1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

SAC @ LAL

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BrooksBall, Jan 1, 2010.

Tags:
  1. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

I am a Kobe fan but I think that's a stupid hustle. He had no angle to get the ball and if the kings player didn't lower the shoulder, it would be a foul as well.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Okay, I thought they were talking about the buzzer beater play?

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Good point, he really had no chance. It would've been an all-time defensive gem if he was able to somehow jump over the King's player's back, throw the ball under his body and off the Kings player in order to keep possession.

Regardless, I was just talking about the way he hustled and gave up his body.

I am not a Kobe fan at all but I have tremendous respect for his game, his work ethic and his relentless desire to compete and win.

In McGrady's case, I have tremendous respect for his talent but that's where it ends.

And, no, I don't care if that McGrady comment bothers some of you. Deal with it.

4. Shaud

Shaud Member

Oh nah it was a play earlier in the 4th. I think it was Sergio Rodriguez and Kobe going after the ball and Kobe went flying in the air towards the Kings bench.

I thought he would be a bit banged up but he got right up.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b5Z7oM2kmLs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b5Z7oM2kmLs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

In fact it's the 30 second mark in this vid.

5. BrooksBall

Some people say that was stupid of Kobe to risk himself but watching it again, all I can say is that my respect for him went up another notch.

Dumb or not, we're talking about one of the all-time greats completely putting his body on the line for a play in a regular season game on a team that is a gimme to be a top seed going into the playoffs.

The Kings player bending over at the last second made the fall worse but Kobe hustled his ass off and gave up his body for just a slim chance at keeping possession.

Amazing, in my opinion.

6. goodbug

7. rockets_fanatic

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Okay, my bad. Since this thread is about the game winner, I thought that's what they were talking about. :eek:

9. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Give credit where credit is due.

Kobe Bryant is amazing, best basketball player in the game.

On a side note, I still hate him with a passion.

10. rockets_fanatic

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Ya looks like 3 steps possibly but we got you the first time you said it :eek:

12. BrooksBall

I forgot to add: He's doing all this with a jacked up finger.

Love him or hate him, Kobe is exceptionally talented and on top of that, he plays the game as hard as less talented players that need to hustle their asses off just to stay in the league.

Not all star players can say the same and I'm not even pointing a finger at McGrady. He's not the only one in that boat.

13. kikimama

kikimama Member

That was not a travel, you idiot.

14. rockets_fanatic

He caught the ball landed on one foot, then hopped and landed both feet on the ground before shooting. Travel my friend.

15. rocketghost

rocketghost Member

He pushed off the defender, traveled, and stepped out of bounds in a matter of a couple of seconds. None of it gets called. None of it surprises me anymore.

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Out of bounds too close to call. Paul Westphal the Kings coach is standing directly behind Kobe on the shot looking down at his feet. And did not even flinch after the shot went in. Did not even come close to contesting anything. Thats an admission that the shot was good.

Refs could have called Kobe with the right elbow pushoff on Sergio. How else could Kobe have gotten such a wide open look? Could have called traveling, but refs ROUTINELY EVERY GAME let players get away with multiple steps on the catch. Watch for it in NBA games, they never call that. Kobe made a clutch play, Kings didnt.

17. HoustonRockets

so it is a travel? amazing shot regardless. Reminds me of the tim duncan three pointer in the playoffs where he also traveled or shuffled his feet.

18. goodbug

I never got why ignorant haters always come up with tons of excuses.

For those calling it travel, below is the official NBA rules. http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_10.html?nav=ArticleList

b. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may use a two-count rhythm in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball.
    The first count occurs:
    (1) As he receives the ball, if either foot is touching the floor at the time he receives it.
    The second occurs:
    (1) After the count of one when either foot touches the floor, or both feet touch the floor simultaneously.

d. A player who comes to a stop on the count of two, with one foot in advance of the other, may pivot using only the rear foot as the pivot foot.
    e. A player who comes to a stop on the count of two, with neither foot in advance of the other, may use either foot as the pivot foot.

So Kobe stopped at the count of 2, he could even pivot using the real foot, how did that become a travel?

For those calling out-of-bound.
    http://i0.sinaimg.cn/ty/k/2010-01-02/U1612P6T12D4771766F44DT20100102145700.jpg

The images said a ton, Kings' coach was all calm and cool before and after the shot (just checked the video), you think you have a better angle or more wager than him?

For those calling push-off, that happened on 70% of picks all right, if that's a push-off, MJ and Miller deserved a flagrant in 98's playoff.

19. fredy

fredy Contributing Member

I don't think its a travel. When he first touches the ball he didn't have full control of the ball and then when he does he sets his feet and shoots it.

Rodriguez looked like he flopped as well trying to get an offensive foul call which was not going to work at all against Kobe Bryant and in result gives Kobe a wide open shot.

I hate Kobe but respect his game.

20. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I gave him credit, it was a clutch ass shot. Don't think he traveled, don't think the "push off" was call-worthy, but just because Westphal was looking down doesn't mean he didn't step out of bounds. Not saying Kobe did, but that's a weak argument if you're trying to defend that case. Otherwise, I give full credit to Kobe, I knew it was in before it left his hands. Rodriguez probably won't sleep well tonight.