1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] What is your current opinion on Alperen Sengun's ceiling?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MystikArkitect, Dec 1, 2022.

?

What is Al-P's realistic ceiling?

1. Best player on a contender

2. Integral starter on a contender

3. Backup/role player on a contender

4. Best player on a decent team

5. Integral player on a decent team

6. Backup/role player/mid-level

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Reeko

Reeko Member

thread is talking about realistic ceiling

2. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

What is the realistic ceiling for his 3 pt shot then? For me it is about 40%

cml750 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

I have it nowhere close to 40%…I’d be happy if he consistently did 33%, and even then, I doubt he’d be a volume shooter from deep

MystikArkitect likes this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If he shoots 33% from 3 he will be one of the top 3-5 offensive players in the game.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

doubt it…there are many amazing offensive players in this league and will continue to be so

33% on a limited number of threes is ultimately meh

6. maj21

maj21 Member

So your ceiling for him is 1 percent below Klay Thompson for his career? Interesting. Granted, I’m sure you’re thinking on way less volume. Nevertheless, still very interesting lol

7. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

40% is not for career, for his best season on 3-4 attempts per game.

Realistic Expectation is 30-37% on 3-4 attempts per game. It is hard to tell where he will land in that interval. I was expecting to see an improvement this year, but nothing so far, except form is good, and shoots with less hesitation. He should be encouraged by the coaching staff to take more threes, but based on how reluctant he is, I am guessing that is not the case.

maj21 likes this.
  8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun will eventually have much of the offense run through him. Considering he's only 20, and big men take the longest to develop, I'd say he's right on schedule. High & low post...Alpy plays the right way...it will be about winning basketball, while absolutely filling up the stat sheet. I know many short change him, due to a "lack of athleticism", but the eye test is undeniable. A natural feel for the game that can't be taught, high BBIQ, great passer, an assortment of post moves...If it isn't already obvious to most, it will be, as he matures/grows into a man...Dream in the background working with him.
    His ceiling is indeed the best player on a contender. Aren't we fortunate to have at least a couple of those?

9. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah thats fair idk I guess "realistic" ceiling is super vague and up to personal judgement so it's hard to argue about. I look at his 80% free throw shooting as an indicator that he knows how to shoot and that typically translates pretty well. If you look at centers who are good free throw shooters, you got KAT, Vucevic, Valanciunas, Jokic, Embiid, Myles Turner, Brook Lopez, Al Horford, Mike Muscala...the guys who can shoot free throws are also the guys who shoot 3s. So to me I would be pretty surprised if Sengun never becomes a three point shooter. Obviously there are some exceptions to this rule, first ones that come to mind would be Kanter or Adebayo, I'm sure there are more. But typically, free throw shooting is a good indicator that a center can learn to shoot 3s.

clutchdabear, cmoak1982 and burlesk like this.
  10. MystikArkitect

Jokic is a 32% 3 pt shooter. A 2x MVP. He was almost at 40% once in his career.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Extremely high ceiling. His natural passing skills, footwork, and bball IQ are unique. I also see the effort on defense, which will at least allow him to be decent on the other side of the ball. Give him minutes, give him the ball, and watch good things happen.

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Brooke Lopez at Sengun's age was considered a hopeless defensive player and unlikely to develop a 3pt shot despite putting up solid double doubles on the regular. He was universally seen as a guy putting up a hollow, hopeless 20 points and 10 rebounds.

If he can develop into a player that can start on a championship team, then so can Sengun. Especially since Sengun brings the huge added impact of passing and high bball IQ two things that Lopez never had. Similarly Miami won with Chris Bosh starting at C and he was far from being considered a good defensive player when he arrived in Miami and many questioned whether his interior softness could be changed.

There's another assumption here which is that his defense will not improve, which is a ridiculous assumption. A high IQ player who can block shots - how many of those have not eventually figured out how to play good enough D to start at C? How much better would Alpi be with added muscle?

Also people are counting out the possibility that Jabari or Garuba in 2 years will be able to guard 5's and space the floor, which would mean we have one defensive potential weak link at the 4 in Sengun. Teams have won titles with weaker links on the court than that with smart play. On offense, he'd continue functioning as a C.

If there's anything the NBA has shown it's that an unlikely and new style of play is relatively common among champions. Given his offensive potential with a 3pt shot, he's a good candidate to break that trend.

It's truly absurd to say that a 20yr old will never be able to do something unless it's strictly limited to a physical thing (like getting much fast or jumping much higher). If you're going to bet on someone in life, bet on the guy who has - without an athletic advantage - been outplaying older players than him his whole life to this point. Just crossing my fingers that he takes the development of 3pt shot as a priority in his career. After that, it's simply going to be hard to keep him off the floor for any team.

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

But it opens up the rest of his game if players have to respect the 3.
    That’s a game changer for an already good offensive player

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Said this countless times before - I think his best fit is being the first big off the bench, this way he's not competing with Jalen & whoever the lead guard is for usage.

With the second unit he's your best option to produce good shots and allow you to run an efficient offense & he's got better defenders around him on that second unit currently to cover up his defensive shortcomings.

While I like what the bench group including Garuba / Tari / KJM have done, it makes a lot of sense to run Sengun with the second unit and Garuba with the starters ... & break glass in case of emergency on Bruno or you could ship him out with EG.

Sengun
    KJM
    Tari
    Green/Mathews
    Nix (I know people hate on him, but he doesn't eat up possessions like KPJ & we lack a better option).

larsv8 likes this.
  15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Giannis .... .232 this year and .286 for his career.

I know he's an outlier but so is Sengun in terms of skillset - That's not to say he's the same explosive player that Giannis is, just that they both suck as shooters but get to the rim or find open looks for others.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you are not developing Alperen Sengun to be a starting C alongside JG and Jabari, then you should get rid of him.

You don't treat Alperen Sengun like he is Enes Kanter, Demarcus Cousins, or Boban... He needs to be a fixture of how the offense is designed and how it plays for 48 minutes a game.

cml750, clutchdabear and LeDakota like this.
  17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Sengun needs to play like Boris diaw position wise.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I doubt he will 100% be a Jokic clone.

He is already going the Hakeem lite route on Offense and he likely won't attempt the same amount of 3s.

Denver got rid of Nurkic for Jokic, I don't see the same commitment from Houston, I really do not.

[​IMG]

#78 daywalker02, Dec 2, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  19. Jontro

Jontro Member

that's cus breh should be starting at sf. it was his starting position when he was a kid

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

obviously Alpi is gonna be the first 50% 3pt shooter in NBA history.

MystikArkitect likes this.