1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Something Old .... Something New

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oeilpere, Apr 18, 2002.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

:D :D :D

Yesterday, I saw Lewis postup and take the ball one-on-one to the hoop. He took 15 shots and not one three-pointer. So to those of you think all he can do is shoot on the outside, have you actually seen him play? He is also very athletic and runs the court well. His defense, while not spectacular, is not noticably bad. Lewis would be the grand prize for the Rockets this offseason.

2. DCkid

Huh? The deadly outside shooting, high field goal percentage, low turnovers, and good rebounding haven't impressed you. Did I mention he was only 22 years old? The fact you wouldn't pay ANYTHING to get him is pretty funny, and makes me wonder how much you really know about him.

3. Sane

Sane Member

I just don't think he's a MAX player. Steve MIGHT be a MAX player. But Rashard has long ways to go before he's a MAX player, don't you think?

I don't know if Rashard's FG% would be as high with Francis, rather than Payton, urnning the show. Payton is a master. He knows the game inside-out.

The MAX is around 12M isn't it?

4. Sane

Sane Member

OH, and, btw, these days almost everyone is "just 22 years old". There are tons of young players in the league. Before, 22 was considered WOW. Now, it's the 19's and 20's that are considered wow. Rashard has shown us great improvement. I think he's a really good player. But if you'd pay ANYTHING to get him, then I wonder who the overrated one is, Lewis or Odom?

Odom hasn't, and won't demand the MAX unless he shows us he's worth it. Lewis compares himself to Kobe. I mean, come on, KOBE??????

I'm telling you. I'd have to see improvement in 3 areas:

1) REAL effort on defense. Scrappy defense is fine. The effort is most important.

2) Better ballhandling.

3) Some improvement in the post.

If he has these 3 things when we're signing him, by all means give him the MAX.

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Malone is 39!!!!!

This would be soooooooooooo stupid for the Rockets to get him. Expect to see a sharp decline and injury problems next year.

If the mormons are indeed asking about our picks and the rockets are looking for a 3-4 type player I bet it's about Donyell Marshall.

6. DCkid

Well, if that's what you're talking about then there is no way I see him getting the max from the Rockets. If the Rockets thought for sure they would have to pay him the max they wouldn't even be looking at him. I think Rashard's desire to come home and be close to family and friends might be just as big of a reason for his decision as the money. You remember how devestated he was when he didn't get drafted by Houston?

There is almost no doubt in my mind that he would take less money to play in Houston rather than take more money to play in Seattle. The only questions are how much less would he be willing to take and how much do the Rockets actually have to give? I mean he's not stupid. If the Rockets can't come up with a good enough deal, I'm sure he'll remain a Sonic. But I definitely don't see him shrugging off Houston just because they can't give him the max.

7. The Real Shady

The Rockets are pushovers when it comes to contracts. They will definately give Lewis the max.

I agree that the Rockets need to do what it take to land Rashard. I would like our chances with Francis, Mobley, Lewis, and Griffen on the court together for years to come.

8. DCkid

Really? My only question was, is it even possible to give Rashard the Max? Can someone who knows anything about capspace and the Rockets money situation comment on that. On top of that, we're already giving Steve the max this offseason. Especially with the other five big contracts we have on our team (Mobley, Taylor, Cato, Moochie, Rice). When does the money and cap space run out? I would think the Rockets would have to move A LOT of contracts to even consider giving Lewis the max, and I just don't how they're going to get rid of some of those guys. Rice is a HUMONGOUS injury risk. Taylor is a BIG injury risk. Cato is probably way too overpaid for most teams liking. Moochie is overpaid unless the team sees him as a starting point guard. And Mobley is probably not for sale. So I ask, how could the Rockets give Lewis the max?

9. The Real Shady

The Rockets would need to do a sign and trade in order to get Lewis. I think that the contacts would have to be within 15% of each other. So this would mean giving up our draft picks along with Rice and another filler like Moochie in order for the Rockets to be close enough to get it within the range of Lewis new contract. The Rockets can be over the cap with their own players just look at Portland. They will have to pay a luxury tax though.

10. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sign and trade.

You are right, DCkid, in that the Rockets are way over the cap and will be hard pressed to sign Lewis or any other high priced free agent. I am no cap expert, but as long as the salaries match (give or take 15%), you can trade. We have lots of salaries to trade. I don't know if anybody wants them, but we have lots of salaries to trade.

Also, does anyone know how unsigned draft picks are figured for trading purposes?

11. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh man, I type to slow.

12. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Unsigned first round picks begin counting as team salary (against the cap) immediately upon their selection in the draft. They count as team salary according to the scale salary for that pick, unless there is a verbal agreement for a higher salary.

My 2 cents:

Making a run at Rashard is contingent on losing Rice's contract. Hence, no takers for #5 + Rice = No Rashard.

A S&T for Rashard gets a little tricky as the Draft predates when Lewis would declare he is not taking the Player Option. I believe the date is July 1st.

There are only two teams where a S&T would not be required - Bulls & Clippers. Do either of them covet the Rockets pick enough to take on Rice's nearly $9.2m contract?

If Chris Webbers' contract is an indication, then the 1st year of the Max is $12.75m. Personally, I think Rashard would take $9m - $11m to come home. And sans Rice's contract, this is very possible.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Why does everyone think Malone's headed this way? I must've missed the reasoning. The guy's nearly 40, and by the time this team's ready to make serious damage in the playoffs, he'll be well, older. On top of that, why would he want to come here and why would Utah trade him to a division rival? If Utah trades away one of the 2 greatest players ever to play for them, I'm guessing it's going to be to a championship-caliber team (if it can be done) so the guy can get a ring, not to a team trying to rebuild, retool, reload, rewhateverwe'redoingthisyear.

How about Kirilenko, Donyell, etc?

14. The Real Shady

GATOR:

I think the 12.75m is the veterans max. I believe that the max for Rashard would be a little less than that starting at around 10 mill, but I'm not sure.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

TheRealShady,
    You're in the ballpark. Rashard's max would start at around $9-something mil. The question is, is he worth that much? Will his salary be divisive for the team?

Rice's contract is up in two, so I think he can be shipped out to somebody along with our pick(s), but we'd better get out the rabbit's foot, clover leaf, horseshoe, Jerry Krause's pennies (anyone remember his "lucky" pennies? on second thought, considering the Bulls' draft luck, we'll skip his pennies and get our own)...

16. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

What in the heck is a 3-4 player? Do they even exist? I thought we already had three (MoT, KT, EG) that we were not sold on their ability to play the 3-- making them fake 3-4s.

I've heard of 2-3 and 4-5 players but not genuine 3-4s.

Also, Max players earn it on the floor over 82 games not in the headlines and, most certainly, not in their own heads.

Give me Rashard Lewis over Stevie Franchise if push comes to shove. I'd rather have them both, of course.

17. Live

Live Member

Great post, OP!

Care to dreamcast a potential trade for, say, Lewis?

Also, do you think the Rockets would be better served keeping Rice for a while, and assuming he's healthy and regains some form, allow his play to increase his trade value, and then look to move him to a contender come the deadline looking for another scorer/outside shooting/veteran leadership? (Sorry if this sentence is akward. ;) )

Could the same happen with Mo?

18. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

RS - You are absolutely correct. Rashard's Max should be a little over $10,625,000 (the Max figure for last season for a player with his experience). Again, a very "doable" amount without Rice.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

GATER, I was referring to potential luxury tax going forward, specifically '03-'04.....when Francis' MAX + any other contracts we pick b/t now and then may kick us into LT territory.

I too would be elated to get rid of Rice's contract (I was against his acquisition from the first 5min it was posted here last summer), but I'm not too happy with the idea of giving up our pick just to save the front office some money (it's not like getting rid of his contract would get us under the cap to sign more talent).

I'm also not enamoured w/ Rashard's play AT ALL. He is soft as marshmallows. I counted 3 plays last nite alone where he could have easily gotten to a loose ball on the floor and just watched instead. I don't know if it's lack of desire or that he doesn't want to risk injury b4 he bags his MAX contract, but I don't want him on my squad. He doesn't rebound, can't dribble, is a below average passer and defender, and has zero post-up skills for a 6'10" player. And on top of all this, he thinks he's in Kobe's class. I'd rather just keep Rice than get tied up to this fool long-term.

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Rashard's playing on a bad ankle, and he's very young and could be improving his game, so I don't know how what we'd be getting if we nab the guy.

I don't think he's worth the max, though. Hopefully he would take less to come here. Otherwise, he's staying put, 'cause very few teams will have cap space this year, and none of them will have $10 mil, so sign-and-trade or stay put is the way to go.