1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Realistic Trade Possibilities

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Malcolm, Jun 26, 2009.

1. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Carl Landry, Shane Battier and our 2010 First for Marko Jaric, Rudy Gay and a 2010 second rounder.

2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...you know if we hold on to Tmac until the trade deadline, I think there is a very good chance we could get something good from Washington. They kind of went "all in" when they traded their pick for Miller and Foye. Considering they were awful last year and have since added Miller and Foye to put them well over the cap, I think the odds are good that this team doesn't get significantly better next year and their mgmt will be forced to hold a fire sale to get under the cap. Tmac would be their biggest target in that climate.

I don't understand why Washington thinks that team is going to have a serious shot considering there isn't anyone who plays defense on that roster but I think they will be rethinking their strategy if they stumble out of the gates combined with them losing more money in the first half of the season. I have a hard time imagining a scenario where the Wiz continue to fool themselves they have a shot to compete with Cleveland, Boston, Orlando, or Atlanta.

Are there any other teams out there who might be holding a fire sale after stumbling out of the gates while the rich get richer via trade this off season(like Cleveland, Orlando, San Antonio, etc)?

BTW, has anyone else noticed that Danny Granger and Caron Butler are way better than what they are getting paid? Granger in particular makes a lot less than most of his supporting cast.

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Since I can't start a thread I have to say it here, anyone else just hear Todd Wright on sporting news? He said Dumars wants T Mac bad. According to Wright he knows people in the detroit office that told him. Not sure how reliable that is

4. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

Well when it comes to this topic yes its reliable. Dumars want to shorten its contract so they can go after a high value free agent 2010. They are shopping Halmiton and Prince. Last year they offered Wallace and Billips for TMAC.

5. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately, he's making $10M a year and Tmac's contract is $22.5M. So they would have to throw a lot more in to make salaries work, and that would likely nix the deal for one or both sides. Same reason we couldn't get in on Richard Jefferson.

If that is true, then this deal should be done immediately. You could get Hamilton and Prince for Tmac in a straight swap. They already have Iverson and Rasheed coming off the books this year, so I'm not sure what the urgency is to get more contracts unloaded, but if they want to do this, I don't know why the Rockets wouldn't.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I think for Dumars it's more a situation of pairing Tmac (when he's healthy) with Ben Gordon (when they sign him, there's too much smoke there for no fire).

If Tmac (tall passing SG) comes back strong, then you have a way forward. If he doesn't, you clear capspace to go after a player you want in 2010.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Man, that has to be too good to be true. I would so jump all over that!

8. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Houston Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: +25.5 ppg, +12.0 rpg, and +2.8 apg.
    Incoming Players
    Chris Kaman 7-0 C from Central Michigan 12.0 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 1.5 apg in 29.7 minutes
    Zach Randolph 6-9 PF from Michigan State 20.6 ppg, 12.4 rpg, 1.4 apg in 35.3 minutes
    Leandro Barbosa 6-3 PG from Brazil (Foreign) 14.2 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 2.3 apg in 24.4 minutes
    John Salmons 6-6 SG from Miami (FL) 18.3 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 3.7 apg in 37.4 minutes
    Kirk Hinrich 6-3 PG from Kansas 9.9 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 3.9 apg in 26.2 minutes
    Outgoing Players
    Aaron Brooks 5-11 PG from Oregon 11.2 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 3.0 apg in 25.0 minutes
    Brian Cook 6-9 PF from Illinois 3.0 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 0.2 apg in 6.9 minutes
    Ming Yao 7-6 C from China (Foreign) 19.7 ppg, 9.9 rpg, 1.8 apg in 33.6 minutes
    Tracy McGrady 6-8 SG / SF from Mount Zion Christian Academy (HS) 15.6 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 5.0 apg in 33.8 minutes

L.A. Clippers Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: -9.9 ppg, -9.2 rpg, and -0.9 apg.
    Incoming Players
    Brian Cook 6-9 PF from Illinois 3.0 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 0.2 apg in 6.9 minutes
    Ming Yao 7-6 C from China (Foreign) 19.7 ppg, 9.9 rpg, 1.8 apg in 33.6 minutes
    Outgoing Players
    Chris Kaman 7-0 C from Central Michigan 12.0 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 1.5 apg in 29.7 minutes
    Zach Randolph 6-9 PF from Michigan State 20.6 ppg, 12.4 rpg, 1.4 apg in 35.3 minutes

Phoenix Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: +1.4 ppg, +1.9 rpg, and +4.6 apg.
    Incoming Players
    Aaron Brooks 5-11 PG from Oregon 11.2 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 3.0 apg in 25.0 minutes
    Tracy McGrady 6-8 SG / SF from Mount Zion Christian Academy (HS) 15.6 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 5.0 apg in 33.8 minutes
    Tyrus Thomas 6-8 PF from LSU 10.2 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 0.9 apg in 26.5 minutes
    Outgoing Players
    Leandro Barbosa 6-3 PG from Brazil (Foreign) 14.2 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 2.3 apg in 24.4 minutes
    Amare Stoudemire 6-10 PF from Cypress Creek (HS) 21.4 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 2.0 apg in 36.8 minutes

Chicago Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: -17.0 ppg, -4.7 rpg, and -6.5 apg.
    Incoming Players
    Amare Stoudemire 6-10 PF from Cypress Creek (HS) 21.4 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 2.0 apg in 36.8 minutes
    Outgoing Players
    Tyrus Thomas 6-8 PF from LSU 10.2 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 0.9 apg in 26.5 minutes
    John Salmons 6-6 SG from Miami (FL) 18.3 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 3.7 apg in 37.4 minutes
    Kirk Hinrich 6-3 PG from Kansas 9.9 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 3.9 apg in 26.2 minutes

LA does it because they REALLY need to unload Randolph to allow Griffin more PT and there aren't many takers on the Randolph front. And Kayman is paid too much to come off the bench. They in return get a smaller cap anchor in Cook and Yao with his fan base and the possibility of coming back. Plus they pay out less money over fewer years.

Phoenix does it to move Amare and get a ton of cap space next year while picking up 2 talented players (you guess the 2) who are more in line with what the Suns want to pay.

Chicago does it to unload Hinrich's contract and get back someone who should dominate the East. Might have to add a pick (from us and maybe the clips) to sweaten their pot as they are getting robbed but they do get back someone who should help them sell tickets in Amare.

Houston... Well I love Yao but I think there are going to be injury problems from here on out. It's hard to keep a 300+ lb man healthy in the day-to-day grind of the NBA. I think Yao's value is pretty low right now so you are not getting back a superstar in return. Tracy - well people only want him for the 2010 sweapstakes. I'd like to see Aaron grow but you have to part with something of value. The good news is that he is the only piece that contributed near the end (after Tracy and Yao) went out so the remander of the Rockets are still in place. Randolph is not my favorite NBA player (in fact one of my least) but he still brings you 20/10 and there aren't a lot of players like that. But the reason I like this deal is I really like Salmons and think he can take over the starting SG position for years to come.

Kayman/Scola
    Randolph/Landry/Hayes/Dorsey
    Battier/Artest(?)/Budinger
    Salmons/Barry/Taylor
    Hinrich/Barbosa/Lowry

I think Rick can work his offense with this group and the bench becomes even stronger with plenty of scorers.

Now how realistic is this? Not likely - so never mind...

9. Egghead

Egghead Member

Artest S&T for Marvin Williams S&T

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Okay, I know this is not going to be a very popular idea on this BBS, but the recent article on ESPN.com by Chris Sheridan about "cap-killing contracts" got me thinking.

If you were Daryl Morey, and you were faced with an injured superstar (Yao) who will likely miss the entire 2009-10 season and thus will likely exercise his player option for the 2010-11 season rather than opt out, AND if Yao will not agree to an extension (at a reduced annual salary) this summer, would you make the following trade?:

Tracy McGrady
    for
    Andrei Kirilenko, C.J. Miles and New York's unprotected 2010 first rounder

Why Utah does this deal:

This is purely a financial deal for Utah, but it is a WHOPPER of a financial windfall for the Jazz. Kirilenko is owed $16.4M in 2009-10 and a mind-numbing $17.8M in 2010-11. Miles is actually reasonably priced at $3.7M for each year through 2012, the last year being a team option. The Knicks' first rounder would be the real cost to Utah in rid themselves of Kirilenko's contract. With Carlos Boozer deciding not to opt out of his contract, the Jazz are facing a major dilemma regarding their ability to re-sign Paul Millsap, who they want to pair with Deron Williams going forward. Especially if Mehmet Okur finally decides not to opt out either, Utah is in a heap of financial trouble next year.

Enter the Rockets. T-Mac's expiring contract is covered mostly by insurance, so the Jazz will save a bunch of money there. The real benefits will be seen by Utah next summer, when it would have the most cap room of any team in the NBA. Trading for T-Mac's contract clears over $21M off the Jazz's cap for 2010-11. Literally, the only players under contract for the Jazz would be Deron Williams, Paul Millsap (if re-signed), Kosta Koufos, and Eric Maynor. Utah could decide to re-sign Ronnie Brewer (likely), Okur (possibly), Boozer (unlikely), or go after any number of outside free agents willing to take big bucks in order to be willing to live in Salt Lake City.

Why Houston does this deal:

It is obvious that the Rockets will not be contending for the championship next year. It is also obvious that Yao Ming will not be opting out of his contract in 2010 and looking for a max contract immediately following a season completely lost due to injury. Making this trade would allow the Rockets to stay competitive while rebuilding at the same time.

Kirilenko (as much as Rockets fans hate him) is still a good player who simply does not fit in with the current Jazz roster. He possesses a rare skill set that could work well in Adelman's offense. He's a 6-9 SF/PF who can play lock-down man-to-man defense, can block shots (either from the weak side or his own man, a rare trait), can run the fast break, and can even pass a little. Admit it. If he were a 25-year-old free agent who never played for the Jazz, you'd be drooling to sign him. He actually just turned 28.

Miles is another young asset who (at least in my opinion) is better than Von Wafer. He's got legit size at the SG spot (he's 6-6) and will only get better, especially under a coach who will nurture him rather than berating him like Jerry Sloan has for the past few seasons. The guy also just turned 22 years old.

The biggest purpose of this trade would be to acquire that unprotected first rounder from the Knicks. This pick could be as high as #1 overall and will probably be no worse that 8-10. Being able to potentially add a guy like John Wall to the Rockets without having to LOSE GAMES in order to do so is tremendous.

The downside to the Rockets is that they would need to let Artest go in free agency. More likely, the Rockets could agree to sign-and-trade Artest to a team under the salary cap (so Artest gets more money on the total value of his contract) in exchange for something like a future first rounder. Houston would then have a "small-ball, run-and-gun" lineup that looks something like this:

Brooks/Lowry
    Miles/Taylor/Budinger/Barry
    Battier/White
    Kirilenko/Landry/Cook
    Scola/Hayes/Dorsey/(Yao)

The Rockets could also package Barry, Cook and other assets to a team looking for 2010 cap space in exchange for a decent player whose contract runs through 2011. If Yao comes back for 2010-11, then the dynamic of the team's rotation changes but the team is still competitive:

Brooks/Lowry
    Miles/Taylor
    Kirilenko/Battier (with Battier still playing major minutes)
    Scola/Landry
    Yao (with Scola playing a good deal of center under the small-ball lineup above)

Plus the Knicks' 2010 pick

In 2011, the Rockets will have no major salary commitments to speak of except for the following:

--Luis Scola (if re-signed in 2010)
    --Kyle Lowry (if re-signed in 2010)
    --C.J. Miles (team option)
    --Cap hold for Aaron Brooks (~$8.9M, but qualifying offer is less than $3M)
    --Cap hold for Carl Landry (~$4.5M, but may be more depending on salary cap)
    --Knicks' 2009 pick's salary
    --2010, 2011 first round pick salaries
    --Possible team options on Jermaine Taylor and Chase Budinger (if signed to MLE deals this summer)

Basically, the Rockets could pick and choose who to keep and could likely be major players in the free agent class of 2011.

I know I'm rambling, but I just thought this would be a way to possibly rebuild without having to stop being competitive.

11. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I meant the Knicks' 2010 pick. Sorry.

12. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Well, BOTH Boozer and Okur decided NOT to opt out of their contracts. Why Okur was even thinking about opting out of $9.5M guaranteed in this economy is beyond me.

Utah is so screwed. They will have to dump salary in order to re-sign Paul Millsap.

The Detroit Pistons must be licking their chops right now.

13. Stilldream'n34

Well now that Okur is staying in Utah, maybe we could trade for Fesenko. Maybe a future 2nd round pick or cash considerations

14. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

that's pretty creative thinking. I think its along the lines of what it will take to keep us building and semi-competitive. I'd do it, just don't know if the Jazz would.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Why not usher in the Brooklyn Nets with a bang?

I don't know if Brooklyn is getting that stadium---seems I read they're going through with it; and they would sure get some backing if LeBron and another big 2010 name showed up.

Rod Thorn says the Nets can give two max contracts now, but a little more financial wiggle room wouldn't hurt. They could add a 3rd solid free agent if need be.

Something like, if not exactly:

Tmac (expiring) + Brooks + Dorsey + Taylor or Budinger (draft rights)

for

Devin Harris + Bobby Simmons (expiring) + Hassell (exp.) + Najera + T. Williams (draft rights)

If this leans too heavy one way or the other it can be tweaked. But New Jersey saves even more cap space next year when Jay-Z tries to get his buddy Bron Bron to sign on for the Brooklyn Nets. Bosh will follow.

Tmac? If he looks like he's still gonna be good to go, re-sign him for a few years at a semi-reasonable rate, or let him go and save a ton of money for a midlevel free agent.

Losing Devin Harris is no one's idea of ideal, but that extra cap space or Tmac sticking around + Aaron Brooks + LeBron + Bosh + Lopez etc etc?

We would get a top flight point guard and stick it to the Mavs in the process (giving up Devin Harris for an 80 year old JKidd? smaaaart!). We'd have some contracts we could let expire, or we could flip them for a center.

Or use Devin Harris to trade with Minnesota: rights to Ricky Rubio + Madsen + Cardinal (two expiring white stiffs) for Devin Harris (I think Minnesota tried to trade for him).

Personally not thrilled to help Minnesota improve while we get Rubio up and running but it's an option to get Rubio.

16. texascityman31

Ok if the Rockets wanna avoid rebuilding and go for it this year, here is the offseason.

Trade T-Mac, Landry, Brooks, and rights to Budinger to Suns For Stoudemire and Barbosa.

Give Ron a 4 year 42 million dollar contract.

Sign Gortat to a 4 year 24 million dollar contract.

Rotation:

Starters-

PF - Scola

SF - Battier

C - Stoudemire

SG - Artest

PG - Lowry

Bench:

PG/SG - Barbosa

SG/SF - Taylor

PF - Hayes

PF/C - Gortat

17. tingalingy

tingalingy Member

Here's how I'd go about the TMac situation.

I'd trade T-Mac to NYK for Hughes and Mobley. Then, after Utah matches the contract for Milsap, we offer Mobley and Landry for Boozer and one of their young centers, either Fesenko or Koufos. We may have to offer more, because Boozer and a young C for cap relief and Landry seems like a steal, but if you factor in Milsap it works out for Utah.

I think NYK would do this in a heartbeat because they would like to have a big name, and face it, when TMac comes back, he could help them out in a big way.

Why do we do it? For Hughes, we get a backup at the 2 to help out with either the young guys or if Artest leaves. Although I know he's kinda crap now, Hughes was a slasher and may do okay in Adelman's system. He also can guard either the 1 or 2 which makes him pretty versatile when he's healthy and willing. We just can't let him shoot jumpers, and to combat this we somehow amend his contract to say that he gets $10,000 less for every jumper he misses. Kidding aside, he also doesn't hurt our cap space next year, when we could have boatloads.

As for the Utah trade, we wouldn't mind a little upgrade at the 4. Scolandry is awesome, but I think Scola and Boozer would be even better. I'm not a Boozer fan at all, and agree with many of the posters out there. But he can do everything Landry does and more. Plus Boozer reunites with Shane, and he's an expiring contract as well. And with the young center, we get a project that we can use for a few years.

Losing Landry will sting, but then we will have 3 million more for the summer of '10, which I think helps in the long run.

Utah does it because they want Milsap more than Boozer, and will have to go over the tax limit to keep him. With Mobley's contract they'll still be over the cap some still, but with it being picked up by insurance, not much will come out of the pocket of the owner. Also, they'll be getting a good backup in Landry.

If the Boozer thing doesn't work, we still have an excellent trade chip in Mobley's contract.

Our lineup would then look like this.

PG Brooks/Lowry

SG Artest/Hughes/rookie

SF Battier/Artest/Barry

PF Boozer/Scola/Hayes

C Yao/Gortat?/Utah C

A pretty good lineup if you ask me. I know that we'd have too many people if you include James White, the other rookie, Cook, and Dorsey, so someone would have to go. But Morey would make it happen.

I have 70 trade ideas running through my head each day, so let me know what you think about this one.

18. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

what?? No way in hell I want any jazz or spurs players... screw that

19. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

gortat deserves 6 million a year for a one playoff game performance of 15 rebs?

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I couldn't stomach Carlos Boozer on the Rockets. He is the modern-day Karl Malone to me, and something about him just screams non-winner to me. I guess it's the way he dealt with the Cavs and his ass-holish attitude.