1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Realistic Trade Possibilities

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Malcolm, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

...what?

2. alcatrazpsycho

Milwaukee deal in a heart beat.

PG A. Brooks / K. Lowry
    SG M. Redd / J. Taylor
    SF S. Battier / R. Artest / C. Budinger
    PF L. Scola / C. Landry
     C M. Yao / D. Gadzuric

Now imagine if we somehow acquired Ricky Rubio!

3. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Posted this yesterday, but I still think it is relevant

I think there are realistically only two (2) teams willing to take on T-Mac’s contract: either Boston or Philly.

Trade One: Philly and Houston

A Philly trade – if it could be pulled off – would be one that makes Houston a much better team. It would not happen until after the NBA draft (July 1st).
    Houston gets
    G/F Andre Iguodala
    PG Andre Miller (sign & trade)
    C Samuel Dalembert

Philly gets
    G/F Tracy McGrady
    PG Kyle Lowry
    F Chuck Hayes
    G/F Brent Barry
    $3 million in cash
    Unprotected 2011 1st round pick

Why would Houston do the deal:
    Iguodala is a younger version of McGrady with a less consistent 3-point shot. In addition, it fills Morey’s desire of trading McGrady for another “superstar”. (I think Iguodala is on the precipice.) Dalembert is Mutombo Part II – albeit with a massive contract. Andre Miller is a steady point guard who probably has two – three solid years left in him. Overall, the Rockets would have a team that could play a solid half-court game (Miller, Artest, Battier, Scola, Yao) or can go up-tempo (Brooks, Wafer, Iguodala, Landry, Dalembert).

Why would Philly do the deal:
    Their current team is built for half-court play with the addition of Brand. (I know they are trying to trade Brand, but nobody is going to take on that contract.) McGrady gives Philly a player that can create in a half-court set – when healthy. Andre Miller wants out and Philly can get something for their “commodity”. Also, Philly gets to dump the ridiculous Dalembert contract. Lowry is a Philly guy who played at Villanova. Moreover, he brings a steady hand to the PG position. Hayes and Barry are throw-ins for cap purposes who can be bought out with the cash sent by Les Alexander. (They could possibly even re-sign with Rox.) The 2011 is a deal sweetener that will probably be in the high 20’s or low 30’s in 2011. Moreover, Philly puts itself in a much better position vis-à-vis the salary cap in future years.

A variation of this trade involves Detroit getting involved

Houston
    F Tayshaun Prince
    PG Andre Miller (S&T)
    C Samuel Dalembert

Detroit
    G/F Tracy McGrady

Philly
    G/F Richard Hamilton
    F/C Brian Cook
    PG Kyle Lowry
    F Chuck Hayes
    G/F Brent Barry

This would not be as beneficial to Houston as Prince is not quite on par with Iguodala. Detroit might do this trade in order to have maximum money available in 2010 for free agents to add to a nucleus of Stuckey, Boozer, and Gordon. Philly gets two (2) native sons back in Hamilton and Lowry as well as shed some salaries.

Trade Two: Boston and Houston

This is a more realistic deal and could probably happen based on the bad-blood developing between Danny Ainge and Rajon Rondo.

Houston gets
    G/F Ray Allen
    PG Rajon Rondo
    C/F Kendrick Perkins

Boston gets
    G/F Tracy McGrady
    PG Aaron Brooks
    F/C Brian Cook
    $3 million cash

Why would Houston do the deal:
    Once again, this fills Morey’s goal of T-Mac for a “star”. Allen is a fading star, but one who’s outside shot should be complemented nicely by Yao. Rondo may play better in Adelman’s free-flowing offense and, as evidenced from the playoffs, is a triple double waiting to happen. Perkins is from Beaumont and should be able to fill in for Yao admirably.

Why would Boston do the deal:
    The team should be able to play well while waiting on T-Mac to heal. T-Mac for Allen is a wash in terms of talent, but Brooks has the potential to match Rondo’s points and assist numbers. Cook is included for cap purposes, but the included cash makes him go away quickly.

4. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

What about ron artest? :confused:

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

For the record Richard Jefferson has never been an all-star, and just last offseason the Rockets acquired a similar-caliber player by giving up even less than what the Spurs had to give up to get RJ. The Spurs lost two pretty backup bigs, and perhaps their best wing defender in making their deal. Remind me again what the Rockets gave up for Artest. Or what they gave up, to the Spurs, for Scola.

My understanding is that the Rockets as active as anyone in trade talks with various teams. I'm sure that includes talks for Jefferson and Carter as well. What would you have offered for Richard Jefferson and Vince Carter?

6. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You should really stop bringing up the Spurs trade bcause it has no bearing on us whatsoever. Jefferson was only making $15M, so the Bucks would have had to include more players if we traded them Tmac, which they likely did not want to do. Also, the fact that they received multiple smaller contracts allowed them to send Oberto to Detroit for Johnson. They could not have done this with a bulk contract like McGrady. There is absolutely nothing to indicate that we could have gotten Jefferson and this deal happened simply because Morey was asleep at the switch. It is really a preposterous scenario.

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Spurs got over with trash and the rox are still walking lost.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah.

This team is still a good team...it just needs to be healthy. Rockets are in no rush to do something stupid.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Now that Orlando has VC. How about McGrady/Taylor/Budinger/Dorsey to Orlando for a re-signed Hedo, a re-signed Gortat, and J.J. Redick? Give Gortat MLE money. Give Hedo about $60 over 5-6 years. Orlando gets a replacement for Courtney Lee (Taylor), they get a cheap backup for Dwight (Dorsey), another young swingman in Budinger, plus if McGrady recovers, they get a one year rental. Yeah, we'd have to throw a pick at them. And then I don't know if they do it, unless they are for sure going to lose Hedo.

Another possibility: Offer Minny Battier/Lowry/cash and a future #1 unprotected for Rubio. If they bite.....then offer McGrady to Charlotte for Wallace/Diaw and Vlad. We can throw in Landry to Charlotte to make the deal work for them. And if Charlotte wants to take out Wallace or Diaw and replace them with Okafor that will be fine too.

We need to trump New York's offer for Rubio. He is a generational type player. There are other factors to consider here, not just on court talent (of which the kid has plenty of). The NBA is now a world stage. What could make a team more profitable than to have both the Chinese Superstar, an Argentenian megastar, and basically the basketball equivalent of the European Magic Johnson all playing for the same team. I know Morey sees this and I know he is doing everything he can to get this kid...for all the reasons. This is the European Magic Johnson. He is going to play in the NBA. He is going to be successful in the NBA. And he is going to make some team a boatload of money. We should all have the vision and foresight to see this. Combine that with the hispanic market here in Houston. It just makes too much sense. If I was Morey, I would trump New York's offer, hopefully, if Rubio continues to hold out on Minny. (What I am trying to say is, I would send Minny Battier, Brooks, Landry, and a future #1 for him.) Put the kid on the floor and take our lumps. I really don't care if we lose a year on his development. He is a world class talent and gate attraction. And his talent will develop just fine in the NBA to the point where he will be a super star. When you play against Kobe and Chris Paul and they say you are a player, that should tell us all we need to know.

Yao/Scola/Rubio/Artest/??????????

That is a colossal world team. It goes beyond America's team.

2 people like this.
  10. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Patiencs is a virtue. ;)

11. theDude

Supporting Member

Unfortunate for the Rockets they don't have a roster full of well-paid trash with expiring contracts that fit Jefferson's payroll. It was not a trade the Rockets could havemade. Get over it.

12. BigTex

BigTex Member

Tmac/Landry/rookie

for

Hamilton/Prince/Kwame

13. theDude

Supporting Member

I like it, but is there any restriction on when a drafted player can be traded once they have signed with the team that drafted them? I know they can be traded on draft night, but the pick has no actual value then. Not sure if there is any waiting period after that.

14. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I'd take that in a Jiffy. ****, throw in all 3 rookies and I'll still do it.

15. tming

tming Member

Amen to that brother.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm convinced that Sac will have to move Nocioni and or Kenny Thomas so they will have to move Kevin Martin.

this is what i propose:

T-mac
    Aaron Brooks
    Joey Dorsey
    Draft picks and players just aquired in draft.

for

Beno Udrih
    Kevin Martin
    Kenny Thomas or Nocioni

Sac saves Money and gets Brooks .​

17. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

I read this proposal on a mavs board:

Terry + stackhouse for Tmac

Would you do it? Stackhouse is done, but Terry would be good on this team as a 2 I think. Better than nothing at least.

18. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I'd rather give Tracy another chance on this team than take that trade.

19. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

How are any of these trades realistic?? Why would the Pistons trade 2 of their best players for a guy who is just coming off micro fracture surgery?? I swear I think when guys think of trades they look at one side and not the other.

20. theDude

Supporting Member

Because the Pistons are dropping like a rock and are going to have to completely rebuild. They trade guys with two and three years left on their contracts for a guy who comes off the books after this season. If Tmac comes back at all, they would be in a position to sign him to a reasonable contract, if they so choose, as a veteran presence for their younger guys. If not, they have room to sign other free agents and have some cap flexibility.

You can't always trade garbage for good players, but sometimes it makes sense and works for both teams as it did for the Spurs and Bucks.