1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Passage] It’s Time To Ban The Sale Of Pickup Trucks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jul 17, 2021.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

But you don't really need a F-250 super duty to do that. I say that as a person that would drive a F-250 if it didn't cost like 90K like my bud's truck. :eek:

jiggyfly and fchowd0311 like this.
  2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This is pretty silly, I own a truck and it's a 3rd vehicle but it's saved me and others multiple times when I have to use it as a parts/work truck to fix someone else's/my other vehicles. It's a truck that I should easily get another 150k miles out of (how about that - a vehicle that's going to hit 350k miles not end up in a landfill/junk yard pile of cars that don't last...) and not only hold it's value at this point but last like 30+ years. There's multiple arguments and if you think it's just emissions that are impacting the environment - this whole right to repair trash being discussed lately/already happening is going to do wonders.

Also, I am not saying that smaller cars don't last - but I don't think I'm using a Civic to pick up/transport bigger/dirty reused parts either.

Are there some drivers that probably could drive a smaller vehicle? Sure... But for me - I prefer being self reliant as much as possible.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Can you fix/mod my cars? One is a truck the other probably does 9mpg and will be outlawed by Governor Musk in 2099.

4. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Do you start threads in the hope that they are ignored?

Or the old tried and true comment of you have no dog in the fights of the threads that you start. It's just a consistent pattern I've noticed is all. You get called out, actually engage with thoughtful replies or you deflect with the LOL WHO CARES?!?!?

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if they're good threads, discussion will follow

London'sBurning likes this.
  6. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Agreed.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

there's also a difference between debate and argument, and also between discussion and argument

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, sure, we can convert it to electric!

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I've had a F-150 for over a decade. When I was a homeowner, I used the bed frequently for projects. I also owned a pop-up camper that went out often. Currently I'm a renter and I no longer have a camper so it really only gets used to haul my golf clubs and, yes, groceries. Though, I'll be a homeowner again soon and I'll also need to have enough space for 3 teenagers to sit in relative comfort. My current truck is getting close to the end of it's useful life and I really love having a truck. I do not agree with a ban but I would fully understand a tax if the manufacturers can't get these up to the emissions and gas standards they should be at.

JumpMan, rockbox, jiggyfly and 2 others like this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Boating is Popular.
    There are a total of 17 million recreational boats—13 million registered plus 4 million unregistered—currently in use in the United States. One in ten U.S. households owns a boat.

And not all of those people tow boats so what he said was accurate.

Trucks have 50% of the US market share, you do the numbers.

London'sBurning and Nook like this.
  11. rockbox

Don't tax the vehicle, tax the gas. Get the price of gas above 4 bucks nationally and you will see less trucks on the road. It's really that simple.

JumpMan likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The idea seems sound at face value but it's still a regressive tax in that the poor and middle class are effected more by the tax than the wealthy.

13. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I think small four door trucks like the new Hyundai Santa Cruz or the Ford Maverick makes a ton of sense for city dwellers that want a 'truck'. The Ford Maverick can seat 4 comfortably and can get 37mpg combined city and highway with its hybrid engine. The bed is short at 4.5', but it's enough for most home depot trips, especially if you learn to tie down long lumber correctly with the bed down.

I think small trucks would satisfy the vast majority of people that don't need a truck for work.

jiggyfly and London'sBurning like this.
  14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

And the ability for lower income people to get to work decrease as well. A gas tax is not the answer, IMO.

15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

that was a 2000 F-150. and way back I had a 1986 Toyota pickup. My 3500 cost me $41k minus the $17k they gave me on the trade-in of the 2006 Cummins 2500. Maybe people here would like to make the argument that folks shouldn't be spending $90k on a truck--but then they'd have to apply that logic to people spending $500k on a piece of Hunter Biden artwork. ;)

the point is that @rocketsjudoka made a statement that "most people don't have reasons to drive a truck" which as a matter of logic is simply untrue. If they're driving a truck, there must be a reason for them driving the truck--they borrowed it, they're renting it from U-Haul, they're moving their best friend's furniture. And if people BUY a truck, then presumably 100% of those purchasers have at least one "reason" why they are choosing to spend their money that way and going through the process of applying for a loan or paying straight out cash for a truck. Even if they simply just "want one." Why do people buy tickets to Rockets games? why do people buy video games? why do people buy computers or smartphones?

If folks want to steer the market via taxes, regulations etc to discourage truck purchases, that's fine. Knock yourselves out. That's pretty much what happened to the diesel truck market once EGR and DEF regulations went into effect around 2007. The idea of banning trucks is a stupid idea.

JumpMan likes this.
  16. rockbox

I was just can making a point about how big trucks have gotten and who buys them. I know several people who own newer F250s. Lets just say they are more hat than cattle.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

His statement was accurate, I gave you the numbers.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Are you ignoring the entire culture of brodozers?

19. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

There are more trucks on the roads than there need to be, that's for sure. The increase in truck sales is evidence for that. Do you think society needs a truck more than it did 20 years ago?

There's a cultural shift. Suburban dads think they need a truck when they'll maybe tow or haul once a year. Moms think they need a truck built like a tank in case they're hit by a truck when it's a family hauler.

Not sure what solution there is to discourage those unnecessary trucks. Taxing across the board hurts blue collar/labor workers more, who are the ones that'll primarily need a truck. Maybe there is a broad tax but it's credited for certain for work sectors.

20. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I'm guessing there's a Texas bias to this conversation as well. Perhaps there are too many pickup trucks in Texas. Or at least the perception that there are too many pickup trucks in Texas. Speaking from experience, when one is shopping for a used pickup truck on eBay Motors, most of the used pickup trucks are from Texas.