1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Speed Racer trailer (for better or worse, it's what anime looks like in real life)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Oski2005, Dec 6, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I have an unfair biased negative opinion of the main character. That Alpha Dog movie was extremely annoying (even though based on real events), especially the main guy. Ever since then, I can't help buy be annoyed when I see this guy's face, which is unfair since I've read that the Into the Wild movie is really good.

2. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

So far, I've been hearing better reviews than I expected.

I have now gone from "not going to watch it" to "maybe watch it when it comes out on bluray"

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Saw it last night. Critics are dorks. I really enjoyed it.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If Speed Racer is a success. . . I can bet on a Live Version of Akira

Rocket River

5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

finally a review I can trust.

6. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Look, it's not Good Will Hunting. It's not a character piece with a tight script...it's just fun. That's the only word I know to describe it best...fun. People were clapping in the theater. It's a total suspension of reality for 2 hours. Enjoy it.

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

That's not a sign of a good movie. That's a sign of a crappy audience.

:)

9. mic

mic Contributing Member

I'm excited. I have a feeling most of the people who disliked it must not have "gotten" what Speed Racer is and what it's all about. It's not supposed to be heavily plot-driven. It's basically the same as when there were very mixed reviews for 300. I think people expect a little too much from these kinds of movies...

I'm going to see it tonight.

10. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

If that's your attitude, then you will definitely enjoy it.

11. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I saw it last night. Not disappointed since I wasn't expecting much, but wasn't really blown away by it either. Like MadMax said, it was fun. Had it's funny moments.

One thing that could've been better:
    More character development from the monkey

Thing(s) that really annoyed me:
    That Korean racer guy, I think they call him "rain" or something in Asia. Am I the only one who thinks his acting is HOORRIBBLEE?!?! and holy **** what the hell was he saying? The guy can't act, I can't understand what he's saying, and his face is annoying.. especially with that god awful hair and those bangs. I think the only reason why he's in it was cus of his pretty face

All in all, I think I'm gonna go see Iron Man again tomorrow.

12. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

I just saw it with the kids. They both loved it and I thought it was decent entertainment. Susan Sarandon should get an oscar for keeping a straight face through some of those lines.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

saw it last night, great cinematography (sp) a little long but impressed with how they stuck to heart of the cartoon. the only real criticism i would have is actually the guy who played Speed. I think they could have had a better main actor but still a good movie.

14. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

well looks like it bombed

http://www.joblo.com/weekend-box-office

I think they released this too early, should've released it in June/July since the kiddos would be out of school at that time and expand the possible audience. Their advertising was pretty bland, could've been better.

I'm planning to see this regardless, just because Wild Hogs made millions last year, didn't mean I was going to see it :p

15. AGBee

AGBee Member

The movie was a lot of fun. They really pulled off the 2D cartoon style with the crazy transitions and wipes, parallax backgrounds, foreground and background characters both being in focus, speed lines, etc.

If they had made an entire movie in this style based on fighting instead of racing (the 2 fight scenes in the movie were hilarious and looked amazing), I don't think you'd be seeing half of the negative reviews that are coming out right now.

16. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Take it from someone who is a total movie snob.The critics just don't get it with this one. I really enjoyed this movie. Very trippy and vibrant. Loved John Goodman. This is the best movie by the W. Brothers since The Matrix.

Word of mouth might turn this into a hit. If it make the same amount of money next week as this week then it'll be a hit. I remeber Titanic opened to simillar numbers and people were calling it a failure. That's before all the teenage girls started talking it up etc...

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't think that many people were into Speed Racer as a kid, and a lot of kids today aren't familiar. Also, honestly I would have never gone to see this if my wife of all people didn't want to see it. the trailers on television do not do this movie justice

18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I was on the fence all weekend about checking out this flick and I just couldn't pull the trigger, think i'll check it out when it hits bluray, glad to hear some better feedback here though.

19. dookiester

dookiester Member

i wish some studio had spent an equivalent amount of marketing muscle to push this movie instead:

The Fall

not a movie with rave reviews (critics hate the director bc they think he spends more time on visuals than story) but its a singular experience that doesn't rely on ridiculous CGI effects to create mesmerizing images. its only got a limited release right now which boggles my mind because the movie is incredible. if it had half the support some of these other movies had it easily could've beaten speed racer or 'what happens in vegas' at the box office. i hope the film does well enough to see a wider release because everyone should have the opportunity to watch this captivating movie.

20. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

I went to see it on Saturday w/ my nephew, my gf refused (not a fan of Speed Racer).
    Which probably turned out good because this movie is not for everyone.

It took me a while to get used to the graphics, and at one point I thought I might leave and duck into Harold and Kumar.
    But then all of a sudden the movie took off!
    The racing was fantastic!
    And although the flick was a little 'too kiddie' for my taste,
    it stayed true to the original and I left the theater satisfied and almost teary eyed reminiscent of my childhood.

It's not better than Iron Man, but definitely worth watching if you are/were a fan of the original or know younger ones who you want to share that experience with.