1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Reggie Bush or Someone else -- Vince Young out of running

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Member

I don't care about the combine too much, but if he didn't work out for the Texans that would be dissappointing.

Bush and VY don't need to showcase themsleves to all teams, but they should workout for the top 3 or so.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Member

VY will probably do more at UT-Pro Day. Top pick guys usually don't do a whole lot at the combine, especially QBs. Pro Days give players the chance to showcase what they have on their own field w/ familiar players and coaches.

3. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Member

I wouldn't be surpised if he skipped this too, as with Bush and ML at SC's pro day. Bush or VY (and probably ML) only need showcase their stuff to select group of teams where an individual interview and closed door workout (assuming this is allowed) is done.

4. swilkins

swilkins Member

I agree. Why should he waste his time, when teams will want to try him out anyway?

5. gucci888

gucci888 Member

I read somewhere (can't find it now) that VY will probably workout at UT-pro day, he just decided to skip the combine.

Never heard of closed door workouts. Don't agree with only showcasing your stuff for select teams since there are a bunch of teams that would/could trade up for you.

The best place for the top guys to work out is at pro day. They've worked out there the past 3-4 years, they know the turf/track, and QBs get to throw to their own receivers.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i wonder if this is about the longest thread in the history of clutchcity/fans. net

im guessing the official Tmac/Francis trade would be right up there as well.

anyone know??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

:D

7. Realjad

Realjad Member

Alot of people are saying Vince Youngs comments about "Wanting to player in Houston soooooo bad" was made so he would be the #1 pick and rake in the most money just got OWNED tonight

Vince Young was asked by Charles Barkley

"Vince, where do you want to go? Houston, NO, or Tenn"

Vince replied

"I would love to go to Houston~ it's my hometown and I want to play for them, if not I'd like to go to Tenn"

Whats that say? It says he genuily(spelling) was sincere(spelling) with those comments about how BAD he wanted to represent Houston, it wasn't about money. If it were, he would want to be payed #2 pick money(NO) instead of Tenn pick money

Vinceowned!!!!!!!!!!

8. Da Man

Da Man Member
    Supporting Member

I think we need to frame the argument about Vince wanting to play in Houston a couple of other ways. If Houston had the 24th pick in the 1st round, instead of the 1st, would he want to play here instead of New Orleans or Tennessee?. If he was a free agent, would he take a real hometown discount to play here? With all things being equal, Vince would play in Houston over any other city all day, every day. But that doesn't show real desire to play here moreso than any other athlete's desire to play in the hometown.

A real desire to play in your hometown is Roger Clemens taking 5 million dollars to play here in 2004 when his true market value is north of 12 million. Even though in 1998, Roger wasn't so agreeable about taking a hometown discount. I think Craig Biggio took a real hometown discount in 1993. He could have take the Cards contract with was 20% higher, but he decided to stay in Houston. He was just starting to hit his prime too, so that says a lot of about his desire to stay here.

Even Hakeem Olajuwon would have never taken a hometown discount to play in Houston. It's not a crime to say it. Hakeem would never have pulled a Barkley, where Barkley played the 1999 season for only 1 million dollar to sign Scottie Pippen. I promise you Hakeem would have never done the same. It doesn't mean he is not my favorite Rocket of all time, because he is. It's just not something he would do.

But it's really hard to say how much more Vince really loves to play for his hometown in comparison to every other athlete who would love to play for their hometown.

9. gr8-1

gr8-1 Member

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2006/02/i_have_opinions.html

You're not going to believe this, but I'm hearing the Texans are seriously thinking of draft Vince Young and keeping David Carr.

The source of this inner-office said the thinking would be to let Carr play and perhaps get his trade value higher.

This would be the worst of all possible decisions. Take Reggie. Take Vince. But if you take Vince, don't subject to David Carr to what would come after that.

10. swilkins

swilkins Member

That damn Justice has printed my feedback again. :mad: I only said that it was possible, but unlikely.

11. Realjad

Realjad Member

Yes and we all don't know. What we do know is what he has expressed and he has expressed he would rather be the #1 or #3 instead of #2 with valid arguements to why he would want #1 or #3 over to, with non of those arguements being a concern about money. So thats what we have to base everything off of, off of REALITY, you can't play the oh what if the Texans were the 24th pick blah blah blah game. Didn't Clemens take an inflated deal to go the the Blue Jays when he could have came to the Astros since they were in the race or somthin? Does that not effect that Clemens still wanted to represent Houston bad and later on took that discount. IDK

What I do know is reality and not the what if questions and reality states that Vince would rather go to tenn and get paid less money then NO... I honestly believe if Houston was #24 pick and Tenn was #10 pick that Vince wouldn't have came out this year and would have continued through college one more year~ and thats not a real "what if" since he has kind of hinted at that a few times.

12. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

If Vince really wanted to represent Houston he should refuse to play for Tennessee. That's just me though.

13. swilkins

swilkins Member

VY and SM are friends. I don't see that happening anyway.

14. gr8-1

gr8-1 Member

Well, if Houston was gonna tell him no, why should Vince tell Tennessee no? The enemy of my enemy is my........

15. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Member

Really makes no sense from VY's perspective. The Texans are who he wants to play for AND they have the #1 pick. He can't really increase his leverage with the Texans by saying he won't play for X, Y, Z, the Texans have all the leverage in the world with the #1 pick. If VY doesn't go to the Texans I don't think it will be that big a deal, I don't see him saying hell no to the Saints just
    to go to a distant back-up choice where his mentor plays.

It would be different if the Texans picked 2nd or 3rd, than he could put the team (say NO) with the #1 pick in a pickel.

I want VY to play for the Texans, and least want him to play for the Titans (get drafted by Tenn). If not the Texans, I'd rather see him as a NO/LA Saint, or NY Jet even. If the Titans get him and he blows up (like he probably will) that would be awefull for the Texans in all sorts of ways (division rival, former hometown team, a-hole owner, etc).

16. Realjad

Realjad Member

That's real smart, what an easy way to show the world how spoiled you are that professional football isn't up to your lvl and you must get what you want/play where you want or you just wont play.

I belive right after Vince said he wanted to play in Houston but 2nd choice he said Tenn.. afterwords he said "Man I just want to play football" meaning he is just thankful to be going to the NFL.

17. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Member

Is this the biggest thread ever?

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure it is the biggest non-rockets game related thread ever, both ini replies and views.

19. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Member

I think that McGrady thread was pretty crazy

20. gucci888

gucci888 Member

From the Chron:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.