1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rafael, I hope.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, May 1, 2022.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You need rim protection (verticality) and high IQ team switching (lateral speed) and disruptiveness (good hands). You can get those from multiple positions; it doesnt need a 7 foot tank. It's about team defense. A Capela level center with smart disruptive wings who communicate can be successful. Inconsistent, dumb, or low motor guys are Achilles heels. Unfortunately we do have a couple of those.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don’t get why people say this. Omg, all star guard blew by him for a layup!!! Guards don’t stay in front of guards.

meanwhile Alpi’s bball iq is off the charts, and shows up defensively, where he is a better blocker than expected and understands team concepts. He was among the better players in DRtg and DPM (2nd on the team).

I am in favor of Chet cause Chet as a 4 next to Alpi as a 5 is actually a very good defensive front court.

plus I like Chet’s offensive potential.

but I’d be fine with Jabari too with the same concept.

3. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I never said anything about all star guard or perimeter defense did I? I said specifically paint presence and shot blocking or altering ability which he lacks. I don’t know what stats you are citing all I know is from what I have seen. He does not protect the paint as guards drive baseline or off high screen and rolls on him at will with no fear. Usually a big such as Capela deters guards or smaller players from trying to layup the ball in the paint altering their course or the shot. Sengun doesn’t provide this. Its about playing physical, body positioning, and footwork not to mention he has shorter arms don’t help him. Guys like Robert Williams are the same height but more agile laterally and have longer arms. As I have said I don’t know if he can improve since he isn’t a physical player and has physical limitations so he is a conundrum to me.

4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

It says something when Steven Adams (Grizz) sits out 3 games vs
    T-Wolves and the Grizz win all 3 games.....two of them in Minny.

5. Joe Willie

Joe Willie Member

All I know is that teams with any kind of big man simply destroyed this team. The Rockets made them look like a combination of Shaq and Dream. It was brutal to watch.

CriscoKidd likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Your Bruno love is hilarious.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

It's really not about being bigger and more physical. That play style is from the 90's & 00's.

It's about being long, switchable and disruptive on defense.

While being able to run, finish and shoot 3ball.

eliefor3 and comrade like this.
  8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Your snarky comments are hilarious.

9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Lol why do you always do this? Did I say anything about 90s style basketball? Or is it in your head that I was referring to that style.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Physicality is not the answer to modern defense, so no Bruno for you.

Its comical how you shyte on Sengun to raise up an end of bench player like Bruno.

eliefor3 likes this.
  11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Lol Oh so you are arguing the word physical. And this is personal for you since you are a fervent Sengun supporter. Well Have you ever played basketball in your life? How about watching how marcus smart, jrue holiday, or heck even Torrey Craig play? Giannis? If so you wouldn’t be arguing with me about what “physical” means. Physical play is still a part of basketball whether you acknowledge it or not. Contact is still a part of basketball. Absorbing contact and using your body to defend is still a part of basketball. Blowing through screens. Physical. Nobody said 90s style. Thats your delusional interpretation. You are Arguing just to argue lol you have some weird thing against me it seems.

#51 Stephen_A, May 2, 2022
    Last edited: May 2, 2022
  12. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

How about you scroll up and read my previous replies before assuming again. You aren’t saying anything new. Nothing different except the stupid term “disruptive” which you got from the other guy. You can’t be disruptive without being physical lol. Active hands is physical lol going vertical is physical lol taking a charge is physical boxing out is physical lololol

#52 Stephen_A, May 2, 2022
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Are you really calling Jabari Smith a "Paint Presence"??

Dude is not a post / paint player, he's a catch and shoot outside shooter (42% from 3) who can't dribble and has no post game who gets 35% of his shots in the paint blocked.

But if you wanna call him a post presence ..... by all means.

hakeem94 and eliefor3 like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Disruptive defense = blocks, steals, deflections, altered shots, etc.

It's an actual basketball term.

You really should stop, you're embarrassing yourself.

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

sengun is the problem, we should trade him to warriors for kuminga...
    sengun and a late FRP for kuminga i think should be a fair trade and warriors say yes....so we add a perfect young wing to our core to go along with jalen green and gsw, well they would probably know better than rockets what to do with sengun...

#55 hakeem94, May 2, 2022
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

its mostly on coaching

Joe Willie likes this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

draymond, yanis cant shoot 3 ball.. well they can shoot , anyone can, but not at a 'good' percentage...

D-rock likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

cant even dribble?! LOL lol i knew the hype is real...never watched the highlights but intuitively knew all these young guys are not nearly good as advertised

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I agree, it is probably even more complex than that.

And elite shotmaking in the 4th Q..... we had a team with decent shooters but not great shooters in 2018.

D-rock likes this.
  20. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

didn’t read don’t care for your pseudo knowledge. You want the last word so bad? Here have it little dum dum.