1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-Wolves want asset in return for taking on T-Mac

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by worzel gummidge, Jan 3, 2010.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What?

You are joking, we don't know that Brooks would have to be part of any deal.....or what the motivations are for getting rid of Rubio.

Come on now...let's not make our own perceptions into facts...

;)

DD

2. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

...Because the poster is a Rockets fan? How do I know about Matt Maloney? I must be a Rockets Wiki creeper.

3. afnorth123

afnorth123 Member

Not sure why everyone is so sold on rubio on this board...

4. DaDakota

Swing and a miss......I was referencing his clearly knowing about my like of Vspan....not that he actually played here.

VSpan has the right to buyout his contract this year and is only 26, if he wants to give it another go, playing for Adelman in Houston would be a great place to do it.

;)

DD

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The "P" word.

Some players have more than others.

6. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Come on DD, it would cost us in getting Rubio. You have to be realistic on these things. If Im Kahn, I would demand nothing less than Brooks be involvded in the trade. Rubio should have been a top 2 pick and his talent is off the charts.

7. DaDakota

However the situation with him has changed, and he is locked up for at least one more year after this overseas.....

And Minny's leverage is pretty weak at this point.....so I think he could be had......for a lot less than what it would have cost on draft night.

DD

8. afnorth123

afnorth123 Member

Even then I'm not sold on him. Obviously the kings feel that he wasnt/will be as good as tyreke evans is.

But I'll hold Judgement until he plays an actual NBA season.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

A cursory glance at wikipedia reveals that the p***y who quit the nba vowing to never return because he wasn't good enough, which he isn't, is 27, going on 28. You are slipping.

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

The article only mentions the two expirings, but I was under the impression that Damien Wilkins was also expiring at $3+ million.

I know this sounds elementary, but to make any speculative deal work, you have to break it down into what benefits each team gets. The bare bottom line for Houston is letting T-Mac's contract expire. They don't have to move it unless it benefits their team somehow.

Minnesota can offer to take on McGrady and give back expiring contracts that cost less than T-Mac's, which would get the Rockets under the luxury tax for this season. That's very appealing to Les... saves him double-digit millions in bread and the Rockets don't take any cap hit beyond this year (in other words, no bad contracts).

They also can offer Rubio, who Morey really likes.

For both Rubio and a healthier bottom line, my guess would be yes -- the Rockets will have to give up an asset or two. But the article doesn't really go in depth much and makes it look like the Rockets have to give up an asset just to give up McGrady.

11. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I would do back flips if Morey could fleece Kahn in aquiring Rubio, but I see it as highly unlikely. You can actually build your team and franchise around Rubio.

12. DaDakota

He sure did quit.....

Still would take him back in a heartbeat.

Agreed.

DD

13. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Again, Rockets' officials HAVE to make sure Rubio would want to play here. I don't want to lose the ability to sign a big name just because Rubio MIGHT want to play here.

Yeah, the climate and weather here is very different from Minny, so the factors that Rubio approves of is all here, but a lot could change in 2 years.

Rubio might like his situation there and not come back to the US, or his parents might tell him not to come anymore. After all, he will be only 21, and might not be completely independent yet.

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

One other thing -- we may groan when we hear the benefit in the deal is "saving Les millions"... I know I do. But he's shown a willingness (quite often lately) to spend money so long as he stays under the luxury tax. Saving Les $10-13 million bones could prove helpful in June when he and Morey are buffeting on early second round picks.

15. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

To be fair, I've seen it referenced here and there in general, particularly when we were discussing Wafer back in the day. And there's always the archives.

16. DaDakota

I agree, I don't mind him looking out for the bottom line in a year in which we are not really contenders....it sets us up for the year when we are contenders in which he can go for broke.

Clearly they want to win, but also keep an eye on the profitability, but we are a bit like Portland was last year now......we have some people coming up that will demand a big raise, how Morey handles all that and keeps us in the "W" column will tell a lot about his overall success as a GM.

He has done a great job building with young talent, the next step is building a champion.....

DD

17. rockets_fanatic

I had no idea you were a V-Span fan. In case you didn't notice he and Rubio are both European guards. One failed and most Rocket fans thought he was the second coming of Tony Parker.

SO yeah, let get rid of our proven PG combo for not one, but two European guys.

18. battousai

battousai Member

Tmac is alot more valuable to many NBA teams than it being projected out there.

First of all, his expiring contract. Just take a look at the last two off seasons. Teams are trying to pry expiring contracts from like a hot cake off the oven. All of that for the cap relief and FA market. Tmac's contract being the biggest mother of all, plus right before the Biggest FA summer ever. Is going to have ALOT ALOT of value.

I am expecting this kinds of talk will heat up close to or nearby the trade deadline.

There are teams out there that knows their chances of getting one of those FA superstars. They are all calling the Agents and see how willing is that individual star would like to play for them (without any money constraits.)

Would Clevelands or Knicks wants to get Lebron? sure! But who can pay more? no one, because if money is an issue that merely few extra millions a year means nothing. Rockets with China as the backbone gold mine is where all the money at.

If you think LA or NYC is a big market for endorsement than think again with 13 billions market in china.

19. DaDakota

I bring in Rubio who is going to be really special, and keep Brooks....who is better than Lowry.

And you can get VSpan as a free agent this offseason, as an asset....and player who would fit PERFECTLY in an Adelman system and is a taller penetrating guard, something this team desperatly needs.

DD

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Brandon Jennings was right...