1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Some Rocket's Prospects at the Pivot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oeilpere, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Eric

Eric Member

Hey Pete Rose Mobster...

Dude! I was reading this thread and getting all excited that Jahidi could be the man we were looking for at the five and how he was a "monster" and that MJ might be thinking of dealing him... and then I saw that picture and wanted to cry!

After seeing that, I don't think anyone can start a post with, "Even though he's only 6'9 ...."

sorry that came out twice (eric)

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Othella, learning to shoot a gun??

See Rudy and CD run, run far far away

3. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Long term, Jahidi looks too expensive, but i say we should only get him if they want him for the long term. Otherwise, I say we make Cato put up or shutup. We are stuck with him and he is going to have to play for the pay.

I always liked Othella, but I like Kenny the sameor better. There is no need for O if we don't use him at the five spot exclusively. Anyway, Collier may work his way into the spot by December and we would save all that money for next year.

4. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Op, if Jackson is not the man, then he should be. No if, ands or buts about it. If NJ can go with TODD at that price, then we should go for Jackson at that price. We are not like NJ, GS or Sonics, this is glorious opportunity to close up shop with Jackson and contend seriously.

5. Rocket Addict

Rocket Addict Contributing Member

I would love to see us pick up Jahidi if the trade included Hubert Davis. That way we could fill that back up two guard position at the same time.

Surely, the Wizards don't need Alexander, Hamilton, Davis, and Jordan? at the two.

Just speculation, but a deal that includes Collier, the Wizard, and KT would probably do the trick and balance out our roster.

C - White, Cato
    PF - Mo, Griffin, Bull
    SF - Griffin, Langi, Tmo
    SG - Cat, Davis
    PG - Franchise, Moochie

6. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Hehehehe. Wrong type of balls.

7. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Will: Actually I was always under the impression that O got his nose out of shape NOT because of a contract. He was getting some starter minutes at the time, but he was still a long way from making the big money. His issue with RT was that he had somewhat of a guarantee that he would be in Houston for a while. But hell NO Guarantees. In 1999, he signed a seven year contract for 17 or so million and that is/was the going rate for his services. That would be comparable to what RT may have paid him had he stayed in Houston.

On Another Note:

1. It appears OH is out of the running as Longley will likely retire and the NBA friont office is likely to give the Knicks a hardship (medical) relief clause. Othella just may be more valuable where he is in NY for them to move him.

2. Of a stranger note, I read an email this weekend by someone in the northeast who frequently writes me about a speculative move by Houston to unload Cato, plus and take both Longley and Othella in the balance. I don't know if I give that rumor/speculation/fantasy any credence. But it is interesting to ponder. Especially in that this guy is a Knick's fan and covers them for a small New England newspaper.

3. After all the postings on this thread and all the interesting side angles, it is probable that McCoy is the front runner. He has the lowest price tag (presummably), maybe enticed into a short contract, and he would fit nicely with us (a la Carlos role).

4. No mention of Huffman or Axel but I am assuming they are a last ditch effort if all else falls apart ...... i.e. .... Cato is traded or falls flat on his face, McCoy opts to play hardball in negotiations or decides Europe/Seattle is more profitable, Collier continues to come "sloooooooowwwlllly along", Pig is shot by the sheriff, and Carlos has signed in Detroit or Toronto or Italy for peanut.

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Jahidi White would be a nice acquisition, I would definitely take Othella Harrington! I think he can play the center position on the Rockets since the Rockets will be a speed team, and there aren't many true centers available. How many years are left on Luc's contract, it shouldn't be that much left. If the Rockets could dump Cato's contract and get Othella and Luc that would be nice, especially since Luc would be more productive with a big contract then Cato would be.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Hey Rocket Addict:

If it works out cap-wise, I LOVE your trade proposal:D

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

McCoy on a 1 year deal with a 2nd year option wouldn't be too bad.

If we choose not to make a move for a guy on a long term contract, we'd have plenty of cap to pursue RLF next summer, when he's a restricted free agent. (Assuming he doesn't sign his extension this year).

No way would I do Cato for Harrington and Longley. Longley is about to retire, and he's a cap nightmare along the lines of Jayson Williams- 3 years left, 6.325, 6.9, and 7.475. Cato at least may have a chance to become serviceable.

Also of note, Othella has a player opt out for next year. He'd leave about 3 years and 9 mill on the table by opting out, but I'm sure he could get more than that on the open market.

eyepop-What about picking up a veteran like Sheriff Polynice for a year?

11. RocksMillenium

<b>Longley is about to retire, and he's a cap nightmare along the lines of Jayson Williams- 3 years left, 6.325, 6.9, and 7.475. Cato at least may have a chance to become serviceable. </b>

Well that shoots that down! I wouldn't mind McCoy for 2 years, a 2nd year being an option deal either. It would be nice if the Rockets could get McCoy and add an extra big man like Jahidi White, or Marc Jackson (though he will probably be expensive now), or trade for Othella. That would give us 3 solid big men, unless Cato is dealt. I'm interested in the comment that oeilpere says the Rockets have mentioned several big name big men and are probably checking things out or sending our feelers. Interesting.

12. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

If the Rockets could get a Medical Retirement on Luc, would it be more interesting?

Mango

13. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

I agree with you on most points except for hiim playing the 5. Othella is listed at 6'9'' not 6'10'' and I don't believe he is even that tall. Getting an undersized center is just a waste of time. He will not make the difference necessary to win games, in fact he could handicap our post season asperations.

I do however like his post moves but Kenny, and Eddie should be able to fill that role. His D and Reb are average at best and that is playing against PF. At the 5 he will definately suffer.

I don't know who is the best C available but I don't think Othella is the anwer. I personally think we should give Collier and Cato a chance but if the falter, trade for a center during the season.

14. RocksMillenium

That's a great point. If that were possible, getting Othella and a Medical clearance for Cato would be a great trade that instantly makes the Rockets a bigger force in the West.

15. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

OP,

Do the Rockets have any interest in Brad Miller or is Miller even available?

If the Rockets sign one of the three that you've mentioned as a short term fix, then who do they have their eye on for the future?

From what I understand, they'll have to get the long term solution locked up by next year, because Francis will automatically count about $11 mill towards the cap the year after that.

16. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

One plus in the Rocks bargaining with Jelani McCoy is that he has family in Texas. Unless he has hired Fegan, he is probably a good short-term, low cost option.

If faced with the choice of White, McCoy and OH, I would lean toward White. Actually, Rocket Addict's deal looks pretty good to me also if MJ & the Wiz would bite.

17. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Jahidi White is a no brainer especially if we can unload the Wizard on the Wizards. Othella can can ball but he's an undersized 4, probably between 6'7 to 6'8 and about 240. The centers in the West would feast on Othella especially come playoff time. White is an inside intimidator and more of a natural because of his size for the center position. come playoff time Shaquille will have a hell of a time trying to dislodge Jahidi. Also White likes to mix it up.

18. enbehay

enbehay Member

All the aforementioned centers are lacking. I loved O when he was in Houston, but White, McCoy and O are too small for center. Go back to the threads from last month exploring a trade with Chicago for Brad Miller or (better and cheaper) Dalibor Bagarac. At least they have the size and a no fear attitude for banging.:cool:

19. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

oeilpere:

I thought that Mo Taylor wasn't going to sign unless we had a better solution than Cato at the pivot... (does he know something we don't?)

Do you have any idea why we signed Mo for so long when we believe we have a superstar coming up behind him? Do the Rockets plan on playing him somewhere besides the 4?

It doesn't sound very good for our alternatives at center this year, does it? It almost sounds like they are giving up on the center rebuilding piece until next year. Is that why they took that exception? With Williams contract off the books, we might be better able to get someone then... and by then Griffin, Morris, Langhi, Cato, and Collier will have had more time to develop. Do you think its possible they are rebuilding this way, so we take one more shopping trip to the lottery?

I remember you mentioned earlier a possibility of a deal with Chicago regarding Curry. Can you tell us about any of that now? And is there any possibility of that resurrecting in any way form or fashion?

Can you tell us what those other big name surprises might be?

And what do you wish we'd do over the next year to complete the building process?

Thanks again for your insights...

20. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I've seen Othello in person. He is 6'7". I can gauge his height because I am 6'6". He is undersized at the 4, and gets by on talent and determination (a la Barkley).