1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-Wolves want asset in return for taking on T-Mac

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by worzel gummidge, Jan 3, 2010.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Why would Daryl Morey do this. That is the question. The way I read the quote is that Kahn wants an asset to take TMac (Lowry, CBud etc...) not give one up. It sounds like Kahn wants to offer expiring contracts for TMac's expiring contract plus an additional Rockets asset and that just makes no sense.

Now if he is willing to throw in Rubio then he has a right to ask for an additional asset but that is not what the article says.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Agreed, and that would be a huge Coup IMO.

DD

3. rockets_fanatic

Hold up. You were against McGrady becuase he took the ball out of Brooks hands stopping his development, but you would be for getting a new, unproven Euro-guard?

**** Rubio, we don't need Rubio.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

And the article is actual - factual? :confused:

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

FWIW - by the time RR would arrive so would Brooks have arrived; development not the issue.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The article is why this thread was created. The title of the thread is (in case you missed it) "T-Wolves want asset in return for taking on T-Mac".

The article is what we are discussing but apparently you are having a hard to with that concept.

7. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

FYI, Rubio has been compared to some of the greatest PG's of the history. He is a nice prospect, and I wouldn't spit on getting him... depending on the price.
    McLazy+Lowry for Expirings+Rubio i would do. I wouldn't give up our best player (Brooks) for an unproven PG though.

8. DaDakota

I think this is why Conroy was signed to the D-league, to give Morey the flexibility in case he has to give up Lowry for instance.

DD

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Kahn is being absolutely rational. Wolves have no long term bad contracts to dump so McGrady's "expiring" status mean nothing to them. Only way a deal with them works is for Rockets to use McG to get another asset then give that asset or some of their own talent to Wolves in exchange for what Rockets want (Wubio or something else).

10. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Btw, something I don't understand, why would we add to McGrady to get expirings in exchange? Can't we just let him expire if so?

McGrady+Asset for Expirings...

wtf?!

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Ouch, that hurts. I'll try to get over it, tho.

Perhaps everything you read in an article, even on the front page, above-the-fold, daily metropolitan newspaper is dictum but I, a cynic, take the article in a FWIW posture. Kahn will posture; DM the GM will posture. They all posture, and use media outlets to their advantage, which frequently is just to assuage their base.

Is there a doable deal from both teams' perspectives? I believe there is. I believe it includes TMac-splashability and Rubio's 'upside'. But, how do you get there? Just maybe with Cardinal and Blount, Sessions (why did they sign him - except as a 'chip'?) and Rubio. Add: Budinger (I'd hate to lose him) and Voila, a deal? Maybe. remember, Air Bud has received lots of national praise, might be considered excess/disposable from Rox perspective, and -dare I say it? The man can play, and is shhh white.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Lowry leaves...only if he has played himself beyond Rox belief in his (affordable( re-signability. BTW - KL is a Philly lad, and (supposedly) 6ers wanted him last summer. What could that mean?

13. DaDakota

Not true, anyone could leave...Lowry, Brooks, Landry...for the right type of deal.

DD

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sure, you're right. But then again, how does one define 'the right type of deal'? If, for example, Lowry is not likely to be re-signed for a figure worthy of DM the GM's valuation then perhaps a SIGNED Louis Williams or Ramon Sessions has a value worth considering because their values are established into the future.

The Rox have Lowry/Landry/Scola/Hayes/Battier/Yao all coming 'due' by Summer '11, and that's a whole lotta re-signing, or re-placing, to do. That just has to be an input factor in any scenario considered.

15. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Rubio is the most overrated player that ever lived. He's nothing more than an average player in the Euroleague.

16. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

hahahahaha.
    browsing this whole thread, I think Carl Herrera is the ONLY guy that understands math. The rest of you guys.......errr, forget it....i dun wanna be rude.

please understand that the rockets will save 8 MILLION on a pro-rated basis by making this trade, plus luxury tax benefit by doing this trade. So it does make sense financially to include some asset that could help us save 10+ Million.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Kahn has the right to make that statement, depending on what Morey's after. You would think Ricky Rubio is the target. If so, we can't just ship off Tmac for expiring contracts and the rights to RR. No WAY McGrady stays in Minnesota next year.

Matching up contracts is gonna be a beeyotch and a half, though.

If Rubio is the target.....I originally posted in one of the Philly threads that maybe we would acquire Iggy in order to trade for Minnesota expirings and the rights to Rubio. (Not that I'd mind Iggy on the Rox.) After all, Minnesota has no choice but to overpay players (Iggy). Then we would have cap space to re-sign our free agents this summer while suffering one year of Dalembert's contract. Of course, we might hasten Minnesota's rise, but they tend to mess things up anyway....

18. DaDakota

I agree, and if you include an asset like Lowry etc...for the rights to Rubio (someone the Rockets covet)......

Then it makes sense for both sides.....maybe we can snag R. Sessions too.....

;)

DD

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'd do this one...

Successful Trade Scenario
    Congratulations on a successful trade.

Due to Houston and Minnesota being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Houston and Minnesota had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
    Trade ID
    Trade ID #5360611

Every trade made by fans is allocated a unique Trade ID which you can share with friends and fellow basketball fans to allow them to see your trade scenario.

Try Another Trade or visit our Trade Forum.
    Houston Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: +3.9 ppg, +3.8 rpg, and +3.6 apg.
    Incoming Players
    Mark Blount
    7-0 C from Pittsburgh
    No games yet played in 2009-2010
    Brian Cardinal
    6-8 SF / PF from Purdue
    1.3 ppg, 0.7 rpg, 0.8 apg in 8.9 minutes
    Ramon Sessions
    6-4 PG from Nevada
    8.0 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 3.1 apg in 21.5 minutes
    Damien Wilkins
    6-6 SG / SF from Georgia
    6.0 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 1.9 apg in 20.8 minutes
    Ricky Rubio
    6-4 PG from Spain (Foreign)
    Outgoing Players
    Tracy McGrady
    6-8 SG / SF from Mount Zion Christian Academy (HS)
    3.2 ppg, 0.8 rpg, 1.0 apg in 7.6 minutes
    Chase Budinger
    6-7 SF from Arizona
    8.2 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 1.2 apg in 18.5 minutes

Minnesota Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: -3.9 ppg, -3.8 rpg, and -3.6 apg.
    Incoming Players
    Tracy McGrady
    6-8 SG / SF from Mount Zion Christian Academy (HS)
    3.2 ppg, 0.8 rpg, 1.0 apg in 7.6 minutes
    Chase Budinger
    6-7 SF from Arizona
    8.2 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 1.2 apg in 18.5 minutes
    Outgoing Players
    Mark Blount
    7-0 C from Pittsburgh
    Brian Cardinal
    6-8 SF / PF from Purdue
    1.3 ppg, 0.7 rpg, 0.8 apg in 8.9 minutes
    Ramon Sessions
    6-4 PG from Nevada
    8.0 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 3.1 apg in 21.5 minutes
    Damien Wilkins
    6-6 SG / SF from Georgia
    6.0 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 1.9 apg in 20.8 minutes
    Ricky Rubio
    6-4 PG from Spain (Foreign)

Cut Cardinal and Wilkins afterwards.

20. DaDakota

Not Budinger, give them Lowry or Taylor......but not Budinger...heck give them Ariza....but not Budinger.

DD