1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STATISTICAL ANALYSIS about the wild MVP RACE and HARDEN/CURRY vs PREVIOUS MVP WINNERS (VOA)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Voice of Aus, Mar 25, 2015.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Here is the way I look at it:

1. When both teams are completely healthy, GSW is still a better team
    2. GSW has had very few injuries to their starters and core players while we have been rather unlucky
    3. Curry is surrounded by great shooters and Harden is surrounded by ****ty ones
    4. GSW's offense comes from multiple sources whereas James Harden IS our offense
    5. Due to 1-4, Harden is MVP hands down

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I'm not sure which team is better if completely healthy, we haven't been that since the 2nd game, and they were that yesterday.

Given that though, i'd say they're far more likely to be completely healthy, which is where winning comes from.

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

GSW are media darlings.

rockets are media villains.

media votes for mvp.

i'm going to multiply these 3 stats together into something i like to call Total Media Response (TMR). results are below:

Curry - 50,000 TMR
    Harden - 50 TMR

Now lets compare this year's candidates to previous MVP's TMR scores:

Lebron '09 - 1,000,000 TMR
    Kobe '08 - 800,000 TMR
    Durant '14 - 100,000 TMR
    Dirk '07 - 75,000 TMR
    Curry '15 - 50,000 TMR
    westbrook '15 - 25,000 TMR
    lebron '15 - 15,000 TMR
    Davis '15 - 5,000 TMR
    CP3 '15 - 4,000 TMR
    Harden '15 - 50 TMR

so as you see, the media will vote for who they like best.

4. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I'm sorry VOA. This is too complicated. We need a JCDenton graph!

(j/k great job)

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Wow. Incredible formulaic approach. Impressed.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

VOA, did you accidentally change Harden's TPP from 8.95 to 9.85 between two of your tables in the OP?

7. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Yep, the above.

The common way would be to line up various stats throughout the years and do correlation tests vs. those stats and MVP votes/winners. You can then figure out an assigned weight or coefficient for a few stats with the highest correlation. Once you have that linear equation, give it a name, and plug in Harden/Curry's stats for this year and see whose is higher.

8. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

I remember reading a stat a few weeks ago that said something along the lines of the MVP hasn't missed more than 11 games 30+ years. I can't remember how long, but IMO that alone should remove Westbrook, LeBron, and Davis from legitimate contention...

Harden should be slightly ahead of Curry due to the narrative of carrying the team and the overall amount of injuries overcome by the Rockets this season, I think Harden deserves it more, but the f***ing media will likely vote for Curry...

9. RESINator

RESINator Member

Bingo.

I'm sorry OP you put in a sincere effort but this is not statistical analysis.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

We should trade this playoff no show-er ASAP. Right guys?

We got Dwight. He dominated back in the day and also dominated when faced against side show bob on single coverage. Dwight is the real MVP.

Well other than the god Morey. #MVGM