1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tech companies are bloated with leeches. Mass layoffs are necessary in many companies.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Nov 7, 2022.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I guess this is his new cloud to yell at.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Hoping to return the week after thanksgiving. New treatment hasn’t been fun though. Hopefully we finally have the dosage right.

Nook, Astrodome and AroundTheWorld like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You need a wokeist like me to remind you of this?

Come on buddy they didn't teach you time management at CEO college?

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Not "anyone". Many of them can be one of those, at times (most people aren't evil all the time).

But then there are people like @rocketsjudoka or @bobrek or @durvasa I often disagree with and they are none of the above.

And there are others who can be quite mean at times, but I understand that if one dishes it out like I do, one needs to be able to take it as well. Fair enough. I don't take most of it very seriously, and I forget stuff, so I usually don't hold grudges for a very long time. There are certain lines that shouldn't be crossed.

5. fchowd0311

If I'm any of these posters, I would be offended now.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I put you on ignore for a while because you kept following me around, but...

7. fchowd0311

I have the same amount of free time as any other CEO my friend.

8. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

No need to apologize. My comments are all based on my own personal experience but this idea of entitlement is more trope than reality. Yes, there are employees who live by the rest and vest mantra. But they are the exception rather than the norm. That's a small minority of employees and only a select few companies even allow such employees to stick around.

If you want to point the finger at someone, point at the C-level leaders that allow such a culture to exist. Take Amazon for example. They routinely issue PIPs even in good time to clear the ranks. Its really hard to coast there as you'll eventually get your PIP if you try. But a company like Twitter was run by an absentee CEO in Jack Dorsey for years. Elon in contrast drives his employees into the ground with work so its a complete 180 from the leaderless company that was Twitter. But that's a company culture issue, not an entitlement one. "Entitlement" is a function of bad company culture and leadership.

Nook and fchowd0311 like this.
  9. fchowd0311

Honestly most people don't really care about how you treat other posters.

More like they are concerned with your fascist rhetoric and propagating Neo-Nazi rhetoric about LGBTQ people.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Do your manager friends ever complain about how entitled their younger directs are or how they feel squeezed in between to make the culture work without reprimanding them for poor performance?

The entitlement really is a thing and might need a correction for younger folks to feel.

RedRedemption and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I feel like younger workers understand capitalism and refuse to work without being paid for it. We are at the peak of automation and convenience but want people to labor 40hrs+ and never take off, because, AMERICA? I'm not sure if it's entitlement or natural human clawback.

12. fchowd0311

Yes, 50 years ago due to society seeing the advancements in automation, there were literal professional economists and futurists who literally believed that the near future will bring in a new era of problems of humans not knowing what to do with their free time because they only have to do 10-20 hour work weeks. That is what the tech industry sold to us 50 years ago. It literally is the exact opposite of that prediction now where we as a society have the highest average work weeks in our nation's history since the massive labor reforms of the 20s due to coal miners literally storming hills against machine gun fire just for some basic dignity in their labor.

13. Xopher

Xopher Member

Leave him alone. He is German. Very efficient fellow. ;)

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. Invisible Fan

There will always be a disconnect between feeling what you are due vs what the mgr thinks you're owed.

I find it interesting younger folks demand promos and more rsu issuance after one year of baseline work.

Millennials felt shafted not getting raises for the overtime they put in after the gfc.

Zoomers at fb or Google demand raises just for clocking in, and millennial mgrs don't have much authority other than being counselors or mediators because of how intensely political things have become internally.

RedRedemption likes this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Umm what?

16. fchowd0311

You're year long obsession with spamming things like lobs of tictok and spamming the narrative that there are groomers trying to turn kids gay or trans as an agenda?

That's literally Neo-Nazi rhetoric that has existed for over a century.

You don't remember this?

Your obsession with wokeism aka "cultural bolshevism" as the Hitler stans back in the day would say is literally out of the Nazi playbook.

You suffering memory loss issues dude?

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

18. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

They demand constant raises because the market enables that behavior. Unemployment has more or less been zero in the tech industry for years now. Anyone can get another job instantly if you have a company like Google or Meta on your resume. So of course, zoomers want constant raises. They can just leave and find another job that will pay them more if they don't get it. As I mentioned earlier, I job hopped every two years to get 20% raises at a minimum. My highest in one jump was a 40% raise. But I did it five times over a 10 year period. So if I'm capable of doing that easily, then yeah if a company wants to keep an employee, they better give large and frequent raises. This is all capitalism. Every employee should constantly test their worth in the market and never be complacent.

RedRedemption and fchowd0311 like this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Anyways, the isn't much schadenfreude in this thread for upcoming layoffs, but if there are, these jobs are usually leading indictors for the rest of the economy.

Growth stocks like tech heavily rely on low interest rates and revolving credit lines to fuel their quest for global domination. If rates remains high and ad money dries up, the correction this time will be felt more than the previous dot com bust

I don't disagree and I encouraged all my colleagues to do the same. Times will change as the markets change...

I haven't seen managers and directors in this situation before but they get paid for a reason.

20. fchowd0311

GOP voters want to combat inflation? This is how. You limit growth and increase unemployment to lower demand to match supply.

Do conservative posters here even know the core concept of inflation or the only thing they heard about it was someone saying "government prints too much money"? Just so the right leaning posters who constantly want Biden to take action to "combat inflation", inflation at its core is when demand overwhelms supply.

Come on people! I though you guys love capitalism but don't understand the core concepts regarding it?

In a few months, You will still see posters here b**** about rising unemployment under Biden while in the meantime inflation is steadily declining and won't understand the irony of their b****ing. This is what they wanted.

Sorry Invisible for this rant that is not directed at you obviously.