1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Reality] Harden will lose MVP to Giannis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by W22_STREAK, Apr 5, 2019.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

it only adds to harden..you must be doing something really really REALLY great to be snubbed like that

2. amaru

amaru Member

I've believe that Giannis "won" this award back in November as long as he played well enough to have an argument. The NBA needs to start developing it's next generation of superstars. Almost all of the guys you hear about making deep playoff runs or just dominating in general (Harden, Curry, Durant, Westbrook, George, Leonard, etc) are all close about 30 years old. Having an MVP that is in his early 20s will help generate more views.

Harden is more deserving to be sure......but I'd be surprised if they didn't give this to Giannis. And Clutchfans will meltdown just like we did at the trade deadline lmao.

DreamShook and fattz like this.
  3. jcf

jcf Member

Yes. In Houston and here on Clutchfans. Most of the rest of the NBA watching world won't be talking about it.

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

this is the way of the world...most of the greatness in most of the fields of human endeavor can be truly recognized and enjoyed only by a selected few...most of the time the majority of the ppl are mostly in the darkness

jcf and Houstunna like this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The funny thing is that Giannis is still ascendent. So they will need to give it to him the next 3-4 years as well. They are trapping themselves because he has not hit his prime.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  6. amaru

amaru Member

I think they are hoping another player, like Zion, Trae, Luka, etc. will develop as well.

7. HRox832

HRox832 Member

It definitely will be brought up by other fans outside of Houston as well. Can't ignore a 36/8/7/2 statline and the amazing feats Harden accomplished this season with the 50 & 60 point games, and the 30 point streak.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I can guarantee you that none of those guys will put up the numbers he is going to next year. When his three point shot starts to fall, he will be the most dominant force to play the game since Lebron entered the league.

That's why I feel Harden should get it this year. Harden has evolved his game to be the MVP, Giannis still is depending more on pure athleticism.

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I disagree. They will be talking about this season outside of Houston for years IMO.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

the rest of the NBA world might not be talking about Harden being robbed of the MVP in 18-19, but they’ll definitely be talking about his insane scoring season 20 years from now

the next legendary offensive player to enter the league a decade or 2 from now will now become the 1st player to do X, Y, or Z since James Harden

Voltik, hakeem94 and DreamShook like this.
  11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

There was an expectation that went with that (shameful) Clutchfans meltdown. This was an unexpected MVP season from Harden. I think we all know no one wanted to give Harden the trophy because of the last 3 years.

#111 DreamShook, Apr 6, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    J Sizzle and amaru like this.
  12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

NBA historians will look at Harden's stats this year in 10-20 years like who was MVP?

[​IMG]

durvasa, BigShasta, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  13. amaru

amaru Member

It's all about narratives and marketing my friend. Casual fans don't understand the finer points of the game and they are the majority.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I get that - but you don't see Rookies winning the MVP

15. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Giannis is shooting 9.5 FTA on 17.5 FGA
    Harden is shooting 11.0 FTA on 24.1 FGA

Media bias

hakeem94 and fckbandwagons like this.
  16. amaru

amaru Member

Oh my bad. I wasn't referring to this year. I was talking for years to come. The NBA needs guys like Giannis to "slide up" in order to make room for the new breed.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

You could make that case. Here are the MVP odds on Nov 1. So you can see where the narrative starts. Giannis had the lead and just never let go.

Really a testament to Harden for being 6th here and pushing his way to the top.

18. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

I still don't think rockets make it out second round without play making of Trevor ariza!

The mvp award doesn't get announced until second round of the playoffs.

#118 smoothie_king, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  19. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Then just name it the Next Big Star Award

hakeem94 and amaru like this.
  20. amaru

amaru Member

Might as well

hakeem94 likes this.