1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rumor] Rockets Mull Trading Jones, Motiejunas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by omgTHEpotential, Dec 4, 2015.

1. alethios

alethios Member

RIP, Scott Weiland

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"DMo or TJones....or both"?

Terrence Jones is an understandable trade. He brings some good with the bad; I don't know how much of his inept ways are due to lack of basketball IQ or lack of fundamentals coaching. But he's a decent 24 mpg player, maybe more if your main power forward can swing to center.

However, if Donatas Motiejunas is dealt, it would have to be after he shows he's healthy (sharp observation, hunh?)...and the player received in return would have to be impressive.

Not "Boogie Cousins" impressive, mind you, but impressive.

3. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No, you need a PF that can pass...that's what Smoove and DMo do pretty well.
    It's what the Rox are missing currently. Right now, the few times the ball does go inside it stays inside. No cutters and no spot ups outside. DMo will change that.

Keep DMo or TANK

4. Mattician

Mattician Member

Please not Motiejunas.

5. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

bballholic totally disappearing when we need the INSIDE SCOOP!!!!

6. dragician

dragician Member

DMo was out for a long time. What if the injury was really serious?

7. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I think people will take a flyer on Jones. I don't think we trade D Mo anytime soon as this would be a buy low moment, and Morey doesn't go for that. One of those two will be traded by the deadline for obvious reasons. I suspect it will be Jones.

8. DMO (DJ remix)

Dmo himself told that he had setback and wanted to return within 4 months, non the less i can't see Rockets trading him right now, if they will, they will let him play and his value go up, it can't go down much more (well maybe it can if he plays like complete crap, but i can't see it) at this point.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

My expectations of Dmo aren't nearly as high, I feel like many who epect Dmo to swing back in where he left off last season to ave the Rockets will be yet again very disappointed.

Dmo might not be nearly as good this season as he was last year before he went out, he may not be back to a 100% (physically and mentally) until next season. Back surgery is a big deal, he actually may never be as good as last season again.

Considing that, as well as considering Dmo will look to get paid, as well as understanding he has only had one promising season (about 60 games of averaging 12 and 6) before having a big surgery, I really wouldn't expect much in a trade for him.

10. thirdengine

thirdengine Member

Trade TJ for a 3rd rounder

11. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Not many 2 team trades make sense in the trade machine with Jones alone. I would really like someone like Myles Leonard, that trade would work. The Blazers aren't making that trade though. Instead the Rockets may look for another wing that can actually shoot. A straight up Jones/Bogdanovic swap with Brooklyn doesn't work salary wise. Jones' contract makes him a bit difficult to trade and receive expected value.

I hate to say this, but Ariza may be the best trade chip on the table. His contract could get us a great player. Ariza for Ryan Anderson works in the trade machine. I'm not advocating for trading Trevor, I'm just looking at it from another team's perspective of our roster. His contract is just easily movable, but locker room chemistry may take another hit.

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

In other news, water is wet.

Obviously the Rockets will shop both these guys. Whether they sell is another matter altogether. My guess is that they are sold if it brings back a first round pick.

13. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Both are going to be looking to get paid this summer, so I guess it doesn't matter since we probably won't pay them what other teams are willing to pay.

14. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

I'm pretty sure our front office has entertained the idea of trading just about everyone, and every other front office in the league.

Theres only one untradable player in the league and his name is LeBron.

15. omgTHEpotential

Curry?
    Durant?
    Westbrook?
    Davis?
    Leonard?

Porzingis?

16. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

I am concerned Rockets aren't thinking about matching offers for Dmo, which maybe near max. They can't let him walk for nothing...

17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

Just my opinion, but the obvious solution to this is packaging TJones and Brewer for a legit shooter. You may also need to throw Dekker, Harrell, or KJ into the mix.

This team needs better, more reliable sharp shooting at either forward spot. Ideally it would be someone that can double as a 3 and 4 on defense. My vote continues to be Marvin Williams.

19. basketballholic

Aha.......

an opportunity to discuss Terrence's trade value, something I've been thinking about quite often lately since I know he's finally gotta go if we can get anything at all of substance to help this team win games this season.

So, here goes.

1. Terrence for Damjan Rudez.
    Rudez is a vet Euro with a great stroke. When I say a great stroke, I'm saying he would shoot 40% or more from 3 for us on a high volume of looks.....something Terrence could never do. He's also a great passer. Very smart. Everything else about his game is zero. No defense. Slow-footed. Not athletic. Doesn't scrum. Doesn't board. Nothing else but a pure shooter and a guy that can make some slick passes. He's a role player shooter/offensive points creator. He's not playing for Minnesota and isn't likely to play. They traded Chase for him in basically a salary dump. They'd possibly take a flyer on Jones and see what he's got for a few months.

This simple move would give us a TPE worth Jones' salary as we could fit Rudez into the $1.6 million TPE we already have.

2. Terrence and KJ for Bogdanovic and Markel Brown.
    Pretty even steven trade right there. We get a shooter that is severely underperforming and a 6'3" athletic wing that isn't playing for the Nets. Nets get KJ's future potential and a look-see at Terrence.

3. Terrence and KJ for Teletovic and Archie Goodwin.
    A big and a wing for a big and a wing. Teletovic is currently 4th or 5th on Phoenix's big man depth chart. But...he will pull it from 3 and he will knock down a ton of shots. Another true floor spreader. And supposedly Phoenix has always liked Terrence.

4. Terrence and KJ for Robert Covington and Richaun Holmes.
    Philly gets McDaniels back locked up for 3 years. We get Covington back, who is also signed for 3 years and is showing himself to be a quality 3&D player along with my favorite big man project in Holmes, who is basically Philly's 3rd big and needs development at RGV but has loads of potential to become a true power 4 that can stretch the floor and also protect the paint. Covington gives us more trade flexibility at the 3/4 come the deadline. This deal also gives us a $3.1 million TPE (KJ) plus a fresh $1.489 million TPE (TJ) or we can keep the $1.6 million TPE and use it before it expires on 2/19.

5. Terrence and KJ for Joffrey Lauvergne/Darrell Arthur.
    We get a vet 4 that is a decent mid-range shooter in Arthur. Good backup player. We also get a young big man prospect in Lauvergne that has demonstrated some ability to shoot the 3 and spread the floor. Denver gets a look at Jones and a wing prospect in KJ. We also net a nice $3.1 million TPE (KJ)

6. Terrence for James Johnson.
    change of scenery for 2 guys that have underperformed.

20. omgTHEpotential

I wouldn't say that Johnson has underperformed. He just seems to be in Dwane Casey's doghouse.