1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Something Old .... Something New

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oeilpere, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

OP,

Do the Rockets still have any interest in Marc Jackson? Maybe, a resigned Willis/Collier for Jackson in a sign & trade?

Speaking of Willis, do they plan on resigning him, or does he even want to come back?

2. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How about bringing in Stockton to school Steve? That should be cheaper, and pay more dividends. I can't imagine giving anything of value (Steve, Cat, Griff) for Malone. I'd take him for trash, sure, but wouldn't give the 5th pick. 14th and Taylor, Rice or Cato, + Mooch or KT, ok.

I'd be surprised to see the Rox pull off anything major. They blew it with Rice, Taylor and Cato already. The only option is to take someone else's big stiff with fewer years on the contract. 1 big stiff for two or three medium stiffs. Barring that your players who will be here are

Steve (headaches)
    Cat - chek mark - good year
    Rice (damaged)
    Mo T (damaged)
    Cato ( um, yeah.)
    Griffin (young, thin)

+ or minus

Mooch (TLD)
    KT (undersize)

The () indicate trouble exchanging the player for value.

We really need a quality big man, much more than a quality 3. There is just no inside presence on this team. I hope we get one in the draft or trade. I just looks hopeless in the West without some inside muscle.

3. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

The most probable thing would be Rice + pick for Marshall. One thing I don't know is what the status of the option on Marshal's contract is. Has the Jazz exercized it already? In any case Marshall could be a free agent after one year, or could be a free agent right away, so the rockets will free some cap space in the rich 2003 FA season. Would that be worth the #5 pick? I don't think so. If it was to get rid of MoTay contract, then maybe. Rice's contract is only 2 years. I think it is worth Toront's pick though.

I wouldn't mind keeping marshal for a year either. We need to do everything possible to get to the playoffs next year. It will be nice for the guys to get a taste of it, plus we'll be sending our pick to Memphis. The problem is, I don't see it happening. Seattle, LA Clip, Golden State, and Phoenix will all be better than the Rockets, and Utah and Memphis will at least be as good as the Rockets.

4. Bay Rock

Bay Rock Member

According to the Jazz website, Marshall is a FA this summer.
    http://www.nba.com/jazz/news/warner_forwards.html

In June, can you trade players whose contract expire July 1?
    If so, this may be a way for the Rockets to free up cap space to pursue Lewis.

However, Marshall for Rice wouldn't work straight up, the Jazz would have to add more salary. If the Jazz threw in Kirilenko, I would do it.:D

5. Hydra

Hydra Member

You cannot trade for a player whose contract is expiring after the trading deadline, unless it is a sign-and-trade.

6. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Have you ever read Barkley's comments on Steve and Cuttino? If they didn't listen to Barkley, why would they listen to Stockton?

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Have you heard Steve's comments (especially from yesterday) in relation to the incident. Not that Barkley ever exaggerates or says r****ded stuff:rolleyes:

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

JayZ - totally forget Barkley's comments. Your honest opinion - would Steve Francis listen to and learn the game from John Stockton? Be honest.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think to an extent, yes. Obviously there wouldn't be many sit down dinners or anything, but I beleive Francis recognizes what does and doesn't work on the court, would see what Stockton does, and would definitely learn from it. On the other side, Steve is still his own player and won't just sit down and be a student or anything. Ironically, it is the same attitude a player like Barkley had/has - respect for the elder, more experienced players, but energetic youth and confidence in themselves.

10. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One bonus for bringing Stockton in - Steve's foul trouble goes "poof". Instant respect, so long as he looks over at the bench for "coach backup's" approval or reaction once or twice a game.

11. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

We should trade for Stockton for the sole purpose of making him the locker room b****...especially if we draft Caron Butler or Lee Benson...I'm sure he was Butler's type of b**** when Butler was in the pokey :D

12. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

so, where are you, old wise one...

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Probably too tired to read through all these posts.

Sheesh.

:D

DaDakota