1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Okafor, McGee, Bogut, Kaman or Pau

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kjayp, Mar 11, 2012.

?

Whats the best deal? See first entry before voting.

1. Okafor + minnie first rd pick

72 vote(s)
    26.2%
  2. McGee + Blatche

21 vote(s)
    7.6%
  3. Bogut + SJax

97 vote(s)
    35.3%
  4. Kamen

21 vote(s)
    7.6%
  5. Pau

64 vote(s)
    23.3%
  1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

1. Okafor + (2012) New Orleans 1st Round Pick without protection: That's about the best deal on the table. 3 picks in the top 15, possibly (#1-#6, #11-#17, and #13-#14).

2. McGee (w/o) Blatche: If we can net McGee, without giving up few pivotal players, it's a good deal. While, we have to find another team to take on Blatche.

3. Okafor + (2012) New Orleans via Minnesota Timberwolves 1st Round Pick without protection: Not quite as good as the first one, still 3 picks in the top 15, possibly (3 picks in between #10-#18, possibly)

4. Pau Gasol: I guess it will be an ok deal. Not one that elevates us as much posters think, but will certainly keep us in the playoff picture. Though, I do not think most deals are serious in anyway.

5. Chris Kamen: Probably will be a very minor deal, which economically sound and if he can a productive player, then it may be a worthy deal.

6. Okafor + any of the (2012) picks New Orleans's original pick or New Orleans's other pick (acquired from Minnesota) with protection: The deal turns more lackluster and more questionable.

7. Andrew Bogut and Stephen Jackson: No reason to make this deal

8. McGee and Blatche (no intermediate team for Blatche): Turrible, "Charles Barkley with a facepalm.

A #3 pick is the most valuable with Gasol following. I

2. joesr

joesr Member

I like them all except Bogut and Jackson

But instead of McGee, I would take Jan Vesley instead.

I think it would be awesome to do two of the trades. Okafer and Pau. You get another pick which could both be used to get a lower pick. You have a solid solid 3 man rotation front court.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't want any of those guys at any price.

4. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

:) I really like the Okafor idea. We can grab him and the pick for thabeet, hill, williams, flynn, bud, that would be great. If we don't make the playoffs (i'm NOT hoping that) we might have 3 first round picks.

New York Pick (10-15)
    could draft maybe Jeremy Lamb, Meyers Leonard, Quincy Miller at this spot?

Our Pick (only if we miss playoffs could be 12-14)
    Meyers Leonard, Quincy Miller, Terrence Ross

Minny Pick (probably 11-16)

any of the above

That means we could have 3 of the following: Jeremy Lamb, Terrence Ross, Meyers Leonard, Quincy Miller, Terrence Jones, Bradley Beal, Austin Rivers, Tyler Zeller

:) Pretty good to me!

5. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Deandre Jordan?

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

At this point
    I think we ready to take PICKS over Players.
    I don't think we getting the BIG Star

Rocket River

7. VBG

VBG Member

Watching todays game, Pau is really invisible. Basically doing what Scola does.

8. Big Time Titan

Amen.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Expirings to N.O. Okafor to Atlanta. JSmoove and the lottery pick to H-Town.

10. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Agreed. Okafor, when healthy, would be an upgrade over Dalembert and would make this team a playoff team, albeit not a contender. With the Minny pick, we would have 1 fairly high and 1 mediocre draft pick (NYK), allowing us to "rebuild" and contend at virtually the same time. Also, if Houston finds a way to not make the playoffs (fingers crossed) we could have a third pick in the draft. Doubt Morey would use all 3, but we'd have so much leverage it would be ridiculous.

Get rid of the dead weight for Okafor and the pick.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Just finished watching the Laker Celtic game. Give me a PF like Gasol who closes out fast on 2 perimeter players on defense. He's smart, long and knows how to play his role when the team needs D.

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Sam Amico @SamAmicoFSO

Cavs will stay in touch w/Hornets however. Hornets said to still be entertaining offers for either of 2 first rounders to dump Okafor deal

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.thedreamshake.com/2012/3/11/2862578/nba-trade-rumors-hornets-willing-to-deal-lottery-pick

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-must-do-before-the-march-15th-trade-deadline
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You also have to remember this team is very likely to be up for sale in the near future.

13. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

If it is top lottery 3 pick, we have a shot at either Drummond (if he comes out), Davis, Barnes, Lamb, or Robinson.

The other pick (Minnesota's original pick), along with our possible picks (our own and New York's). We could add 2 to 3 players among this group.

Jared Sullinger
    Michael Kidd-Gilcrest
    Bradley Beal
    Austin Rivers
    Arnett Moultrie
    Meyers Leonard
    Perry Jones
    Tyler Zeller
    Damian Lillard
    Kendall Marshall
    John Henson
    Terrence Jones
    Terrence Ross
    Fab Melo
    Moe Harkless
    Tony Mitchell

Another unseen aspect, we could use our picks to acquire an all-star player, before the deadline or at end of the season.

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

It's laughable that Gasol is even listed with those other guys. You will not find a better combination of offense and defense in the NBA today from a 7 footer. He would make the Rockets one of the best defensive teams in the league. If you keep Lowry and Martin, that's a damn good team. Even losing Martin makes it a top 5 team in the West. But LA would never want Martin anyway.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm thinking if Les is trying to contend over the next several years(which he almost assuredly is), Bogut is the best option. It's a classic case of buying low...... on a top 3 center (who is a defensive monster). As to his injuries ..it's been mentioned already, they're the type that aren't chronic and the latest (broken ankle)won't hinder him when he comes back. Plus, we most likely end up in the lottery, getting our pick back. And we load up the Bucks, helping them take down that dysfunctional family, otherwise known as... the Knicks...making our pick go lotto. Jackson and his contract could be spun off to another team if this goes 3 way. Either way he becomes a 10 mil expiring next year. Our Rockets end up with Bogut, 2 lotto picks (use each, move up, or trade for an established player) and room for much MORE. Remember, one of the keys here is that we wouldn't be giving up much relative to the haul.

Getting the pick from NO is tempting, but we'd have to take back Okafur and his 12 mill. Again, assuming Les is going for it now, Emeka would need to be paired with a quality big man.
    Caveman's expiring could be a useful tool to wipe the books and then there's Eric Gordon.
    NO certainly still holds possibilities.
    At the end of the day though, I really want to rebuild, so those picks sound like a delicious fall back position if they can't be moved for a big cheese.

Most of the other moves (including Gasol) would IMO leave us SHORT after giving up what we'd have to.(in capspace and talent)

#55 Plowman, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  16. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

If Bogut was available just for K-Mart + junk + eating a bad 2 year contract, I'd have the papers drawn up for that before I even got off the phone with Milwaukee.

All of these would be nice if that was the real price (except McGee, don't care to solve the Wizards' idiot problems for them).

17. stefanb

stefanb Member

I don't know why people are so high on Okafor. We don't need a 6'9-6'10 center that's 29 years old and has an injury history. Forget Okafor. Pau would be a franchise changer but he's getting old. Bogut is 27 which isn't old. He would be a good trade piece.

We just have to be patient and wait for someone in the draft or a good deal. I know we need to make some changes but I'm not expecting a star player anytime soon. It's an uncertain future for the Rockets and the anticipation is kicking all of our asses. We're stuck in limbo but patience is a virtue and the time will eventually come when we have a star player or two to make Rockets basketball exciting again.

18. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

My guess is that we end up with Pau + another big (Bogut, Emeka) so we can have the "twin towers" Morey tried to get with Pau+Nene.

Lowry
    Lee
    Parsons
    Pau
    Another Big (Emeka, Bogut, etc)

decent starting 5 right there.

19. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

It's not necessarily Okafor, but it's possible 1st round picks that might be at stake. Minnesota's former pick, or New Orleans's 1st this year (or either next year, if lost in translation). He comes with tacked on prize, top 10 draft pick.

He's nowhere as good as Gasol, but when becomes Okafor combined 2-3 draft picks in the top 15-18 players that might come as high as #8 - #13 (with T-Wolves' former pick, now in the position of New Orleans) or a top 6 pick either this year or very likely next year (I doubt New Orleans is competitive). You grab one to three players who could have an abundant of potential and be on the roster for the next 4 to 5 years.

Honestly, I do not think Gasol is as available as people want to think.

20. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

please just give us pau or kaman i can't watch hill play C