1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] Astro in Exile: Luhnow

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lnchan, Oct 13, 2022.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I.D.I.O.T.

At 55, he says he may return to baseball one day, “but right now I’m pretty busy.” He says he has received “more than one” request to run an MLB team (he declines to be more specific) but turned them down.
    Also:
    DH Carlos Beltrán—the only player named in the commissioner’s report—now broadcasts games for the Yankees, one of the teams most incensed by the whole thing.
    And...

He antagonized journalists who questioned him, while playing nice with anyone who wrote glowingly about him. As the Astros began to win, staffers gleefully reviewed the lists of people who hadn’t believed in them. “F--- those guys,” they cried, not particularly quietly.

“I think we were the most disliked organization before [the sign-stealing] came out,” says one person who worked for the team.
    One more quote...

He says he is not concerned about his legacy—but anyway, he thinks people see the Astros mostly as winners
    AND THERE IS A TELL ALL MANUSCRIPT?!!?
    he had a 750-page manuscript of a memoir. He might try to publish it one day, he says, but he’s in no rush. In the meantime, everyone else can think what they want.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2022/10/13/jeff-luhnow-soccer-astros-daily-cover

2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Long live the GOAT

3. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I think he's returning...my gut feeling.

4. lnchan

To the Astros? ...that's the only way why Click may be considered on the bubble.

RKREBORN likes this.
  5. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

6. phasors28

phasors28 Member

I don’t do much reading but I’d buy the Memoir

7. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

If he ever decides to not come back to baseball or even the US he may go scorched earth on MLB. That memoir will be heavy.

8. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

I also wonder if the mentioning of memoir is a subtle threat towards Manfred.

9. lnchan

750 page memoir will be more than what the MLB compiled for the Braves international signing, Angels opioid investigation, Cardinals corporate espionage, Yankees letter, and Red Sox Apple watch scandals combined.

Slyonebluejay, AXG, clos4life and 8 others like this.
  10. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I'd welcome him back with open arms with no hesitation.

11. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

payaso, raining threes and htownrox1 like this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He could definitely name names if he wanted to.

This still boils down to how the media perceived the Astros during the rebuild and how the Astros front office responded to them (they kept receipts).

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I find it a little hard to believe he's been getting offers to be a GM and has turned them down. Unless they were just with crap teams that he knew would never spend the money necessary to win. I think he wants back in baseball badly but MLB will never let it happen.

raining threes and snowconeman22 like this.
  14. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

He sued Crane. I don't see Crane re-hiring him for that reason alone. Although I am surprised some team hasn't picked him up. The stain didn't deter teams from Hinch and Cora. The lawsuit against his former boss/owner might be the reason that no team hires him, if that in fact happens.

raining threes likes this.
  15. lnchan

Lawsuits get settled, and people move on. Sometimes together.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  16. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

The only thing better would be a not so subtle threat.

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

18. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I would find it hard to believe that he had gotten no offers. He is the best GM I have seen in my lifetime and did nothing to be fired except being hated by the media. They will relentlessly hound any organization he is associated with.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Being a baseball GM is as much about being in the "in" club as it is about being good at your job. Lunhow is out. MLB scapegoated him for the crimes of players that they had no mechanism to punish. Him being a dick and then suing only further puts him on the outs.

I HIGHLY doubt a team has actually offered him a true GM job. He deserves one, but I'd be stunned if he was really offered one and turned it down.

Nook likes this.
  20. msn

msn Member

Why would he lie about that, though? Seriously, what on earth would be the motivation to make that up? What is there to gain?