1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rush Limbaugh has lung cancer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DaDakota, Feb 3, 2020.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That was my first thought. That something else celebrating America has been debased by this "man." It has become a long list.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I had no idea the man was this racist - I have been reading quotes like "Take the bone out of your nose and call me back" to an African American woman.

This guy deserves what he has, this seems like Karma now.

Great article from a priest about him.

DD

#83 DaDakota, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Let me ask you one question
    Is your money that good
    Will it buy you forgiveness
    Do you think that it could
    I think you will find
    When your death takes its toll
    All the money you made
    Will never buy back your soul

And I hope that you die
    And your death'll come soon
    I will follow your casket
    In the pale afternoon
    And I'll watch while you're lowered
    Down to your deathbed
    And I'll stand over your grave
    'Til I'm sure that you're dead

DaDakota likes this.
  5. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Rush is a threat to people's safety. He--possibly more than any other individual--is responsible for the willful ignorance of nearly half of the population, a group who, due to that ignorance, continually votes against society's interests in safety, health, equality, and economic mobility.

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How many Americans did OBL actually murder with his own two hands?

This actually is about Margret Thatcher, but it is in my head.

Deckard, FranchiseBlade and Nook like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah.... not a big fan of Rush Limbaugh....... still find the double standard that a rapist that dribbles a basketball gets a pass but an ******* doesn't to be rather odd.

Whatever I guess.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah I know...... or a guy smiles and is nice to people, it is okay that he is a rapist?

Look.......... everyone has their battles, but a little consistency.

Pistol Pete likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

HAHA You really think Rush PAID them?

10. Nook

Nook Member

You can wish a painful death for anyone..... why people care is odd to me.... it isn't as if we have any control over it.

I will not be sad when Henry Kissenger dies....... nor will I feel much when various others die.

The only problem I see is that the same people appalled are perfectly fine when it is someone else that they dislike that is called out for being a POS.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Cool sentiment, but when you are dead .... lights out... there is no grand arbiter punishing our praising you.

Ottomaton likes this.
  12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The difference is that a "rapist", in this case, would be someone who committed an act of rape long ago, while an ******* is someone who has been and continues to be an *******. So, even accepting your premise that Kobe committed an act of rape, one can still consider him to have been a better person on death than they would some "*******", like a Limbaugh.

We don't continue to call someone an ******* because they were an ******* at some specific instance in their life. We tend not to even call someone a racist if they were racist at some specific instance in their life. We probably wouldn't call someone a thief, either, if they committed theft at some specific instance in their life, but aren't making a habit of it. We use "rapist" and "murderer" differently, though. Those crimes are considered so severe, that society thinks it is appropriate to brand someone a rapist or murderer even if they committed the act once in their life. Maybe that's fair, I don't know, but how I judge someone is by who they are, not what they've been.

Nook likes this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So a rapist can never atone?

Rush went to his grave being an *******, not really tracking your argument here.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Very well stated.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Sure they can atone (although a lot of people would argue that rape/murder are not forgiveable) in the eyes of some.

My point is that a lot of it is arbitrary, and we can see it in this thread.

Some people have said Rush never physically hurt anyone so he isn't deserve of having a painful death wished upon him.

Some posters are say, wait a second he encouraged a lot of bigotry and was hateful.

People draw the line at different points based on their values and life experiences.

I find that it is less a matter or "it is wrong to wish ill of the dead/dying" and more about whether you like the person that died.

Having said that I see blatant hypocrisy.

Personally I do not care, if someone did not like someone or think they were good or bad people, they should be able to express it...... we do not magically become saints when we die.

I would also argue I am not so sure where you draw the atonement line.......... did the Nazi leader that fled and lived a peaceful and kind life the last 20 years atone for what he did, or is the fact he was a Nazi always hang over him like a cloud? What about a man that badly abuses his wife and children and later finds faith and sobriety?

Also, is what type of person they are when they die most relevant? Is it a matter or weighing everything? Is it the type of person they are for most their lives? Can someone be a generally solid person and commit one really bad act and be considered a bad person?
    I don't know....... just my observation.

16. Nook

Nook Member

You tell me, can a rapist ever atone for what he did?

Which is worse, being a continuing ******* or a rapist?

These are all personal questions that we have to decide for ourselves.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You raise some good questions there. I agree that people aren't fully rational on whether they think its OK to dump on someone who dies or is about to die. If you happened to have been on the personal receiving end of a kindness from Rush Limbaugh, your feelings about him right now are probably very different from those who have had no interaction with him or anyone close to him, and only know him from the stuff he's been saying on radio.

I don't think us being respectful about a person in his last days or in the immediate aftermath of an untimely death should depend on that person fully atoning for a past sin. It's more about being restrained so as not to add pain to those who are or were close to that person. To me, it just makes sense to let a little time pass before needing to honestly reflect on the entirety of who the person was.

Now, all that said, Rush is a 69 year old man who has lived a long life of excess and luxury, and has spent much of it dumping on people who were much less fortunate than him. The circumstances of his death, when it arrives, will not be a sad to me or the majority of other people as what happened with Kobe and his daughter. So there are simply less feelings to protect with him. I still think some restraint is appropriate, but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to avoid saying something unflattering about him.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nobody worthwhile said that after 1934 and very few people worthwhile said it before then.

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

#99 Commodore, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm going to go ahead and not watch anything from that *******.