1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul Ryan: Obamacare repeal is first priority under Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You do realize that Obamacare didn't fully go into effect till 2014 right? You also realize that as more and more of Obamacare went into effect, that's when we saw the increases start right? Trying to show that the years when it wasn't really in effect were awesome and that once it really got going the costs started to shoot up says kind of the opposite of what narrative you want to be selling.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You're both wrong and both right.

Bobby is right that is disingenuous to use numbers from the years where the ACA was not fully implemented, the carriers were being reimbursed for losses still, and the carriers didn't have a gauge for losses from the exchanges.

Bobby is wrong in his assertions that Obamacare did no good however. I won't bother to point out the flaws because I know he'll just trash me like he always does when I disagree with him.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you are going to say that it did good in the sense that it eliminated pre existing conditions and forced everyone to buy insurance then I'll agree that there was some good there.....but having insurance and being able to afford to use it isn't the same thing. My argument is that the ACA was short sighted and even if left alone it's unlikely that it would be able to continue without collapsing within a few years. Any program that can't make it without being bailed out a few years into its existence is a bad one.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I agree with you that it was fatally flawed. I don't agree with the talking point of more people having access. When the quality of options decline you can't brag that more people have the option.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Then it sounds like we agree. I was really saying that the few positives don't make up for the fact that it is fatally flawed as you put it.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't think many people on either side was happy with Obamacare except for increased coverage and the removal of pre-existing conditions.

-Employer managed healthcare still dominates.
    -Tangible costs still are hidden to the patient and eaten up by the insurer or provider.

On a similar tangent, I hope the Republican government brings up tort reform again and finally acts on it.

On one hand, this will reduce the deterrence factor that follow in the spirit of class action lawsuits, and it hasn't been convincingly shown it has any effect when states do it.

On the other, I just want to see their idea in action and get hard data on whether it works or not on a national level.

**** or get off the pot.

7. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Where is the replacement plan?

8. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I know I know ACA sucks but not for everyone.

[​IMG]

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

True, that person got a great deal while everyone else in the country got to pay that bill for him indirectly.

10. dmoneybangbang

Yep.. that's how insurance works....

11. dmoneybangbang

12. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Looks like it will Repeal and wait for .... nothing.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't Rand Paul put out a potential replacement bill already or is that later this week?

14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I have my doubts about if there will be a replacement plan. Even if the Ryan plan is put in place, it will really be a death panel plan for cancer patients.

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The "Something Great" plan just got replaced with the "Insurance for Everybody" plan.

London'sBurning likes this.
  16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If trump gets universal healthcare I will become a trump supporter.

17. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Are you talking about a banker from the bank bailout?
    Eat the rich.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Insurance for everyone is an interesting choice of words. Universal health insurance vs universal health care? Maybe he's going after universal basic primary cares. Now I can't wait to see what's all this is about.

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

based on what Ryan has said, my guess is Trump means a universal individual tax credit (effectively a voucher)

meaning you get the money regardless of your tax liability

would prefer a tax deduction, but this is the next best thing

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

This already exists in ACA, but it is available to taxpayers with low and moderate incomes.

https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/premium-tax-credit/
    https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care...estions-and-answers-on-the-premium-tax-credit

The BCBS site provides a better explanation as to how it works:

http://www.bcbsm.com/index/health-i...ng-insurance/advanced-premium-tax-credit.html

This Kaiser site provides a calculator to help understand the costs:

http://kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/