1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Reality] Harden will lose MVP to Giannis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by W22_STREAK, Apr 5, 2019.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

great idea!
    on the other hand give The Best NBA Player Award to Harden as long as he plays

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I wonder why Rachel Nichols all of a sudden isn't bringing up her "Best player in the NBA" award? Any ideas @J Sizzle?

rantsolpuella13 and hakeem94 like this.
  3. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

I don't even care anymore. Just stay healthy in the playoffs.

4. windpuppy

windpuppy Member

Hakeem to DRob eff you in your face move. It's happening!

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I think she might not like who that player is now.

Deuce likes this.
  6. Rockets4Life13

I mean chris broussard called giannis the best player in the world because he had a 45point game vs sixers. It's just really fun to watch people's double standards.

Harden has to "prove it in the playoffs" yet giannis is "the best" without ever winning a single playoff series.

The love for Giannis in the media is too big. Harden doesn't have a chance.

split41, Deuce, bmelo and 3 others like this.
  7. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Harden gets a tough time from media only because he went 0 for 22 after winning the mvp last year.

In the pivotal game 5 last year, harden was no where to be found! Then in the game where harden went cold, cp3 goes down with bad luck. Epic fail last year!

#127 smoothie_king, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  8. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

We need to come and dominate okc just like we did against the clippers. 40 point triple double or a blow out win by 20 with Harden scoring 30 on 32mins. Just a statement game against a supposedly contender team. If he does get a game like he did against San Antonio he will win the MVP because people have a short term memory.

The media probably only recalls Giannis against the Sixers and James against the clippers for comparison because it was against good teams.

9. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

I’m so annoyed with voting criteria changing to fit narrative. Whatever happened to having to put multiple seasons of solid work to even be considered a MVP. Harden’s consistency over the last 5 years is arguably unmatched and SHOULD be rewarded.

Hakeemtheking, rhee and RyanB like this.
  10. Mr. Space City

Harden would have to drop 83+ against OKC to even have a chance at MVP

Reeko and RyanB like this.
  11. RetroRockets

RetroRockets Member

its crazy with what all harden has done that he still has to do EVEN MORE to get recognized as the MVP of the league

Hakeemtheking, cerophilik and RyanB like this.
  12. Rockets4Life13

your signature hurts.

Mr. Space City likes this.
  13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Man, somebody on NBATV --- I can't remember his name because he doesn't frequent much --- said, "if Harden doesn't win MVP, he was afraid years from now we'd be asking "how did Harden NOT win"".

Yes I quoted within a quote.

14. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i'll be honest, this is part of why i can't get too mad about harden not winning it. yes, he obviously should of beat curry. but if he beat curry, he definitely doesn't beat westbrook b/c he already has 1. now there was probably no denying last year's mvp (basically giannis' case this year on steroids) so he could have had 2, but then it would make it even tougher to get this year's. when hakeem and shaq have 1 mvp, it's hard to give a guy without a finals appearance a 2nd one, just from a legacy perspective.

has it happened? sure. steve nash somehow has 2 without a finals appearance. malone got 2 without winning. but it's also considered pretty ridiculous that they have 2.

does that change the fact harden is hated by the voters and is getting screwed? no. they hate him so much so that even a guy who openly despises the media - westbrook - was the first non-top 3 seed to win mvp in 30+ years despite james having better actual stats (not just round numbers) and more wins. does it change the fact that wins is all that matters until someone averages something historic (like a triple double) unless harden is the guy who averages something historic. no.

but still, even if harden's playoff reputation for failing is a little overstated (he was one game from beating an "unbeatable" 4 all-star team until his 2nd best player got injured so he can't be that bad), it just feels like he needs to do something truly great in the playoffs before he gets another mvp, just from a legacy perspective.

15. Rokman

Rokman Member

So let's put the Bucks in the West and see how they stack up when they play each Western team 4 times instead of 2. What would there ranking be then? I'm guessing somewhere in the mid .600's not .741. The West has 1 team playing under .400 ball. The East has 5. Here's something they media doesn't want to hear, The Bucks play in the weakest Division . . . IN THE LEAGUE!!! Well, isn't that an inconvenient truth? Essentially, they play in the Weakest Division in the Weakest Conference. Aren't they impressive.

If you were to remove the best team from each Division this is the average of the competition for each team. You can't tell me the Bucks beat up their Division so bad that it caused their averages to be that low.

Eastern Conference
    Atlantic Division - Bucks #1 - Remainder - .395 (Again, the West has 1 team playing under .400. The rest of his division averages under .400 - Pathetic.)
    Southeast Division - Magic #1 - Remainder - .426
    Atlantic Divison - Raptors #1 - Remainder - .481

Western Conference
    Pacific Divison - Warriors #1 - Remander - .440
    Southwest Division - Rockets #1 - Remainder - .445
    Northwest Division - Nuggets #1 - Remainder - .573

Whatever, Giannis is the best.

#135 Rokman, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  16. Rokman

Rokman Member

FYI - Harden went to the Finals with the Thunder and has led his team to the WCF - Twice, against Arguably one of the Greatest teams ever assembled. You literally have to DIG for reasons not to give him an MVP trophy each year.

Deckard likes this.
  17. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

If he breaks Michael Jordan 37.1 points average scores records, he can get MVP

18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

He’d have to break Wilts single game record and then some to do it.

But I agree. He does that on Tuesday and that might just be enough to sway the voters.

19. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

how many points would harden need in the last game to beat that average?

20. Bearded13

Bearded13 Member

I'm afraid for voters like Broussard, NIKE has a lot to do with their voting choices. In 2018 they were forced to vote for Harden because there were no other realistic choices, but when they can their choices are based on:

#1 NIKE

#2a UA
    #2b Adidas

I wouldn't even be surprised if people like Broussard have some contact with NIKE representatives and they have some under the table wink wink agreement to always favour NIKE guys. They probably get sent every year tons of free NIKE shoes and sportswear, and if a NIKE player can't be voted for MVP, then they can make a choice more based on true value than marketing. It makes no sense that Lillard (adidas), who is a better player than Kyrie (nike), is way underrated by the media while Kirye is seen as a "top player".

BamBam and bmelo like this.