1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Answer is - Aaron Brooks !

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 15, 2007.

1. newplayer

newplayer Member

AB will be the next AI, book it. :cool:

2. dedong22

dedong22 Member

all i wanna see from him now is the shooting.... i mean he has been WAYYYYY off on his 3's

3. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Read my first paragraph on my thoughts about giving Aaron Brooks a chance.

Read my 2nd paragraph on my thoughts about the OP, which is makes me correct on both accounts.

:D

And I'm not the one making retarted comparisons to Chris Paul and Tony parker about AB. :rolleyes:

4. poprocks

poprocks Member

Couldn't make a shot in preseason. Did ok in summer leagues but preseason and in practice couldn't make a shot at all.

5. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

i really hope i can believe that. lol. hey, anything is possible. ;) it has been exciting watching him and grow into a good NBA player.

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

So AB will never "practice" again?

Sheesh, c'mon AI can drop 40 at any given night, and is really a 2 guard in PG body. They're both fast and small, that's where the similarity ends.

7. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

What type of data are you basing this on? +/- Assist to TO? I'll agree that Brooks has had a couple of decent games, but how many starting points or even back-ups have an assist-to-TO ratio of 1.2 or less?

He's got a long way to go. For the Chicago game, I think there were other players that had much more impact and better stats. Nine offensive rebounds is pure hustle. Bonzi was a +26 and was 8-11 with 6 boards and 3 steals.

Brooks helped, but his 17 mins was not the difference in the game.

8. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

The more I see of AB, the more I like the guy. 6 assists in 17 min that's efficiency and man, can that boy scoot up the court. His pushing the tempo definitely helped charge up the offense. You know what if he can continue doing what he's doing, who cares if he's not good at shooting 3's right now. He's taking that role of penetrating and dishing and hitting open guys and getting them good looks at the basket. He's quick, he's efficient and he's smart.

Not ready to call him a star as of yet, but he certainly can help facilitate RA's offensive schemes. :p

He definitely rates at least 20-25 min a game. Maybe just maybe this is OUR PG of the future starting next year. :D

9. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

He definately looks good and worthy of more PT but...

I think I could have gotten 4 assists they way they were shooting last night. ;) Hell, I think one of AB's assists was to a Bonzi 3pt where Bonzi wasn't even wide open. :eek: The team was stroking it. They couldn't miss anything. Shane was killing them.

Man that fun to watch ....FFFIIINNNAAALLLYYYY!

10. poprocks

poprocks Member

Brooks did ok. Now lets see how he does against a good team that doesn't lay down and die. Chicago is dead last in shooting and dead last in the Eastern Conference Central Division. Hard to believe from a team that was in the playoffs last year.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Funny how haters label people as knee jerk, or wind walking. But when this thread was made I had watched about 24 games of struggling by our rotation PGs, so it seemed that was enough....let's give Brooks a chance...but of course...to my haters, it is knee jerk.
    :rolleyes:

I just have to keep plodding away and bring all the ignorant haters up to a decent level of basketball knowledge......WOOT.

He will have games where he struggles, he is only a rookie, but even in those games he will still be able to help the team because he will put so much pressure on the other team's defense and cause them to scramble to keep up which creates wide open looks for his teamates.

Where it will be interesting to see is on defense to see if he can keep the bigger PGs out of the lane and stop them from posting him up.

If other small players can do it...AI, Chris Paul, etc.....there is hope that Brooks will eventually be able to do it.

Also, I like how Brooks brings a change of pace.......to the team....the 2nd unit doesn't just talk about running THEY scoot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tmac...you watching?

DD

#311 DaDakota, Dec 23, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He did OK last night. Let's not lay big expectations on him so early. What impressed me was AB helped the team without scoring a lot of points, which is something JL3 couldn't do. Most of his passes were crisp and on target. He can single-handedly break a full court press with his handles and speed. Last night he drove into the lane more, almost always looking to dish. There were times he was single covered and the lane was wide open. Eventually I expect him to drive around his man whenever that happens. One big problem with AB is his defense. To say it's atrocious is being kind. For him to become a rotation player his offense must be good enough to overcome his defense.

When AB gets his shot back we will really see what he can do.

Long term, unless he becomes a dynamic and unstoppable offensive player, I doubt AB will ever be a starter.

13. blastaway

blastaway Member

Steve and Mike James better take note. With AB running like the road runner going beep beep, he has passed them and may not look back except to say hello to them on the bench. :eek:

Unless we trade Wafer, expect him to be your starter in the playoffs no matter what. Rick Adelman will never bench him. :(

14. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

you say that like its a bad thing. rafer has been our best PG and deserves the starting spot. did you see the offense when francis started?

15. blastaway

blastaway Member

Yeah, I saw it....did you see Wafer the last two years and the playoffs? :confused: Don't expect more than that! :eek:

So yes, it is a bad thing to go into the playoffs with Wafer as your starting point guard. The guards in the west will step up their games and become dominant, and Wafer will waste away in brickdom. We won't win with him in the starting lineup no matter how bad Steve or anyone else plays. It's that simple! I will stand by that until he can prove it wrong! I prefer Aaron to start than Wafer...if Steve ends up not being able to get his act together. We may never know about Steve now though, cause I doubt he is going to be getting another shot unless there is an injury.

16. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Anybody watching the Rockets and their PGs sucking this season thus far knew we needed to try someone else, and AB was one of those choices. It didn't take Nostradamus to call that one.

Like that common fan brought to center court to make the half court shot to win a prize, you shoot enough airballs (Langhi, VMac, Boki...), and eventually one *might* make it in.

WOOT :D

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well, then, start the thread next time, don't be afraid to take the heat if you are wrong.

Acheivers are not afraid of failure...you should try it some time.

;)

I do give you props at least for coming in and admitting I was right.

Well done.

DOUBLE WOOT !

DD

18. poprocks

poprocks Member

yeah and I still wanna see Landry. If the guy can play Horford to a standstill in the NCAA tournament, he's good to go.

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I'd hold off patting myself on the back just yet DaD. Brooks did look pretty good but I believe it was due more to the rest of the team pulling their collective heads out of their asses and finally showing up to play a complete game and that made things very easy for him. It's what I've been saying all along: at some point it's all about basketball and these guys can and should be playing harder and better. Last night showed that they can do just that. I still want to see what happens to him when other teams start running him through picks which is what I expect to see more of tonight in Detroit.

It also works wonders when Mr. "It's On Me" decides to quit sulking and plays within the structure of the offense and they face a team that was absolutely pimp-slapped the night before by Boston but a win is a win and we take all wins.

20. blastaway

blastaway Member

I think one point to make in Steve's defense about how he played when he got to start was the Tmac sucked also in those games. He seems to find a way to play better when Alston starts. That's why we were all wondering if he was trying to sabotage Steve.

To make a long story short, I think Adelman is still losing this teams confidence in him. Maybe it's just me, but in all the timeouts, he seems to just be saying nothing worth listening to, or just looking around like he is lost without anything to say at all. If your coach is lost about his system, what should one expect from the players?