1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Realistic Trade Possibilities

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Malcolm, Jun 26, 2009.

1. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

amen brotha

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Apparently, Rudy Fernandez is furious with the Portland Trailblazers and wants out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4300407

According to the article, he's not happy about the Blazers trying to bring in Hedo Turkoglu, since Hedo plays a similar style of game to him and would result in a substantially reduced role for Rudy. This, combined with his perceived misuse by Nate McMillian last year and the recent trade of his buddy Sergio Rodriguez to the Kings, has prompted Fernandez to threaten to bolt for Europe IF Portland will let him out of his contract.

While I'm not exactly wild about Rudy's tantrum act (shades of Vasilis Spanoulis, anyone?), this could be a PRIME opportunity for the Rockets.

Daryl Morey is IN LOVE with Rudy Fernandez as a player. Remember, before the Rockets ended up taking Aaron Brooks #26 in the 2007 NBA Draft, the Rockets were trying desperately to get/trade up to get Rudy Fernandez. Unfortunately, the Blazers bought the #24 pick (surprise, from the Suns) and took Rudy ahead of the Rockets.

Fernandez is a 6-6 SG who can shoot, handle the ball, run the break and finish. He's basically a young Manu Ginobili. If the Blazers end up bringing in Turkoglu (which will suck for the Rockets and the rest of the West), Morey should make a strong play for Rudy.

The Rockets offer Rudy a more open offensive system where he could play to his strengths more than he could in Portland. Plus, with T-Mac out for much of next season, the starting SG spot would be his for the taking.

While I don't think that Kevin Pritchard would normally make this trade, the recent tantrum by Rudy plus the signing of Hedo could make this a more viable (and perhaps even "realistic") trade:

Rudy Fernandez
    for
    Houston's 2010 first rounder, $3M cash, and basically any 1-2 players whose draft rights are held by the Rockets (each of Jermaine Taylor, Sergio Llull, Chase Budinger, Lior Eliyahu, Brad Newley and Maarty Leunen each having some level of trade value)

Portland trades away a formerly valuable player in exchange for a pick, cash, a future player to stash overseas(?) and additional cap room. Houston gets its new starting SG.

That's realistic . . . enough. Isn't it?

3. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I can't see Portland trading Fernandez to us even if we made a better offer than you suggest.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Most of these guys can be traded directly to the Blazers summer league team in Vegas, no?

I might even consider throwing in Carl Landry in lieu of one of these guys. Portland can use some muscle at the PF spot, currently manned by softie Aldridge and skinny Outlaw.

5. BimaThug

Supporting Member

You're probably right. If not for Rudy's outburst and apparent desire to leave Portland, I never would have even mentioned a trade like that.

A Landry for Rudy + filler trade would be fine by me. But Carl has to consent to any trade made before September 29.

Carl Landry for Rudy Fernandez and a re-signed Channing Frye???

6. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

Sounds good to me.

7. joesr

joesr Member

You mean that will be every year? I thought it would be just that signed year.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

BimaThug, would you be willing to give up Battier for Fernadez+(either Outlaw or Webster)? That really seems like a trade that would be more likely to happen. Even though Fernandez is not happy, he has no leverage at this time and I am not sure Landry will cut it in the deal. Also, our team might end up doing poorly this year. Do we want to give up our 2010 1st round pick? There would have to be protections on that for the lottery in my opinion.

9. BimaThug

Supporting Member

No, the trade restriction only applies for a full one-year period after the date on which Landry signed the Bobcats' offer sheet. Since Landry signed the offer sheet on September 29, 2008, his "consent right" lasts until September 29, 2009.

10. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I would only give up Battier (by the way, my absolute favorite player in the universe, so I'm biased) if Morey and the Rockets were positive that Yao's injury was career-threatening and decided to completely rebuild. Also, I am convinced that the addition of Shane Battier to the Trailblazers would make Portland a legit title contender NEXT YEAR and for years to come.

So, again, if the Rockets are determined to re-build, I would do a Battier for Rudy and Outlaw deal. If the Rockets are determined to plow through next season and come back strong in 2010-11, then I hold onto both Shane Battier and Luis Scola. Those two guys are cogs to a championship-caliber machine. We just need the freakin' main piece!

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That's the point I was going to make,don't give up the 2010 1st round pick,unless it's a non-lottery one. I want to retain Landry as well.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

We should just trade what we have for 2010 draft picks =(

13. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Ok if you want rework this team and survive the Yao injury this year whileset up a championship run in 2011 this is what the Rox can do:

1) Sign Gortat to be your center till Yao comes back
    2) Since the Pistons used all there caproom on Charlie V. and Ben Gordan then trade TMAC for Rip and Prince that way Detroit can get back in the 2010 Free Agent Bonanza.
    3) Trade Shane and Landry for Rudy F., Travis Outlaw and a just signed Channing Frye. Portland gets there glue guy to go with Hedo T. along with a replacement for Outlaw on the inside.
    4) Re-sign Artest for 2 years at 10 million each.

Gortat/Frye/Dorsey
    Scola/Outlaw/Hayes
    Prince/Fernandez/Barry
    Artest/Rip/Taylor/Budinger
    Brooks/Lowery

Super Flexible and no long term contracts except for Rip now imagine when Yao returns!! Summer of 2011 could be our free agent year since everyone is going for it in 2010.

14. rockets934life

I guess remove Ron Ron from my equation lol

15. raining threes

I love this deal

Take Ron-Ron out of the equation

16. rockets934life

Ok so Ron is gone no worries because it creates more money to possibly spend if necessary to resign Scola down the road or pick up someone else now. Lets say no one else comes into the equation then just slip Rip as the starter and your still in business with someone who would fit Adelman's system even better!