1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Overrating the Mavs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by The Cat, Aug 4, 2001.

1. Shandon Anversen

The Cat,

maybe i missed this post from you or something, so i apologize if i'm making you repeat yourself.

nonetheless, explain how the lakers got worse???

who did they lose?

tyronn lue?
    greg foster?
    ho grant?

they got

mitch richmond
    samaki walker
    lindsey hunter

hunter's better than lue. lue wasn't even a reg. season factor.
    samaki's AT LEAST the same, if not better than ho grant.
    greg foster wasn't even a factor.
    mitch richmond is the equal to steve smith and didn't have to replace NE1. he was an ADDITION to LA.

how did they get worse?

2. Shandon Anversen

:confused:
    :eek:
    :rolleyes:

tee hee. you're funny. when did i say they were horrible?

and when did i become a kid? my first name isn't Cisco and my last name isn't Garnett or Capri, so i don't know who you're referring to, buster.

i wish i could go back to being a kid. i didn't have to deal with the ignorance and arrogance of "spur fan".

thanks, you grizzled, old, fount of wisdom and wizardry. how oh how can i be like you?

:confused:

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Who would of thought? cat thinks the spurs got better and the lakers got worse.... wow that was a shocker

Who would have thought? DC and verse think something the Spurs do is wrong :rolleyes:

Verse,

Ho Grant was a disappointment at times in the year, but imho, he had the capability of stepping up big in big games, and he did so several times in the playoffs and late in the season. He had his jumper going, could rebound, defend, and be a pretty good all around player. By no means was he consistent all year long, but he did offer that vet experience and he knew when to elevate his game. In several playoff games he was a HUGE addition. He stepped up in most of the pressure situations.

Imho, Samaki Walker is Kelvin Cato part 2. Lazy, no work ethic... I think he is a downgrade from Grant. Richmond helps, but I just don't see him doing that much for them. He'll come in for 15 minutes or so a game and stretch the defense, but I still don't like his potential contributions enough to move Grant for Walker and Richmond if I had the choice. Lindsey Hunter and Tyra Lue are essentially a wash.

4. Shandon Anversen

hold on The Cat, i'm confused on what you're saying.

you say the lakers got worse, because they essentially swapped ho grant for samaki walker and mitch richmond?? :confused:

you wouldn't have done that??? :confused:

i'll agree about lindsey and lue being a wash.

but, you're saying that for 15 minutes mitch will come in a stretch the defense, but that won't be that big of a deal??? :confused:

i'm not trying to be sarcastic, so don't read it that way. i just don't see what you're saying.

would you agree that mitch richmond is the same impact of player as steve smith? i would. but steve smith is an "impact" player on his team, but mitch's 15 minutes of contributions don't matter?

5. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Well they were a much better team last season in the playoffs, without Anderson.

Smith didn't do well in Portland, but he is used to getting more playing time and room to work. He will get more of it in San Antone.

Smith is still a very solid answer at the two, even with the Blazers he collected 14 ppg, 3 rpg, and 2.6 apg.

Bowen is a solid contributor, was big after the departure of Mashburn in Miami. 8 Points, 2 boards, 2 assists.

And can defend pretty much any swingman in the league.

If everything goes as I expect, off the bench the Spurs will have Parker, Daniels, Rose, Elliott, Ferry, Jackson, and Mark Bryant.

I don't know how much cap space they have left, but they could pick something of worth up still

It doesn't look impressive, but it has been getting it done for a couple years now, and won a championship just two seasons ago.

Just watch.

6. Band Geek Mobster

Cat,
    The guy that stepped up for the Lakers in pressure situations at the PF spot wasn't Horace Grant, it was Robert Horry. Horry was the one that gave Duncan fits and Horry was the one that stuck the dagger in the hearts of the sixers on multiple occasions.

Horace Grant wasn't even around for crunchtime, it was Robert Horry time...