1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Reggie Bush or Someone else -- Vince Young out of running

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I am tired of seeing 15 new threads a day saying the same thing. This is the official thread to discuss the titles matter. All others started after this time will be deleted.

2. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

GREAT IDEA, Thanks Castor.

3. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Young- Build for a Championship

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

VY is supposed to be on 610 at about 9.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Vince Young will touch the ball all 70 offensive playes, Reggie will get it around 20.

Carr has had a chance to prove himself, and he has proven he is an average QB.

Bring in Vince.....he is a winner, and a freakish athlete at a position that has VERY few real athletic player, thus creating a major advantage against defenses in the NFL.

DD

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Here's a new thought. Pull a Mike Ditka and trade Carr plus every single pick in this draft (except the first rounder, of course) to the Saints and draft Young AND Bush. Then, grab a cheap RB and QB from the free agent market to take all the punishment next season. After a 1-15 season, then the Texans could draft Adrian Peterson and trade Bush for a bunch of picks, making up for some of the picks lost in this draft...

7. DaDakota

Great idea, and Casserly would be fired to boot....

Well done A-train !

DD

8. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

I was all for Bush, but that was before Young came out.

Take VY, he's the hometown boy. Like somebody mentioned in another thread, it's like us taking Hakeem back in 84, it will revive us.

9. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

VY will be a big mistake.

My first opinion is to make a trade if a good deal makes itself available, otherwise take Reggie

10. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Bush is the safe bet and he gives us IMMEDIATE help next year. As far as I am concerned he would be the biggest asset to help turn around the team next year. It would give David another weapon out of the backfield.

Casserly has already pledged his allegiance to David Carr. IMO the Texans brass will choose Reggie Bush.

Damn we are too spoiled....

11. DaDakota

Which is a ringing endorsement for Young.

:D

12. MadMax

I really don't think it will play out this way. I don't think what Casserly says at this point matters at all. I think McNair will take control of this pick...and go with VY.

13. DaDakota

That is how I see it too, he will smell the dollar signs and view either player as a risk, but he wants to have the stadium full, and that is the most important thing....

DD

14. rhester

I disagree for this reason-

I think D. Reeves has big influence right now and I don't think McNair would over-rule Reeves and Casserly (Casserly maybe, but not both)

In the final analysis VY is a risk. One I feel we must take because he is so special and the potential is so great.

Reeves looks back at the Vick pick and has to have doubts. The verdict is out on that pick and there has been plenty of debate on it nationally.
    Casserly really believes Carr can be very good. fine.

I think Reeves and Casserly are firmly looking to get a blockbuster trade or take Bush.

Bush is a short term fix for the offense. Under good coaching he can be productive, maybe great. Carr can be better with a good O-line and good offensive scheming to his strengths and weaknesses. So Bush is a safe pick.

What is sad is WHO we are passing up- VY will be great in the NFL- my opinion.

I would not pass up that kind of player.

Look at it this way if Bush becomes Barry Sanders and Young becomes Montana who is the better pick.

I like to frame the decision this way- If both Bush and Young have the same impact in the pros they did in college (if the potential translates) who would you draft?

15. MadMax

the answer to your question is exactly why i think McNair steps in and takes Young. he's not a meddlesome owner...but he hired Reeves to advise HIM on what to do in football-related matters...which is a subtraction of power, by necessity, from casserly.

i think mcnair will see what an opportunity he has here...he doesn't live in a football bubble. he's hearing it now and it will continue to grow. he'll step in and take Young...and having an offseason where you're having a huge coaching transition, anyway, will facilitate that.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Reggie Bush and VY are both freaks of nature. They can do amazing things with the ball in thier hand. What VY has proven that RB hasn't is the ability to carry a team. RB has always had LenDale White to take the short yardage carries and to give him plenty of breathers. Granted, RB does go in as wideout, kick returner and punt returner. I'm just not sold on his ability to take the punishment of a 16 game regular season. Is the #1 pick worth a player that will touch the ball as little as Bush will?

Vince Young will energize the club and the city. It may take a couple of years before we see what a truly special player he is. In the meantime, I believe that he has more than enough skill, smarts, and his amazing will to win to carry the team. He is the born leader that I'm not sure David Carr will ever be. That alone is reason enough to me to select VY #1.

My other reason for VY is Gary Kubiak. The Broncos have never needed a top running back because of the system. We've already got Domanick Davis who is a 1,000 yd back with great hands. Heck, I bet Johnathan Wells could be a 1,000 yd back under Kubiak.

Draft Vince Young. It's a gamble that is worth taking.

17. rhester

OK- Max, my faith is strengthened! :)

18. DaDakota

Rhester....they are BOTH risks....

Is Vince Young the next John Elway, or the next Tim Couch?

Is Reggie Bush the next Barry Sanders or Curtis Ennis?

Neither one is a guaranteed player....both probably are, but no guarantees.

That is why I take the proven leader who will be involved in every offenseive snap over a player who has only been a situational player in college.

DD

19. rhester

I know 'it' when I see it.

Montana had it (I watched 'it' when he stuck a dagger in my heart in the Cotton Bowl)
    MJordan had it
    Tiger Woods has it

'it' is the ability to take incredible talent and elevate to a higher level at the 'moment of truth' and take control of the situation with poise and confidence. The ability and guts to take it on yourself and make the impact play.

few have 'it'- Vince has 'it'

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That's it right there. If they both live up to the hype and potential, which one helps a team win more? Barry Sanders is one of my all time favorite football players. I believe he is one of the top 3 RB's of all time. However, it wasn't enough for Detroit to be a contender. They were competitive for most of his career because of him, but never a contender. Donovan McNabb carried his team without a star RB or WR (before Owens) to the NFC Championship game 3 years in a row. The Texans already have an Owens type WR in AJ. They've got a 1,000 yd back in DD. I firmly believe that VY is the missing link, offensively (still need to rebuild the defense and get a serviceable O-Line).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.