1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul Ryan: Obamacare repeal is first priority under Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well it couldn't very well be "let", it would have to be "force" and even on top of that you'd have to raise taxes to pay for the rest.....and people would still need insurance on top of that if they wanted to go to good doctors or do elective surgeries

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

If you charge a reasonable price for medicare insurance and let everyone buy into it, it will soon take over the medical insurance industry, as it is more cost effective, I gave the data several posts earlier. You could keep buying your higher cost less benefit private insurance if you wish.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Again, you'd have to force everyone to buy into it because a lot of people would prefer private insurance that would allow them to use the best doctors and have surgeries that a government insurance would consider elective. Even if everyone bought in, it still wouldn't pay for itself so you'd have to raise taxes in other ways in order to pay for it.

4. pirc1

Why would it not pay for itself if you charge a reasonable price for buying in?

5. dmoneybangbang

That's why Medicare has tons of supplemental plans....

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, think about it, are the people on Medicare the only people who pay for it? Of course not, literally everyone pays for a system only used by less than 55 million people.....so it takes somewhere around 250 million taxpayers to pay for the system that less than 55 million people use......so if you are then going to potentially cover 320 million+ people....how many would it take then?

7. pirc1

You are paying for it now but when you use it later, you are not being charge a premium, that is why everyone pay for it. For those who are under the age for benefits, they can pay into it like any other insurance, what is so hard to understand?

8. dmoneybangbang

You would still have to subsidize the low income/poor. Most of the developed has basic healthcare for everyone and supplemental care for those wanting to pay for extra.

9. pirc1

How much to subsidize the low income people who are not on medicaid is another issue, I am only talking about allow medicare join the market place as another competitor. If the private insurances are so good, they should have nothing to fear as they could out compete medicare based on price, benefits, etc, am I not right?

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh those private insurances wouldn't worry, they'd know that not everyone wants to effectively go to Ben Taub for all of their health care. The good healthcare would be only for the rich in a system like that and the people who aren't just rich enough to write a check for all of their needs would need insurance that the good doctors would accept. In theory though it would help those at the bottom but it would be expensive as hell and their quality of healthcare would be weak at best.

11. pirc1

If that is the case, I wonder why all the insurance companies fight like their lives are the line against this type of proposals? The rich will always get the best treatment, that is fine as they have the means. What I and many others are looking for is reasonable insurance for everyone else. My employer pays over 20k for my insurance, I do not even think it is that great a plan, if medicare could offer a better alternative, why not let the market place decide who is better.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The GOP wants to eliminate, er, "privatize" Medicare.

13. dmoneybangbang

It all depends what you are trying to do. Medicare currently provides basic subsidized medical care but you have to pay extra for better medical care and prescription coverage.

14. dmoneybangbang

I would make everyone have basic medical care and have supplemental insurance for those wanting extra.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Friday evening designed to "ease the burden" of Obamacare.

The order “directs the departments and agencies to ease the burden of Obamacare as we transition to repeal and replace,” White House press secretary Sean Spicer told reporters. It was not clear exactly what the order instructs the federal agencies to do.​

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-eo-233950

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Don't penalize companies that do not meet requirements. Which requirements? You go figure it out.

#336 Amiga, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  17. NewRoxFan

Doesn't really do anything. Many of the regulations are already set in law and can't be changed by executive order. And this order even needs to wait until Trumps nutjob HHS director is in place anyway. The order was written in vague terms and as such doesn't specifically remove any specific tax or requirement.

While Trump and the republicans will eventually takeaway insurance from millions, this order was just for show.

18. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

ambiguity is his way of letting it go to ***** and he gets to wash his hands of any wrong doing. He will later say "i didn't mean that"

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

With partisanship being king, I don't think it's necessary for him to hide under any ambiguity, or anything else for that matter. He also has shown no interest in "winning" support from others beside his supporters and so I think he will continue not caring about that enough to play games.

Although I said, you go figure it out, Trump seems to be the person that will want to make the final decision in his own way. So, go figure it out, come back and I'll make the decision.

20. NewRoxFan