1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Soccer] Confederations Cup 2009 - South Africa

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by halfbreed, Jun 14, 2009.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Ok, fine. So you scored on yourselves and it was called off. So you got a score off the penalty kick. Yay.

Now, let's talk about Brazil. What do you expect the score to be? I say 5-1. ONE penalty kick goal for Donovan. :eek:

2. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Brazil is playing without Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, and Diego, they've really gone with the youth movement. I don't think they'll win by such a big margin, not if they play like they did today. But, all they may need is a few games to gel, with the talent they have they should be able to be play with more cohesiveness. I'd say the score is more likely to be 3-1.

3. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

False. It doesn't matter if the guy actually touches the ball. It's whether or not the player in the offsides position affects the play. It's the same reason why Beasley's goal in the 2006 World Cup was called back even though our offsides player didn't touch it.

If he's not there, Bornstein doesn't touch the ball back to the keeper.

When did FIFA create the rule that PKs don't count? Are you also ignoring that we should have had a second PK for the foul on Landon in the box?

4. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

He's gone into full on troll mode, it's best to just ignore him.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Swoly is just mad that the best team from our region is not Mexico any more.

;)

DD

6. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Anyone would have been justified to think that because the Pharoahs seem to freeze up when they play teams outside of Africa. Good to see they came to play today but if BB can make the right team selection and the right subs then we could have a good game on Thursday. I doubt BB will do so.

7. ferrari77

THANK YOU!!!! I'm so tired of hearing that crap from folks in the states. It's not all about being an awesome athlete that makes you a great soccer player. :mad:

8. ferrari77

I feel bad for Rico. The guy already in my opinion is underappreciated by US fans and he could play 5 great games in a row and 1 bad game and he'll get piled on.
    It was a silly challenge but a horrible decision by the ref, especially after Rico was playing so well in the 1st half.

THE SUBS BY BBradley!!!!

The second half was itching for Freddy, maybe as a sub for Feilhaber and you play Adu down the left, or as a sub for Dempsey who just looks knackered after his EPL season. Bob decides to bring on DMB! Awesome, exactly what the US need, a player that can't run at defenders and is great at one touch football which is not what you need at that time of the match. Adu could have at least held on to the ball and injected a spark into the team but hey, BB does what BB does. Kljestan and Davies were fine substitutions but Adu should have been in there instead of DMB. It's not like either Adu or DMB have seen much PT with their club teams this calendar year so it shouldn't have mattered.

Time is ticking till Jurgen ascends to the US Soccer throne.

9. halfbreed

Putting Freddy in would have doomed us to a worse fate than we suffered. He plays no defense, which when you're down a man is not a good quality. I do agree that DMB was not the sub that was needed at that point, though. Once we were down, maybe you put Freddy in but even then I'm not sure this was the game for him. Brazil is going to be a good time for him, I think, as it's a game we have to win now.

Also, what has Jurgen proven as a coach? He took the host nation to the semis in the World Cup and got fired from Bayern Munich. :confused:

10. DaDakota

No doubt that growing up playing soccer is very important, but our best players/athletes gravitate to other sports.

Why cant a guy that is 5'7" and 160 pounds be a great athlete?

DD

11. cdastros

cdastros Member

1-0 U.S. over Italy.

12. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

It seems we have some sore losers in Eygpt. Interesting though.......

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=655031&sec=global&cc=5901

Egypt lodge protest over alleged "video evidence"

A furious Egypt have lodged an official protest against Brazil's winning penalty at the end of a thrilling 4-3 Confederations Cup match.

Referee Howard Webb and his assistant both signalled for a corner after Ahmed Al Muhamadi stopped a shot on his goal line with his arm. But Webb eventually produced the red card and pointed to the spot after the intervention of the fourth official.

Egypt believe the fourth official used a television replay to advise the referee to change his decision, which goes against FIFA regulations.

Egypt assistant coach Gharib Chawki freely admitted that the decision was correct and Al Muhamadi, who went down clutching his face in a bid to fool the officials, should have been sent off but that it shouldn't have been based upon the use of technology.

"As far as I am aware there is no rule allowing video evidence," Chawki said. "We're not contesting the referee's decision but the way it was made. Or maybe the rules have changed and nobody has told us.

"Since when do the regulations say there is a penalty which is not blown by the referee? It took three minutes to change the decision while the player was being treated.

"The decision was changed after a statement by the fourth official, after watching the monitor, that it should be a penalty.

"We just want to know. We don't object to the decision itself."

Brazilian coach Dunga dismissed the matter as "Egypt's problem, not ours".

"He made the right decision," Dunga said.

Al Muhamadi was sent off by Webb before Kaka converted the penalty to win the match.

Samir Zaher, the president of the Egyptian Football Association, was also flabbergasted by the events which took place in the final minute of normal time.

"We will not protest against the penalty being awarded because that was the right decision, but the referee did not give the decision immediately - he gave a corner. Then he waited two or three minutes and showed the red card and awarded the penalty.

"Why did he change his mind? Because the fourth official told him what had happened, that is why and he had missed it."

The incident revived discussion on the controversial sending-off of French midfielder Zinedine Zidane in the 2006 World Cup final for head-butting Italian defender Marco Materazzi when the ball was at the other end of the field.

13. ferrari77

I gotta disagree with you on the Freddy point. Thats the same BS thats been said about Freddy since he came into MLS at 14. It's been several years now and if you watch any US match that Freddy gets the chance to play in, you see the maturation in terms of tracking back. The kid actually plays defense but it seems a lot of fans are still buying that crap from years ago. This was a perfect game for him because there was NO ONE to actually hold onto the ball in midfield. Holding the ball uptop is not Davies forte so once Jozy went out there was really no one to ease the pressure for the US when they did get the ball. The situation with Freddy reminds me of Joe Cole when he first came on the scene. Without a doubt the most talented English attacking midfielder since Gazza, fans loved his ability while at club level with West Ham but were reluctant for him to get time with the 3Lions. Once JC went to Chelsea and Mourinho decided to "make him track back more and be more complete" then JC finally got his chance with England, on the left wing. Argentina don't stifle the "100's" of talented attacking mids they produce each year, neither does Brazil but yet England finally gets one and they decide to stifle him. It seems the same is being done with Adu imho.
    If the issue is about Club playing time then neither Jozy nor DMB should see the field in the sake of fairness.

I believe taking the host nation to the Semi's of the WC is a stage the US didn't get to when they hosted the WC in 94 and I don't believe they've ever made it that far so that gives Jurgen one up on other US nats coaches.
    I don't believe getting fired from Bayern Munich makes one a bad manager because if that's the case Felix Magath should not have gotten another gig managing and after he did get another gig, it's a wonder that after his failure with Bayern he'd go on to win the Bundesliga with Wolfsburg.

14. ferrari77

Oh Lawd, They are always sore losers. Granted they may have a bit of a case but they never seem to be able to take a loss gracefully, with both club and country.

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

How many goals did Mexico score in the 2009 Confederations Cup?

16. SwoLy-D

That's right, DaDark-one, we're not the best in the CONCACAF. :(
    Nope. The 1 PK I am talking about is the 1 against Brazil next game, not the one against Italy. It will be 5-1 against Brazil. US isn't scoring at will or with pass-and-shoot, only PKs. If you think that's OK, fine. :eek:

I am not ignoring that PK against Landon in the box. At the ref's discretion, it wasn't a PK, just like he called the one on Altidore at his discretion. When Legrottaglie jumped over Landon, he touches Landon's back, but apparently, out of somewhere, LD holds his head like he was hit so hard it hurts him. :confused: So the ref didn't call it. What's the next excuse?

#96 SwoLy-D, Jun 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  17. halfbreed

The exact same play was called a foul less than 5 minutes later. How confident are you that Brazil will win 5-1? The last time we played them we lost 4-2 and Brazil was the team scoring off of set pieces. Should I say that we really won that game? No, because set pieces and PKs count just as much as every other goal.

You have lost all credibility when it comes to this sport. You routinely throw out random accusations and rule violations and then clam up when you're called on it. Not to mention the irony of a fan of the Mexican team complaining about "simulation."

18. SwoLy-D

Yes, I've lost credibility for talking about how your team does in this competition that supposedly is a dress-rehearsal of the main festival of football. Amen to all that, my brother. Good luck representing our region. :eek: Be happy to show up.

#98 SwoLy-D, Jun 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

You said our best athletes were going elsewhere so if 5'7"/160 can be a great athlete then those top sports must have guys that spec.

give me a list of 5'7"/160lbs top atheltes from the top sports (football,basketball,baseball) that are not gravitating to soccer?

also consider italy (defending world champs) has a population of 50mil, US has a population over 300mil. so statistically we should produce more naturally gifted athletes then they do by sheer numbers. mexico has the same problem considering 110mil population and el tri has to use naturalize players!!! they can't find a starting 11 with 110mil population???

20. DaDakota

Most of the best athletes in the USA are gravitating to the sports they see on TV.

Football, basketball, and baseball.....soccer doesn't get the participation or coverage once they hit JR High age.

In the EU, it is the number 1 sport, here it is like 5th or 6th.....and our better athletes are playing other sports.

Just because something is happening does not mean it will always be that way.

BTW, you know why soccer is not more prevelant on TV? Commercials.....

Every US sport that is dominating the TV airwaves has commercial time outs.

Sad, but true.

And of the smaller variety, most of the under 6' crowd that is our better athletes are playing baseball....IMO.

DD