1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Answer is - Aaron Brooks !

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 15, 2007.

1. lethe

lethe Member

I really like Brooks, he hasn't got much time to play for rox this season,but I can see this young guy has great potential to be a good PG. Yes he's short and thin, but he has the speed that we need, and he can make three.I hope the coach and teammates give more trust to Brooks.

Head and Brooks play very well in Chicago tonight, maybe they could give us more surprises in future. :)

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Steve is done.

3. Omer

Omer Member

Dude flys through traffic like a jet. He's damn good at penetrating.

Once he gets enough confidence to get those layups in, he will be a star point guard.

He needs more playing time, now.

4. kalmanfilter

kalmanfilter Rookie

nice input,LOL

5. blender

blender Member

Very very impressive game against Chicago by Brooks. Whenever he was in, he completely dictated the pace and flow of the offense, and did an excellent job setting up his teammates.

The only thing I'd like to see now is how he defends against bigger PGs, especially those with post-up games. If he can do a reasonable job then he's pretty much got the backup PG spot.

6. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

Or how about the starting PG spot?

He might have some rough edges right now that separate him from being a starter, it's just that he needs to get them ironed out to make that possible.

Most everyone on this board (including me) agrees that Rafer really is backup PG material on most any other team in the league.

7. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

maybe i'm missing something, but what does brooks do that alston doesnt? he's a little bit quicker but thats it.........the only reason he looked so good is cause people hit shots for once.......the knock on rafer is he cant shoot, and so far brooks hasnt shown he can hit the 3........people knock rafer for the floaters that he takes every other game, but hey, Brooks missed a simple lay up today.........for now make brooks back up alston, cause alston is still the better 3 pt shooter.

8. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

brooks penetrates and passes out to an open man. rafer penetrates and throws up a 25% floater.

brooks and luther work really well together you can tell they practice on the same team a lot.

9. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

If we can get a superstar back, then trade Tmac

10. BroadwayBelm

BroadwayBelm Member

exactly alston's a vet, and brooks has been in the league for 3 months now, and the only thing alston is better then brooks at is 3 pt shooting.

That's the difference.

I'm not an alston hater, but there's a lot to do with the PG position, more then just the stats on the sheet, and brooks has tangibles. O and not to mention 6 assists as well tonight in almost half the time.

11. blender

blender Member

It's too early to say for certain, but I like having Brooks at backup and Alston as starter now. I think it will play to their respective strengths more.

The Rockets' starting PG's role is more about halfcourt offense. The majority of the plays are about slowing it down and setting up Yao or T-Mac for their shots. Alston IMO has been the best at doing this, at "setting up the table" for the big guns, so to speak.

Brooks, on the other hand, looks to be good at the running game. He pushed the tempo yet kept it under control, giving the ball up to the right player at the right time and looking for the fast break opportunities. The second team guys (Bonzi, Head, Scola plus Battier) responded VERY well to the pace today. Not sure how T-Mac and Yao would respond to the same pace, however.

Again, it's too early to tell, but given the makeup of our first and second team, I'd say there's no need for Brooks and Alston to switch places. And if Brooks (and our other backups) can keep this up, this team's future is suddenly looking very good.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It sure is nice to have a change of pace PG coming off the bench to provide a spark.

And it is nice to see the 2nd unit getting that early offense and fast break points.......all because of....ONE guy dedicated to pushing the ball.

It is contangious, hey, maybe one day even Tmac will run......

A man can dream, can't he?

DD

#292 DaDakota, Dec 23, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  13. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Trade

Tmac, Francis, MJ

for

Loul Deng, Ben Gordon, Tyrus Thomas

14. YugoRocketsFan

Hes been raw lately, btw where the hell is a Bonzi Wells appreciation thread, he deserves one.

15. DaDakota

Where is Sam Fisher, Donkey Magic, Hillboy, V3.0.....all the people that thought Brooks could not play?

Huh? Where are you now boys?

Funny how a good quick penetrating PG makes other players look SO much better.

A good PG makes all the difference in the world.

DD

16. rocketshopeful

ahaha i like what i've seen from brooks but your are gloating a little early, right? Just like the some members here saying "I told you so" about adleman, we still have to wait it out just a bit longer to see if he can be this successful consistently, do this don't you think? But yes, I love what brooks can potentially bring on a consistent basis. Did you see him finish that fast break in the first half?! Iversonesque...

17. DaDakota

All I said was...the other guys are sucking, why not give Brooks a try, and I have been harping on the team needing a PENETRATING PG for 4 years.

So, while it may be a bit early, it is still sweet.

:D

DD

18. rocketshopeful

im with ya man. i was excited to see him out there and am glad adleman gave him that much time. I have grown accustom to not seeing rookies getting to much PT. It's refreshing.

19. alcatrazpsycho

I don't want to get overly excited here considering it was just one game, but the 6 assists in 17 minutes is quite an accomplishment... I remember the first game he played he had 5 points in 4 minutes while that very game Steve Francis had 8 points in 23 minutes

did you see those sick passes? when he drove in once I thought "oh no rookie, don't take that layup: bad shot selection" but what? instead while in mid-air he kicks it out to another player wide open for a three

and this kid must have ankles of steel... after catching that one long defensive rebound, he was instantly going full speed

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I made a thread on Aaron Brooks right after he was drafted and applied my own very rough Hollinger analysis. My conclusion was that he would be really good. :D

It will be exciting to watch him grow.