1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Speed Racer trailer (for better or worse, it's what anime looks like in real life)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Oski2005, Dec 6, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

2. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

The more trailers I see, the more I like.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm really interested in seeing this.

I remember watching speed racer reruns on mtv at like 1AM when I was a kid.

It will be cool to see it come to life.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

My 3 year old asks me if we're going to see this movie virtually every morning.

5. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I'm totally gonna get baked out of my skull and go see this.

6. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I think the effects look terrible. It looks SO fake. Don't know if that is the look they are going for on purpose, but I actually laughed at how bad it looked the other day on a DVD.

I was about as big of a Speed Racer fan as it gets when I was a kid, but this is going to be one awful movie. Just wait...

I can understand nostalgia kicking in and people wanting to see the return of Speed, but this just looks ridiculous. Bums me out. Hopefully I am wrong

7. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

It's not supposed to look real. That's pretty obvious from the trailer when the cars were drifting like mad and doing flips over one another; plus the vibrant color palette they used to bring this world to life kind of gives it away as well. And that's what I think will separate this from other run of the mill racing movies.

8. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Advance review, not much in the way of spoilers:

AICN.com link

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The should've dubbed it in Japanese and put Engrish subtitles on the bottom.

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/66ibuZKVdEc&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/66ibuZKVdEc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

11. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

sweet, who else is dropping acid and watching this.

12. Lynus302

Not acid, but

13. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Reminds me of F-Zero.

14. Lynus302

Man....I said the same thing to someone the other day. They were like "huh?"

Showed my age, I guess. They were too young for SNES.

15. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

The opening scene from the movie:

<object width="400" height="327" id="uvp_fop"><param name="movie" value="http://l.yimg.com/cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/fop/embedflv/swf/fop.swf"></param><param name="flashVars" value="id=7729952&rd=eyc-off&ympsc=&postpanelEnable=1&prepanelEnable=1&infopanelEnable=1&carouselEnable=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed height="327" width="400" id="uvp_fop" allowscriptaccess="always" src="http://l.yimg.com/cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/fop/embedflv/swf/fop.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars="id=7729952&rd=eyc-off&ympsc=&prepanelEnable=1&infopanelEnable=1"></embed></object>

16. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

so is this what Akira would look like too?

17. Lynus302

I just got back from this. Speed Racer totally kicked ass. A really enjoyable movie.

I've heard the reviews aren't good, but I don't know why. Classic Speed Racer poses and everything. Ricci is hot. Matthew Fox looks cool and makes a great Racer X. Very well acted all-around.

The Mach 5 is AWESOME.

18. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

This looks like the first case in movie adaptation history where the original cartoon is more realistic than the movie. Except for when that acrobat daredevil driving team showed up in the cartoon. Those guys could stack their cars ontop of eachother.

19. WildSweet&Cool

Well, really, when you think about it....
    Imagine what it must have been like to try making a live-action movie from the Speed Racer cartoons. I mean.. how difficult would that be! The characters were way over the top, the dialog was poorly converted from Japanese, the plots were silly and childish, the races were ridiculously extravagant.... how does one go about making a movie out of that? A [/B]good movie?

Those first 7 minutes looked pretty durned good.

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

It'd be Cannonball Run with a James Bond theme without the ensemble cast.