1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Passage] It’s Time To Ban The Sale Of Pickup Trucks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jul 17, 2021.

1. SuraGotMadHops

Sorry you feel that way.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If you had nothing productive to say in defense of your child like outlook on individual rights, then might as well not say anything.

3. SuraGotMadHops

Ok, I'll take the bait. Sorry you are too child-minded to see that these issues are best solved by technology, and tech has already began to catch up to address emissions: Ford has developed an electric truck (remember the one your boy Biden pretended to drive?), and other makes will develop those as well. Tesla has a truck coming out soon. etc.

Of course, most lefty's like to think of the dumbest solution possible, first.

Also, you made false assumptions. Not all trucks are lifted. My truck is not lifted, I have a standard lift truck. It will hold up much better if I am caught in high water than an entry level compact car....good luck with that.

Sorry I also don't buy your overly kumbaya approach to things. Over dramatic "doesnt a person with asthma deserve the right to breathe??!!!!!" Get a grip, you realize pickup trucks are considered "light trucks" in the auto industry right?

I will never apologize for driving a truck because I want to. Lefty's need to get over the "everyone is selfish" attitude and live and let live.

JumpMan likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

This just proves you don't actually read what others type.

I literally said I don't believe in banning trucks.

My point is more in regards to your last sentence which shows a child like attitude towards individual rights. You believe all choices are made in a vacuum with no effect to society at large. That is a child like approach to seeing the world. It ignores the fact that....

We live in a society.

Your last sentence in the previous post implied that true freedom is having no restrictions on what can be sold and manufactured. Hence why I brought up the asthma example. Your logic dictates that individual rights cannot be violated when someone makes or sells something regardless of context. I'm saying that THAT specific mindset is child like because ignores effects that certain production methods can have and how they can actually truly harm the individual rights of let's say an asthmatic individual not having asthma attacks by merely being outside.

You know very little about the auto industry if you think the industry on its own accord decided over time to increase fuel efficiency standards and convert to an entire different method to power vehicles.

All these companies are massive publicly traded companies. That means all their interests are fueled by stock investments and those investments are short term investments. That means they only care about the next quarterly reports.

So there is little to no incentive factor for these companies to transition from ICE when they perfected the economy of scales of that technology. These companies go along the path of least resistance which means if they had a choice, they would forever depend on the system of manufacturing they have perfected with the most efficiency because that is the most profitable.

Yes, the government imposing emissions regulations and providing a mandate for a cap on total emissions for each company's entire fleet are forcing these companies to adjust and consider investing heavily in electric.

#24 fchowd0311, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  5. SuraGotMadHops

This is why I originally said sorry you feel that way. It is silly to me that there are people out there that actually judge others for driving trucks like they harm society and are selfish people. It's just a truck.

6. fchowd0311

I would say someone who drives a lifted truck that weights 6000 lbs while never offroading and hardly ever hailing crap and just use it as a show of expression are usually dick heads from my experience. And no I'm not referring to you if you think that is a attack on you. I'm just providing context of a situation where I think someone might be an ******* if they drove something in particular in a particular context.

But that is totally irrelevant to the actual point I'm making that you just ignore.

7. fchowd0311

There are so many factors when judging impact on society. For example, heavier vehicles damage roads quicker. The damage a vehicle causes is roughly proportional to the axle load raised to the fourth power, so doubling the weight an axle carries actually causes 16 times as much damage. A typical full-sized truck like a f-250 (6500 lbs) is in average twice the weight of your average car (3300 lbs). So that means a f-250 causes 16 times more damage than a typical Corolla or Civic.

That means people with massive trucks are more responsible for the pot holes and road imperfections that tax payers have to pay to repair. So should people with those vehicles not pay some additional tax or should they be freeloaders damaging roads at a higher rate but not contributing more in repairs to the increased damage they create with their vehicles?

Individual freedom means individual responsibility...right? or do you just want it one way...

Like a child?

#27 fchowd0311, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  8. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I don't mind people that own trucks. I own a Tacoma myself. I just take issue with people with clean trucks that only use them to carry groceries. If you have zero functional reason for owning a truck bed and don't even use the damn thing to transport debris/materials for things like landscaping even and never even volunteer your truck to help a friend move their furniture to a new lease apartment then what do you actually use it for beyond that of a status symbol? It's like soccer moms back in the day that used to own a Ford Excursion despite raising an only child or not even that; A tiny little floofy dog. At some point flaunting your possessions is just a societally acceptable equivalent way of dropping your ATM receipt that shows your wealth in front of the hot woman you're trying to pick up out in public. It'll draw in the gold diggers and status seekers. But that's about all it'll appeal to.

9. SuraGotMadHops

Sounds like profiling. Shame on you.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You're making my point for me. If you have a reason to drive a truck then that is fine. Most people don't have reasons to drive a truck and do so out of cultural and style reasons.

Nook and fchowd0311 like this.
  11. fchowd0311

Are you willing to pay an increased tax and not be a freeloader due to the increased damage you do to public roads?

Or does that violate your child like perception on FrEdOms?

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Exactly. I drive an all wheel drive crossover because I live a cold climate with snow and icy roads. I could get a much larger vehicle that also has all wheel drive but I have no need to. Leaving aside environmental damage a larger vehicle is harder to store, more expensive to maintain and insure.

If that's what you want to spend your money on you can do that and I'm not proposing a ban. I am saying that it's about culture and not about practicality or even personal benefit.

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's a pretty big generalization

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Only about 13% of the US is employed in blue collar jobs and even there many of those people don't need pickup trucks for work. A pickup bed can't legally be used to transport people unless you have it covered isn't a good place to be carrying things like groceries.

I don't think it's much of a generalization to say that most people don't need pickup trucks.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. SuraGotMadHops

Based on what? Your "to the fourth power" smoke you're blowing around?

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

you didn't say reasons "for work," you said reasons. I don''t need my truck to be a college professor, but it would be hard to haul the camper and a boat without a truck

IMG_1203.jpeg

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

and messy to throw a deer in the back of a Prius

100_3416.JPG.jpeg

18. fchowd0311

What did that poor deer do to you?;)

London'sBurning and Os Trigonum like this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Are you claiming you represent most Americans? That would be questionable inductive logic.

Anyway I can haul the boat in your pic with my crossover. Again though things like boats and campers are also cultural items and not items of need, not saying those things should be banned either just pointing out those are lifestyle.

For that matter only about 10% of Americans own a boat and even less own a camper.

As stated for the situations that most Americans would need the cargo capacity and hauling capability of a pickup truck you can rent. In 2017 I rented one for to haul a fully loaded 6 x 12 trailer. It was certainly cheaper for the week than if I had bought the pickup and kept it year round.

Nook and jiggyfly like this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

you said "most people" . . . that means more than 50 percent of the people. I called your statement a generalization. If you have evidence somehow that 51 percent of truck owners "don't have reasons" for owning a truck, bring it on