1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Overrating the Mavs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by The Cat, Aug 4, 2001.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

This seems to be happening far too often on all the predictions I see. What do you guys see in this team that will make them so dominant on the floor next year? Many have even had them as the 2nd seed.

The Mavs were a solid team last year. They won the 5th seed and got 53 wins. Then they knocked off an aging and tired Jazz team in the first round before being utterly demolished by the Spurs. They were physically just manhandled by SA on the inside without Derek Anderson in the lineup for the Spurs. I included that because I knew ZRB would be responding with something about Anderson having heart and Smith not having it, even though that idea is simply ridiculous. Go look up DA and Smith's playoff numbers-- you'll see what I mean. Players with heart step it up in the playoffs. Smith does. DA didn't, at least not to this point. And, the Spurs added Steve Smith and Bruce Bowen and lost basically nothing from that team that embarrassed the Mavs.

What have the Mavs done? They've add CBA type Adrian Griffin and Danny Manning, and lost Calvin Booth, a young center many thought was promising. Wang is probably going back to China. They hardly have anyone capable of playing the center spot besides Bradley, and of course Dirk when they go small. I always hear the argument that the Mavs will improve from within. It's possible. But look at it objectively. Dirk Nowitzki is the only one who will likely experience much growth, and even he won't improve that much. He averaged 22 and 10 last year, and developed a good post game to go with his touch from the outside. How much more do you expect him to improve? He'll get better, but I seriously doubt he improves by leaps and bounds the way he did the last two years, and they'd need him to get to the level of Tim Duncan for them to have a chance at the 2nd seed, imho.

Look at the rest of the team's core. Michael Finley is a great player, but he is in his prime right now. What you see is what you get. He'll be the same consistent and great player that he always has been, but there isn't any logical reason to believe that this year he elevates his game to Vince Carter or Kobe Bryant status. Juwan Howard is a solid player, but the same applies to him as it does to Finley. Steve Nash is even a bigger question mark. He can be in the same group with Finley and Howard, but in addition to that remember he has had injury problems his entire career. He finally had a breakthrough year last year. Good for him. But there isn't potential there, imho, for him to be a great PG, and looking at his career numbers, there is a decent chance that he doesn't make it through another season relatively healthy again.

I like the Mavs-- they are fun to watch. And I love this team's future. They have an owner who is willing to do anything for the team-- money or otherwise-- and give them a year or so and they can lure all the necessary components of a championship team to Dallas. But I just don't see them there now, and I think you guys are letting Cuban's wallet and the hype cloud your vision. The Spurs absolutely dominated the Mavs, on both ends of the floor, without Derek Anderson. The series never was close. The Spurs have added Steve Smith and Bruce Bowen to that team that dominated the Mavs. The Mavs have swapped Calvin Booth for Adrian Griffin and Danny Manning.

And no, experience was not the only gap in that Spurs and Mavs series. Even though I wanted the Mavs to win after the Juwan Howard BS ejection, it was obvious who was the better team on the floor, and having a year's playoff experience isn't going to magically turn the tables for them. Playoff experience is nice, but it doesn't make the difference between physical domination /20 point losses and wins. The Mavs are a nice team, and I'll cheer for them a lot. But they do not have what it takes to pass the Kings or Spurs in the standings, IMO. The future is awesome, but the present won't be quite to that level until they add one or two more pieces. I honestly would not be surprised if the Rockets grabbed the 5th seed next year, and the Mavs got the 6th. It's not a definite, but I think the Rockets and Mavs will have similar records all season long, and I don't think the Mavs are an unattainable target in the Midwest.

2. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

The Cat,

you raise some very interesting points. The Mavericks are absolutely sad at the center position. Shawn Bradley...yeah, the guy's 7-6, but he shouldn't be a starter IMO. Then Calvin Booth's gone (not that he's anything special. Wang Zhi Zhi is not going to make a huge impact. Then the power forward position-Juwan Howard=big contract, inconsistant play. He can dominate...but most of the time he doen't do anything but nab a few boards. Nowitzki is there best player, and, if he suffers an injury of any kind, the Mavs could go on a looooong losing streak. Mike Finley is good, but your right. He probably won't top this year. And don't even get me started on that dirty little mophead. I do not like Steve Nash at all. Not his style of play (he had a confrontation with Moochie) or his hair. He overall just sickens me. People on ESPN and the Mavs bulletin board were rating him above Franchise. Above Steve Francis! I couldn't believe it. I, of course argued and pointed out a certain career-high 36 points. Oh well. Enough of my babbling. I agree 100% that people are severely overrating the Mavericks.

3. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

A part of me wants to agree with you, but losing Booth wasn't as big a loss as some may think, since he only was on the team for half the season and played spot minutes.

Almost every player on their roster is a smart basketball player, an while I want to agree with you that they won't improve that much, the Utah Jazz always come to mind, wrecking that theory.

Something about Dallas makes me think they could just get better over time, like the Jazz did, since none of them really rely on athleticism sans maybe Finley, and just developing a freakishly strong chemistry on the court could put them over the top.

It's hard to tell, but I agree with you that they shouldn't be considered an upper echelon team just yet.

4. AJ22

AJ22 Member

I agree with everything you say The Cat, & lets also remember that one season (after years of losing) does not make a championship team. Contender? Yes.

However, lets give Dallas sport fan a little slack, their Rangers & Cowboys have sucked, so all their hopes rest with the Mavs.:)

5. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Wasn't the consensus on this board last year that Dallas wouldn't even make the playoffs? Not that I'm questioning the impartiality of Houstonites when it comes to Dallas... :)

Dallas has one weakness and it is at C. They have a lot of talent everywhere else and are very deep. Does that mean they'll be one of the top 2-3 teams in the West? Maybe, maybe not, but it's definitely not out of the question. They will make the playoffs and they will almost certainly have homecourt in the playoffs. Beyond that, that's why they play the games.

6. haven

haven Member

I don't think the Mavs are in the same class as Sacramento or LA, but they might be better than San Antonio this year.

I do think Nowitski might improve substantially again. He's all of what... 22? 23?
    Bruce Bowen and Steve Smith. Yay!

Derek Anderson's more talented and younger than Smith. Bruce Bowen shot 37% this year from the FIELD. That's horrible to the point that not even his defense matters in more than spot minutes.

Drobb is aging. He's going to decline further, and Duncan's going to lose some of the protection Robinson provides.

Utah, of course, should regress further. Malone finally showed signs of losing his premier status last year, and Stockton wasn't even all-star quality. Marshall and Russell are good... but... they can't carry a team.

I don't think anyone has improved enough from below to rival the Mavs, so that leaves them at #3.

7. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

Excellent post.

8. Bookit

Bookit Member

Ok, lurking Mavs fan here. I might have to agree with you about the Mavs chances this year. The Booth thing stings for sure because he was one of the guys who was going to really improve this year. However, that being said, the Mavs will likely have a quick start because the club hasn't changed that much. This is stealing a page from the hated Jazz. The Mavs chemistry early in the year will likely be better than teams who have to adjust to their new players. Also, as long as Dirk and Finley stay healthy the Mavs should finish with 55 wins imo. Now, for you Nash bashers. Please try to watch some Mavs games before you criticize Nash. He isn't as good as Steve Francis but he is a better than average point guard who can knock down 50% of his shots, hit 90% from the foul line, and keeps everybody involved all the time. I don't think the fourth seed is out of the question for the Mavs if they don't have any disasterous injuries.

9. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

The Mavs lost to the Spurs because of lack of playoff experience, and because they forgot how to shoot for most of the series. I don't see that happening. The Spurs are simply a soft, heartless, joke of a team. They won't make it past the first round.

10. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I don't see the mavs falling that much. Booth was a scrub. Manning should MORE than fill his role. Mavs were a centerless team last year and they did pretty good. I don't see why that would change. And as good as Dirk is now, I think he can get better. Same with Nash.

11. The Cat

The Spurs are simply a soft, heartless, joke of a team. They won't make it past the first round.

Care to make a little wager on that? I'll bet almost anything you want that the Spurs make it past the first round. :) I just hope you're still around here when the Spurs are in the Finals next June.

and because they forgot how to shoot for most of the series

Ever heard of defense?

I don't see the mavs falling that much.

I don't either. But I don't think they've done what it takes to win a 2 seed.

12. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Sorry Cat, I'm not a betting man.

How do you expect the Spurs to beat the Lakers? Witchcraft?

Your love of Tim Duncan is hurting your judgement. He is a great player, surrounded by old, soft wimps.

13. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Steve Smith is a terrible defensive player. Bowen is an awful offensive player. They can't be on the court at the same time. The Mavs are a young and up and coming team. Having Howard for a full season will only make the Mavs a better team.

I don't know what you see in the Spurs other than Duncan. They are old and are trying to patch a team together around Duncan. Sure they will make the playoffs, but they won't go far,as Duncan can't do it alone (see last year)

14. The Cat

How do you expect the Spurs to beat the Lakers? Witchcraft?

Because they're a better team. The Lakers chemistry came together at just the right time last year, and everyone co-existed beautifully. Much the same happened when the Rockets went on their run in 1995 for the 2nd championship. Were we the same team in 1996?

Steve Smith is a terrible defensive player.

Not really. And in a zone defense, you can definitely protect that. Let me guess, against the Lakers, is Rick Fox going to take him off the dribble? For all the complaints on Steve's defense, I sure didn't notice it last year.

Bowen is an awful offensive player.

Mark my words: Bruce Bowen will shoot over 40% from the three point line this season, much like Danny Ferry this year. Bowen had to take some tough shots in Miami, but he definitely can shoot the ball. He will connect on many more of his attempts in San Antonio due to the constant double teams Duncan and Robinson draw.

They can't be on the court at the same time.

Why not? Bowen is as good of a one on one defender as anyone on the perimeter, and Smith can still score a lot when you let him be the featured swingman on offense. Bowen will also make his open looks, should anyone double Smith.

I don't know what you see in the Spurs other than Duncan. They are old and are trying to patch a team together around Duncan. Sure they will make the playoffs, but they won't go far,as Duncan can't do it alone (see last year)

How is this any different than 1999? That team was old, and was patched around Duncan, and they didn't have a true go to guy besides Duncan. And they dominated the entire league in the playoffs.

15. tozai

tozai Member

The Mavs are a fun and exciting team to watch (Clippers, Mavs, Kings) are right behind the Rocks as my favorites. I agree with what Haven and The Cat said, and there is NO way they will be #2, more like 4 or 5 or even 6. The Spurs WILL NOT go to the NBA Finals next year. What do you want to bet??? How about your credibility when we look back next year? Everything that The Cat said made sense other than the Spurs are better than the Lakers???
    DFish vs Who??
    Lakers
    Kobe vs Steve Smith
    Kobe
    Rick Fox vs Ferry
    Even
    Who? vs Duncan
    Duncan
    Shaq vs DRob
    Shaq

Plus with the new additions to the Lakers, they will be better than last season, while I think the Spurs will do worse. There is little doubt in my mind that the Lakers will be #1 and Kings #2, I even think the Blazers might be #3(dont laugh, its possible)

16. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I am a Houstonian thank you very much. ;)

And I definitely wasn't saying Nash is a bad point guard, I just stated

1. Steve Francis is out of his league

2. I don't like his style of play (he can be dirty)

3. I don't like his hair.

Other than that, he's an effective shooter.

17. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

How is it possible for the Lakers to be #1 seed and the Kings #2 seed? :confused: Anyways, barring some sort of miracle, such as Shaq or Kobe going down, I don't see anyone beating the Lakers this season. However, Sacramento and Dallas are two teams that, when healthy, could give them a decent run for their money. What the Mavs need to do is dump Eisley, and try to hold on to Booth (assuming that is still possible). In a zone defense, shot blocking centers like Bradley and Booth should be more valuable, I'd imagine.

I still think putting the Mavs at #2 seed is a little unlikely, but considering they really only have to beat out the Spurs to get that seed, I'm not sure it's impossible. If Nash goes down for any given period of time, so will the Mavs chances of home court advantage, though. I watched basically every Mavs game last season, and they were absolutely atrocious whenever Nash was out with an injury. They were out of synch offensively and didn't have good distribution of the ball. The Rockets are fortunate in that regard, because if Francis happened to go down (knock on wood), we'd have a super backup in Moochie who can move it around. I agree that the Mavs are a little overrated though..

18. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

OK...time for me to put in my 2 cents worth (it may not even be worth that!).

The Mavs last year were the most intelligent team in the league, getting maximum production from a perimeter oriented group. They moved the ball with precision and knew how to make that one extra pass. Their weakness was, and still is, interior defense and rebounding. How do you justify playing 7'6" Shawn Bradley 15 feet from the basket? Juwan Howard strengthened their inside scoring and rebounding and was a good pickup...but Cuban overpaid for him @ 10-12 million/yr.

STEVE NASH IS FOR REAL. He is fearless, can break down defenses at will, and is a terrific passer and shooter. He was pretty beat up by playoff time and that hurt them...altho there was no way they were going to beat SA. Finley is a true All Star and would be even better if he didn't have to play so many minutes; I think he was #1 or 2 in the leagues in minutes played. Nowitzki is a budding superstar and great fun to watch. His stroke is like Larry Bird's-he is a pure shooter , and has learned how to take it to the rack. How many 7 footers can do that?

Give this team a hard nosed center who can rebound and play defense and the sky is the limit (that could also be said for the Rox and lots of teams). Calvin Booth was a good pickup and really made a difference down the stretch. He gave them what Bradley can and could not; he will be missed and Danny Manning is not the answer.

19. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

The Mavericks are an up-and-coming team, and they are much better than the Spurs at 3 of the 5 starting spots. But there's no way that they are better than the San Antonio. The Spurs proved that on the court last season, and neither team to me has gotten appreciably better this offseason. Still, I'd say that Dallas will narrow the gap, because its young stars will be approaching their peak while San Antonio's older veterans are slowly headed in the opposite direction.

At the same time, how can anyone claim that the Spurs are better than the Lakers? Again, the Lakers completely dominated the Spurs last year. They were clearly better. And I think LA's made some significant moves to help themselves this summer, adding Hunter, Richmond, and Walker. There's no reason Mitch (who averaged 18 a game last season) can't give them the 3rd option they need on offense, and Lindsey is a solid fill-in for Fisher until he gets healthy.

20. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Hobbs is right...I believe even you Cat were claiming no way the mavs even made the playoffs as an eight seed. That they were not good enough to do anything. I dont know 53 wins, is alot to me. Knocking off the Jazz is something Barkley, Drexler, and Hakeem couldnt do, just what 2 or 3 years prior. Dont give me its that the Jazz were older last year. Let me remind you that it was Hakeem, Barkley, and Drexler. Maybe Im wrong, but I think you were one of the very wrong ones last year. I believe I said that they would be good, and you claimed no way "same ol mavs". You tell me if my memory is failing me on this.

Ill give you this to chew on. You must not believe that the rox are going anywhere either. They didnt make the playoffs last year. They lost their best defenders (ahem only defenders if SA leaves too) in Shandon and Hakeem. What moves have the Rox made other than picking up a 19 year old rookie, and downgrading at the center and bench position? You probably believe that the young players will continue to develope and grow, and make the team better. Then there is your answer. The mavs have some good young talent in Dirk, Finley (two all stars, are two more than the Rox had last year.) Juwon is fitting in well there. And Steve Nash figured out how to play point guard last year. If your going to argue the Rox are going to be better based on young players picking up their game, then the same can be said for the Mavs. Only difference is that the Mavs are starting out as a playoff team.