1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tech companies are bloated with leeches. Mass layoffs are necessary in many companies.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Nov 7, 2022.

1. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

yeah Kevin never worked more than 2 hours a day - 10 hours a week. I average around 40 hours a week. Yeah there are points I might put in a few more if needed but I do t think I’ve ever worked over 45 -ever. And other times I’m filling the week with training.

I got off the management path over 25 years ago. Too many meetings and not enough work. And yeah I’m 63 but love working with the 20-30 year olds. And they love working with me. They were pissed when I got moved to right a listing ship - so much so that they continued to complain to upper mgmt until they sent me back (and once the ship was 95% better) We have social hours and they bust a gut with some of my life stories. We text inside jokes during meetings after hours. You have to enjoy the people you work with because you’re going to spend as much time with them as you do your family.

Kevin did find another job - for less pay and an hour and 20 minute commute- each way. Never kept up with him much after that.

If you don’t like your work, find another job. Life’s too short. Not everywhere is going to be a keeper job but sometimes it’s not them - it’s you.

AroundTheWorld and Invisible Fan like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What's funny is 50 years ago the world's leading economists and futurists where debating about what humanity will do with their free time with 20 hour work weeks.

Literally the opposite of their predictions have occured as average work weeks are crawling back up to pre Blair Mountain uprising times.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That's the problem with rot. Some folks believe the praise of a successful goal from leadership is acceptance of the ordinary and ride it without any thought of self improvement while overcompensating with self promotion.

You have those who can't move jobs (too old? Too inexperienced?) and exploit rules or social connections to climb up. Happens everywhere.

I don't mean this negatively but moving or quitting jobs is a privilege. Ideally it would be the privilege for hard work but nowadays it can also mean the negative connotations of privilege.

Some folks on social media definitely want to see Twitter folk recognize/acknowledge the perks they have compared to other workers (to put it lightly) but I don't really think that's a lasting lesson for that workforce.