1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

RIP - Burt Reynolds dies at 82

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TMac'n, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Buck Turgidson

From a young age, before I had hair there, I knew through the fault of genetics I would never grow a proper Burt Reynolds/Magnum PI mustache.

I still blame my parents.

ETA: and Roscoe, Burt's dealings with Jackie Gleason in Smokey1 is the best by far.

Nook and plutoblue11 like this.
  2. Roscoe Arbuckle

Oh, I loved the first one. It's just that 2 was on HBO every freaking day when I was 10.

3. Buck Turgidson

Since it's going to rain most of the day Saturday, a couple of the guys and I are doing the Smokey/Cannonball double feature at the ranch.

If anyone would know, it would be you...did they eat anything in particular in either movie, especially Smokey? We were going with the seemingly appropriate ribs and fried chicken, but for the life of me I can't think of anything from the movies other than Coors beer.

4. Roscoe Arbuckle

5. Buck Turgidson

I knew I could count on you, buddy. I remembered the scenes but couldn't remember what they were eating.

So what would you say is in a "diablo sammich"? I have my own ideas but I'm curious. No Dr. Pepper though, we'll be drinking tan cans.

Now that I think of it, some of the meat will be bbq'd in molasses.

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  6. Roscoe Arbuckle

plutoblue11 likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Oh hell no. But now I know what it is, you are the man. Corn and sour cream? Lettuce and tomato? On a sloppy joe? That guy is awesome, btw. Yall aren't related are you?

8. Roscoe Arbuckle

Bandit ordered a cheeseburger. I'd go with the cheeseburger. And the Ruffles Dom brings out from Cannonball. As for things other than beer?

EDIT: My brother & I went to college as roommates, and he got a pug. We named it "Doc" because of the above doctors eye thing. My nephews and son still think it's funny. (we've become a family that always has at least a pug or two)

plutoblue11 likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, no medicine case will be involved, unfortunately.

10. Buck Turgidson

11. Roscoe Arbuckle

IMO, the best part about Burt was that he really couldn't act; he was basically the guy he was portraying.

But I say that as a guy who really only watched Longest Yard and Deliverance once, so what do I know?

12. Buck Turgidson

The unsung hero of Deliverance was Jon Voight, the actor.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, I remember when we first got cable and HBO. The original Smokey was literally the first movie I ever watched on it. I couldn't believe there were no commercials! And the cuss words weren't edited out!

14. what

what Member

Burt's talent was screen presence. You put Burt side by side next to Brando, Meryl Streep, people would be watching Burt.

He was a larger than life actor.

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that is still one of the funniest SNL sketches ever

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

After reading about how it went down with the 9-1-1 call and all, it did not sound like a pleasant way to go. I think it hurt like hell...probably the pain of all pain. And, I didn't know this but he had bypass surgery a few years back.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Oh, man. You still gotta do it. We're counting on you and your buddies to celebrate rightly. Diablos all around, and you have to eat them in 2 minutes....and post a vid.

I like your bbq'd in molasses idea, too.

#57 heypartner, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  18. Buck Turgidson

I know your're in Colorado an all, and a stoner at that, but do you really put lettuce and corn and sour cream in your sammiches? Really? That's just sad.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No, but I want to see you do it.

oh, and a stopped smoking pot many, many years ago. I just play along on the bbs, now. but i did do edibles for awhile here.

20. Buck Turgidson