1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stone lowkey doesn’t like Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jun 16, 2021.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

jiggyfly and Nook like this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

"Of course he won't say it outright, but unlike the rest of you, I can read minds."

fckbandwagons and harold bingo like this.
  3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Dude is proud of himself while being in charge of the worst team in the league.

[​IMG]

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Fine. I think Morey did very well in many ways but he made a number of poor selections which hurt his legacy in my opinion.

Highlyrated and topfive like this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He gunna get a Prada bag cause he prada himself

gon get a hunded buns with the honey buns

That’s just how the Stone rolls

6. Nook

Nook Member

Are we really going to go down this road?

First, the Rockets highest draft picks under Daryl Morey were 12th, 14th and 14th......... and that was over 13 seasons.

He didn't have even any top 10 lottery picks to use... he had three at the very end of the lottery.

So it is pretty hard to determine if he is or isn't really good at the draft.

What we do know is that he had an interest in James Harden in the draft but lacked anyway to deal for him. He also liked players like Jonas Valanciunus, Damian Lillard, Myles Turner, Devin Booker and Mikal Bridges. The Rockets just couldn't put together a deal to get anything done.

He also took Clint Capela #25 in the draft and he is the third best player in that entire draft. He drafted Chandler Parson's in the second round, he drafted DeAnthony Melton, Montrez Harrell, and Aaron Brooks.

He passed on KwhaI Leonard (as did half the league).... he passed on Draymond Green (as did the entire league) and he passed on Jokic (as did the entire league).

His for his tenure he was told to win NOW and had very limited draft picks. He overall be fine for where he picked. Even the Marcus Morris pick. As Morris has turned out to be better than most 14th picks.

I am not saying he is Jerry West or Sam Presti, but he also didn't have the quality of picks that they had either and he was never in a position to take a player to develop and Les Alexander said win now. Hell, the year that the Rockets fell apart and McHale was fired, resulted in an angry Les Alexander telling Morey to spend the cap money or else.

7. rockets13champs

Im with stone I don’t like Morey either

Highlyrated likes this.
  8. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

So far, Stone's record (and I'm factoring the Westbrook trade into it, as well as Wall, Oladipo, Wood, etc.) is that he likes to make big moves, and occasionally he gets one right, but mostly they're spectacular failures.

FrontRunner, mikol13, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Very hard to evaluate in some ways.

He was given the directive from day one to win, and to not rebuild.

Every move that Morey made had to take that directive into account.

When the Rockets did take a step back, Les Alexander became quite angry and choose the Rockets next coach (MDA) and directed Morey to not sit on the cap space but to spend it or else (Anderson/Gordon).

We also do not fully know the amount of pressure from Fertitta when it came to the CP3 trade, the Westbrook deal and moving assets to get out from the luxury tax. That doesn't even take into account Tilman sitting on the Greene trade until it was too late.

I think of the Knicks the last 25 years. All of those GM's they hired were not terrible, in fact a few of them were quite good..... but they had a very meddlesome owner that pushed for short sighted deals, and let voices other than the GM have sway.

jch1911 and D-rock like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

D-rock, B-Bob, Zboy and 1 other person like this.
  11. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

Your click bait title got me. Just needs the slideshow and popups.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

“I get less frustrated. I’m an opinionated person. I’m a strong-willed person. And so I always want things to go a certain way. So it’s easier now to make sure that the things I want happen in exactly the way I want them to happen.”

Did the Dipo disaster go down exactly the way he wanted it to happen?

13. alethios

alethios Member

14. DonatelloLimestone

[​IMG]

15. DonatelloLimestone

No, he said we're not supposed to evaluate him until 10 years. which would make him among the longest serving GMs. brilliant 4d Chess

FrontRunner, D-rock and Zboy like this.
  16. zmomin

zmomin Member

lol we've also done spectacularly around the margins but sure. i don't know how this thread feels about the wall/westbrook swap but i'm fine with it. the pick should convey 2026 + russell westbrook does absolutely NOTHING for the team. the goal is an nba championship. not 65 triple doubles a year + disappearing in the playoffs again. westbrook asked for a trade and no one was offering anything for someone with the worst contract in the league.

17. DonatelloLimestone

It makes sense for a our timeline bc frankly westbrook is better than Wall and a floor raiser. If we kept westbrook, we wouldn't be able to be at the bottom of the league. That said, as he played better he might be more tradeable this year vs wall who is close to hopeless and putting in 80 plus million on the books for the next two years. ITs not the worst thing bc we aren't really in spending in FA, we're rebuilding so if the allocation goes to a vet, then whatever, and thats just for the owner to deal with our rebuilding timeline shouldn't be too affected unless we od the worst thing, package assets we should be collecting to get rid of walls contract.

Given our timeline, getting rid of westbrook was fine. Wall is just terrible wasteful contract, but once again at this point it isn't consequential for our team

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Don’t see any “spectacular failures” yet.
    Of course the Harden trade TBD. Nothing to show for currently.

SIGNED
    Mason Jones(2W)
    Kenny Wooten(Claimed Off Waivers)
    Jae’Sean Tate
    Bruno Caboclo
    Sterling Brown
    DeMarcus Cousins
    Gerald Green
    Jerian Grant
    Trevelin Queen(E10)
    Brodric Thomas(E10)
    William McDowell-White(2W)
    Trey Mourning(E10)
    Josh Reaves(E10)
    Brodric Thomas(2W)
    Ray Spalding(2W)
    Justin Patton(2W)
    Anthony Lamb(2W)
    Mason Jones(10D)
    Armoni Brooks(2W)
    DaQuan Jeffries(Claimed Off Waivers)
    Khyri Thomas(10D)
    Cameron Oliver(10D)
    Cam Reynolds(10D)

WAIVED/RELEASED
    Trevelin Queen
    Jerian Grant
    Trey Mourning
    Gerald Green
    William McDowell-White
    Josh Reaves
    Bruno Caboclo
    Chris Clemons
    DeMarcus Cousins
    Mason Jones
    Ben McLemore
    Justin Patton
    DaQuan Jeffries

TRADE
    Bob Covington to Portland for Trevor Ariza, Isaiah Stewart and a 2021 1st round pick (#23)

Trevor Ariza, Isaiah Stewart, cash & 2027 2nd round pick to Detroit for Christian Wood, 2021 1st round pick & 2021 2nd round pick(via LAL).

Cash Considerations & a 2021 2nd round pick(via LAL) to Sacramento for KJ Martin

Tadija Dragicevic, Axel Hervelle, Sergio Llull & Austin Rivers to New York for Issuf Sanon; Houston also gets TPE

Russell Westbrook to Washington for John Wall & a 2023 1st round pick

James Harden to Brooklyn for Rodion Kurucs, 2021 1st round pick(swap), 2022 1st round pick, 2023 1st round pick(swap), 2024 1st round pick, 2025 1st round pick(swap), 2026 1st round pick & 2027 1st round pick(swap); Caris LeVert, 2023 2nd round pick(via HOU) to Indiana for Victor Oladipo; Jarrett Allen & Taurean Prince to Cleveland for Cleveland’s 2024 2nd round pick(to Brooklyn); Dante Exum & a 2022 1st round pick to Houston(via MIL)

2024 2nd round pick(via GSW) to Cleveland for Kevin Porter Jr.

P.J. Tucker, Rodion Kurucs, 2021 2nd round pick & a 2022 1st round pick to Milwaukee for D.J. Augustin, D.J. Wilson, 2021 1st round pick & a 2023 1st round pick

Victor Oladipo to Miami for Avery Bradley, Kelly Olynyk and a 2022 1st round draft pick(swap)

19. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

He feels the same way I feel about morey,too nerdy and relies too much on statistics ,has no basketball background
    1000% agree ,Morey is smart but not wise,from Stone comments it seems he heavily disagreed with morey on many things, so far ppl can't deny that Stone has done a good job ,Morey did good things too but it's viable to say he made some terrible decisions towards the end of his tenure.Btw Morey if you ever read this ,trade overrated simmons,there ya go I helped you

20. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They’re the same age?? o_O

…….
    …….
    …….