1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Rangers @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 5, 2022.

1. Qan

Qan Member

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I believe in science when used properly. But it's for sale to politicians and Big Pharma now. Real Science is forbidden.

3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

You're such a loser.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Perhaps I am misunderstanding.

You wrote that.

I asked what sub optimal decisions he made in the WS.

You said you had no problems with those decisions.

That leaves 2 possibilities

1. You agree he was good in the 2021 World Series.

2. He was good because someone else was already making those sub optimal decisions and doing him from making those bad decisions.

If the answer is 2, do you really think that Click or someone else is calling down to the dugout when it's time for a pitching change?

marks0223 likes this.
  5. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Funny that the opioid crisis has fallen out of public concern yet it’s at its worst point in all history.

70K Americans die every year from opioid abuse, mostly young men who should be the future of the nation, but their deaths mean nothing compared to lining the pockets of big pharma and corrupt doctors.

Stephen66 and Marshall Bryant like this.
  6. bobrek

Create a baseball related thread in the D&D to argue about this crap.

Nook likes this.
  7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I was responding to questions. Why do you ALWAYS call one side out and ignore the other? Political Bias you believe to be non-political maybe? Why not scarface?

But you're point is well taken, even if only one point of view upsets you.

8. bobrek

Screenshot_20220909-092443_Firefox.jpg
    Nope... yours was the first post on the page that I saw.

ETA

Nook likes this.
  9. bobrek

10. Major

Major Member

So you're saying Hensley hasn't been as good as Siri and has had fewer starts. I don't see the problem here.

11. Nook

Nook Member

I know for a fact that Baker has less control of line ups in the playoffs, that was the case with Hinch as well.

Having said that, I don't think that Dusty Baker is racist. He wouldn't have lasted 60 years in a game where 95% of his bosses have been were white men if he were prejudiced against white or Hispanic ball players. There are very few men that have the people skills of Dusty Baker. The only person I have ever heard speak negative of Baker is Tony La Russa, and he even said that he and Baker like each other but they don't agree on how to manage.

Dusty Baker does have favorites, and many of them have been black, but not all of them. He tends to like grinders that can put the bat on the ball. It is well known that Myles Straw was the favorite of Dusty Baker and he is blonde haired white kid from an upper middle classed family in California. It is also an open secret that Dusty doesn't really like McCormick in center field. However that has nothing to do with race.

Dusty does like his veterans, but part of the reason that Gurriel is playing as often as he is, is because Baker knows the level of respect he has in the locker room and what he has accomplished with the team. The Astros are not a veteran team, and short of a major upgrade, he is going to roll with the guys that are good for chemistry.

Come playoff time the Astros will have their best players in the line up, just like last year and the year before that.

Dusty Baker was brought in to handle the press, to ensure the players don't go off course and keep the peace, and he has done that very well.

Also, I will say that he is one of the most charismatic people I have ever met in baseball. He is very comfortable with who he is, he also is nice to everyone and any prejudices he does have, he hides very well - he is also willing to learn socially from younger people.

Dusty Baker grew up in Sacramento, was the only black kid in his school..... he is married to a Filipino woman and speaks perfect Spanish. He has opened talked about giving effort to be all inclusive and to make sure everyone is comfortable.

12. HTown2017Champs

I get all that, but benching him means he's still on the team with the players in the dugout. Is him playing really THAT important for chemistry and the fact that he's so respected? As far as "what he has accomplished with the team," today's lineups aren't about yesteryear's performance, it's about what they have done lately.

13. Nook

Nook Member

I think if the Astros were not on a pace to win 103 games, it would be more of a concern and it isn't like anyone else has really stepped up to take at bats. They will let me make the day to day line ups and let him handle the players until it is a problem.

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Hmmm…what suboptimal decisions did he make the last 2 playoffs?

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Hensley and Diaz (and even JJ) haven’t been given much of a chance to earn more AB’s. Who knows what they might be with 100 or 200 AB’s?
    Every day Yuli plays is a day someone else doesn’t get to. There is no present in Yuli and certainly no future.

16. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

None. As I’ve said repeatedly.
    My strong suspicion is the reason you can say none he’s not allowed to fill out the lineup card in the playoffs. I’m concerned that in his walk year he will go rogue. I’m also concerned that we have yet to see our best lineup (the one that doesn’t have Yuli, Maldy, or Dubon in it) and we are running out of days to see it.
    Clearly Dusty calls the shots on lineups in the regular season- even calling them in while he had Covid. The FO has traded guys away specifically to keep him from playing guys they don’t want to. It’s maddening. If the lineups and pitching decisions are scripted in the playoffs cool, whatever.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Who fills out the lineup cards?

18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

During the regular season clearly Dusty.
    I suspect the FO nerd cave analysts dictate playoff lineups. That’s always been my guess because it’s so night and day different, and Nook has intimated that’s likely the case.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Hensley and Diaz and JJ are rookies. They just were not realistically going to get a lot of at bats. I have complained about them not getting at bats as well, but the reality is that they just were never going to. The players that could have pried Gurriel off first were Mancini or another veteran like Diaz before he was hurt.

xcrunner51, Wulaw Horn and Rock Block like this.
  20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

And the post I was responding to was right in my post. And That poster was responding to the popular Trust the Science when it has NOTHING to do with Science and is actually anti-science.