1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans offseason thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 4, 2010.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

That moniker is the kiss of death.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

It's really looking like Earl is gonna be long gone before we pick. Shame because I think he'd be a perfect fit for us. I also think Cody will be gone before we get to pick in the 2nd. I honestly wouldn't be that upset if we picked up Cody in the 1st, he's a HUGE body and was a key to the #1 defense last season.

Gotta disagree about Mays though. He's a SS all the way and we already have Pollard back though. He's Roy Williams 2.0 IMO.

3. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Okoye has actually been the exact opposite of the player he was in college. This year he actually stood up very good against the run, but was unable to rush the passer. According to McClain, take it for what it's worth, the Texans are looking for a DT more in the Price mold than someone like Cody. They want someone to provide an inside pass rush, not clog the middle.

4. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I really like Taylor Mays. He has been a starter at USC since his true freshman season. Dude is a physical specimen with a great combination of size, speed and athleticism. I know people are saying that he is bad in coverage but he reminds of Kenny Phillips. I would take him at 21 if Earl Thomas is gone. I think his upside and potential impact on defense is too much to past up on at 21.

5. Tiger23

Tiger23 Member

in his 1st mock draft mel kiper has us selecting DT Brian Price with the 20th pick.. im tired of failed 1st round Dlineman in the 1st round but I youtubed him and he seems jus like the DT we been trying to select, hes really impressive, hes quicker than Okoye and is way bigger and stronger its insane I wouldnt be mad if they picked him

6. Tiger23

Tiger23 Member

no he takes TERRIBLE tackling angles and he gambles WAY too much out there in the open field and hes ALWAYS looking for the big hit with his shoulder tackling, he never wraps up.. hes being compared to roy williams becuz he gets the occassional big hit but his cover skills are horrible.. this time last year he was considered a top 10 pick for this years draft but he was exposed this past season and his draft stock has dropped tremendously.. and besides hes a SS not a FS and last time i checked our roster we have a great SS in Benard Pollard so that is a emphatic NO on Taylor Mays.. now if we drafted Earl Thomas from UT he would fit like a glove, hes a TRUE FS with incredible ball hawking skills

7. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Don' act like Roy Williams was some major in the NFL. Sure he has his deficiencies but he is 5 time Pro Bowler and made the All-Pro team in 2003.

8. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

But Roy Williams's strengths are that of Bernard Pollard. People dont want Mays because he's more of a Strong Safety, its not good to have 2 Strong Safety's back there that both excel in the same areas and have the same weaknesses

9. gucci888

The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest, it's a nice accomplishment but it doesn't always reflect accomplishments on the field. Roy Williams was a very good tackler who could dish out HUGE hits, however, he was always a liability in coverage. I know this is just one game, but getting burned deep has always been an issue for him. But as far as Mays, I like him as a SS, but we seem to have our SS in Pollard, we really need a ballhawking FS.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IKCvtoFqWOQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IKCvtoFqWOQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

10. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

This is the Ball-Hawking FS we need, Earl Thomas. Going to Tech, and being from Big12 country I watched almost every UT game and you constantly kept hearing this guys name game in and game out. The guy epitomizes the word play maker

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IRrjr5HG_ck"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IRrjr5HG_ck" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

by the way, ProDraftParty has got some great videos of the upcoming prospects on youtube. Highly recommended if you want to watch some tape of these guys

11. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Is Pollard a FS or a SS? I cannot see anybody play a lot better for us than Pollard did this season.

I would much rather pick a big, nasty DT or a CB in the 1st round.

12. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Pollard is def. a SS...He is so much like Roy Williams, the former Cowboys Pro Bowler, but imo played better than Roy Williams ever did...

I would be excited to get E.T. !

13. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I am not a big fan of drafting running backs in the first 2 rounds. I think between Steve Slaton, Arian Foster, and Jeremiah Johnson you have three solid running backs. I still think you need one more strong powerful back and there will guys in the late rounds that could be good NFL running backs. Some guys who come to mind are Anthony Dixon, LeGarrette Blount, Ben Tate, Keiland Williams, Keith Toston, and Andre Anderson. All are expected to go anywhere from the 3rd round to Undrafted.

14. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Jahvid Best has crazy skills, he would be hard to pass up in the first.
    Still, I'd take Thomas over Best.

15. gucci888

Agreed. I'm hoping that Slaton just went through a sophomore slump. Fumbling was a HUGE problem obviously but I think a lot of the lack of production can be attributed to losing both OG early in the season. Foster also looked pretty good at the end of the season and has potential of being our power back. I'd be okay with going into next season with a Slaton/Foster combo but I think we can afford to spend a mid or late round pick on a RB.

16. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I like Best but I don't know how much better he is going better than Slaton. Slaton was great his rookie season and was a disappointment this past year. I still think he is going be a big contributor to this team in the future. Thomas would the ideal pick but I think he will gone by the time the Texans pick.

17. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I agree. I don't understand why so many people have completely given up on Slaton. He wasn’t good this year but he still was a major threat in the receiving game. The fact they lost Chester Pitts was a huge blow to the running game. Some people on the radio were saying the Texans should sign Thomas Jones or Chester Taylor. I like both players but they are both are over 30 years old and we all know what happens to running backs at that age.

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i'd say HELL no to Thomas Jones. i really don't think he's that good. #'s inflated by a great line and a good system.. plus the mileage

But yeah, I still think Slaton will come back strong. I do like Chester Taylor, and he could last considering he's never had a full workload in his career

19. RocketMania1991

Texans should sign Brett Favre.

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Texans should sign Jim Brown. Dude is a wrecking ball.