1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] Astro in Exile: Luhnow

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lnchan, Oct 13, 2022.

1. raining threes

Not just this forum.

Wonder what it's like to always think you're the smartest man in the room. Aggies, LMAO

2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Can you imagine if the Yankees, Mariners, Angels, or Blue Jays hired Jeff Luhnow to be GM in the offseason? Think about that feeling for a minute. Not a good one. That's a good check for whether we should bring him back!

Remember, the Red Sox brought back Alex Cora after they were punished and had to dismiss him. So it's not like move would be without precedent. Luhnow is a true game changer (Cora was not).

eliefor3 likes this.
  3. ac in austin

ac in austin Contributing Member

I really don’t understand the complete adoration some of you have. All those teams you listed…you think they don’t know that Lunhow built the Astros? There are how many guys running teams now that worked for him…Elias, Stearns, Putila…but somehow no one wants to hire the architect. Why is that? Only raining threes knows his genius I guess. Why hasn’t anyone ever defended him in the media?

Bregatron and mightybosstone like this.
  4. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

you truly believe no team has called him begging him to take the reins?

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

For every win this postseason, Luhnow’s name has been brought up more and more. Everybody previously associated him with tanking to get guys like Correa, Bregman, Tucker, LMJ…. But its the other acquisitions (Framber, CJ, Garcia, Urquiddy, Abreu, Chas, YORDAN) that have truly extended the window and obviously he assembled a scouting department that had a specific philosophy when it came to finding pitchers.

Time and continued success cures a lot. He’ll get interest… not just from middling teams, but from high end teams looking to extend (or merely create) a long lasting window.

That being said, Click gets full credit for this bullpen, Vasquez, Mancini, and the general management of getting these young pitchers to the show and in a rotation capacity. Nobody knows if Luhnow would have kept all of them.

jiggyfly and jjsmooth like this.
  6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

It's getting harder and harder to keep from giving Click the credit he deserves.

He has had 3 trade deadlines and 2 1/2 off seasons to change the Astros.

He has changed some things and kept some things ( which he should also get credit for)

One thing you mentioned is scouting. Luhnow actually gutted the scouting department.

Correct me if I'm wrong but one of Click's accomplishments is rebuilding it. Of course the benefit of his choices won't be known for a few years.

What Luhnow did was have a specific idea what he wanted in international free agent pitchers and that happened to line up very differently than most front offices giving him a great supply of pitchers he wanted and they were cheap so he could sign more. He had to hit on just a small percentage and he did.

HOF calibur

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Click deserves credit for Neris, Stanek and Montero. Luhnow for Brown, Abreu, Pressly and Garcia if you consider him part of the bullpen here.

Luhnow, like Josh Gordon or some of these other guys in other sports, will eventually get another chance. He's too far and away the best in his field. If it was Tim Purpura, the league would be willing to let him go away as the backlash wouldn't be worth it.

rockbox and Wulaw Horn like this.
  8. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Pressley was Luhnows.

9. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Look, I know the odds of him coming back in any capacity have to be low. But it’s an absolute pipe dream to have him back leading the team as GM. And this is just me unrealistically dreaming, but I feel like he’s tweeted much more about them in the last couple months than the last 3 years combined. I can dream lol. And FWIW, I like Click, but would LOVE Luhnow back.

10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree with you that he has been more open and public with his comments and support of the team.

That said, I think he appreciates what he had and built and time has healed him to the point where he can think about it again.

But mostly I think every time he mentions the Astros, people start thinking and talking about him which he NEEDS.

texans1095 likes this.
  11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I still can't believe the Red Sox not just rehired Cora but also the rogue employer video replay operator

arkoe and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  12. lnchan

Oh imagine Toro going against us in 2019... we would have been swept...

Attached Files:

13. Screaming Fist

Neris has been fine but hasn't really been better than expected. Montero was a good get. Honestly, I think the best move he has made as GM was Raley.

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Was Stearns still here when he Gomez trade was made... or did he execute that for Milwaukee?

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

There's been some chatter surrounding Sig Mejdal. Anybody seeing anything regarding Crane bringing him back??

17. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

18. Qan

Qan Member

Let's just gather everyone back

RKREBORN likes this.
  19. lnchan

This needs an Avengers Endgame feel... just bring everyone and crush the entitled Yankees, entitled Dodgers, and hypocritical Red Sox

RKREBORN likes this.
  20. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Luhnow's biggest mistake was trading for Osuna who despite being a good closer was widely hated. Then that stupid comment by that executive regarding Osuna led to the reporter writing that story that blew up (during the 2019 playoffs). That scumbag Mike Friers took this as the perfect opportunity to pile on with his accusations. A snowball turned into an avalanche at the worst possible time...

HTown2017Champs likes this.