1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Passage] It’s Time To Ban The Sale Of Pickup Trucks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that may be true, but that's not what you originally said--you said most people don't have reasons to drive trucks. I think that is incorrect.

2. SuraGotMadHops

So what if boats and campers (and trucks) are lifestyle? People are allowed to have lifestyles without being shamed that the truck they use to haul such lifestyle items are somehow damaging or wasteful. "Well my crossover can do that" Good for you. So can my truck, except my truck does it without looking ugly as sin. Some people drive cars strictly on a utility basis, others don't. For many, aesthetics count.

You know who rents trucks to haul things? People who don't have trucks. People own truck so that they DON'T have to rent when they need to haul things. Trucks are useful for a lot of things.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think it's the cost proposition for most people. If you are going to haul things once a year or only when you move and just need to rent a truck a few times a year, does it make economical sense to purchase an entire vehicle for that understanding the daily increased cost of gas and the fact that heavier vehicles have more expensive cost in replacing the common wear and tear items like tires and brake pads?

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to rent a truck if you only are going to use it for the very occasional haul?

5. SuraGotMadHops

If you don't like having your own truck, then sure.

People buy trucks because they like them, and the utility and function that comes with them. Truck buyers are not running a rent/buy cost analysis for the future in the event they need to haul something. They buy the truck they like that is capable of hauling when needed. When not hauling, they still enjoy it.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

But how will men with small penises compensate for their inadequacies now?

Motorcycles maybe.

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

nobody needs big sodas either

external-content.duckduckgo.jpg

9. fchowd0311

I mean America would be much better off if people made better health decisions

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Buy a big ass truck, drive your big ass truck, even back in your big ass truck when parking and don’t feel guilty about it!

jiggyfly and Os Trigonum like this.
  11. fchowd0311

Who's a big boy

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So you're saying we shouldn't judge people by on lifestyle but you're judging them on aesthetics. Got it.

London'sBurning and fchowd0311 like this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

People don't. I didn't agree with Bloomberg's ban but I agree with the idea that people shouldn't be drinking Big Gulp's as that much soda does have negative public health consequences.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I guess it bears repeating that "freedom" doesn't exist without "responsibility". Too many look upon "freedom" as. "do whatever I want when I want without consequence." Or worse "Rub the people I don't agree with faces in what I do." In a truly free society there is a recognition of how our actions affect others.

In the case of things having things like pickup trucks and Big Gulps these are individual actions and I agree that banning them outright or even imposing much more stringent requirements will create many other problems that I think would be unworkable. That said decisions to own pickups and Big Gulps as individual actions have affects beyond individuals so under a free society while you may have the right to own a pickup and drink a Big Gulp along with that should be the responsibility of how that right is exercised.

Further in a free society there is nothing preventing criticizing individual actions that may be seen as irresponsible. To respond to some of the other posters trying to do a ham handed attempt to say this is criticism of lifestyle as though to claim that Liberals don't like to criticize people for lifestyle I will agree yes this is a criticism of actions that make up a lifestyle.

For example I don't think it's a good thing to criticize someone for leading a gay lifestyle but criticizing a gay person for having a lot of unprotected sex with multiple partners is irresponsible because there is a very potential public health consequence from that.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

You've actually stated a need for having a truck. You're using it for work to repair other vehicles.

Other posters have stated "wants" for a truck or for having it for aesthetics.

16. SuraGotMadHops

No, I'm saying people get to make lifestyle choices. Just like you get to make the lifestyle choice to drive a crossover because you like the functionality, people also get to make the lifestyle choice not to drive crossovers because they look stupid.

The way some of you are looking at truck drivers, folks who drive Smartcars can look at a 4 door compact sedan driver the same way. Only efficient, hyperenvironmental friendly vehicles are allowed! Look at the lavish, road damaging, 4 door Corolla over there!! Don't they see what that heavier car than mine is doing to the roads?? We live in a society!

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I will give you credit that yes if there is an intention behind an action that is a "reason". Not all reasons represent necessities.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

so you're putting words in peoples' mouths. again.

19. SuraGotMadHops

So...

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Ah so now people who drive other vehicles look stupid but of course you're not judging them.

jiggyfly likes this.