1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Rangers @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 5, 2022.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Altuve is like a comedian on the basepaths. He's always trying some sneaky ass sh_t and it doesn't work a lot of times. "'Why is he running there?' and 'What is Altuve doing?' are not unheard-of remarks". But, I guess it works some of the times. I'm not sure whether it comes out ahead or behind in the end? It probably all evens out. Even Steven. It has cost us runs. lol

2. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Reminded me a little of Carlos Hernandez debut 20 some years ago.

desihooper likes this.
  3. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

The way the game was going i don't know if we cab say the next batte up would have gotten a hit with runner on 3rd. I am all for taking chances. You are putting alot of pressure on the defense to be aware enough to look at home, make the right throw, catch the ball correctly and apply the tag. With all of that been done, it was still a close play.

4. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Yeah he was great for like 17 innings. Got everyone excited and then he was done.

5. Radricky

Radricky Member

I've got Hunter Brown fever

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Feel bad for the Ranger hitters as they are going to see a lot curveballs 2 days in a row.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Luckily he won't be in a position to run the bases, having it destroy his career.

everyday eddie, Tomstro and whag00 like this.
  8. Yordan The Great

I will now refer to the Toronto Blue Jays as the Sons of Anarchy.

Thank you and goodnight.

Drive home safe.

9. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Thats right! I remembered that he had an injury but totally forgot that it happened while he was running the bases. Yeah that sucked.

10. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

No doubt! Every time they show the comparison of his wind up to JV I get a little bit drunk. That said, those are unrealistic expectations. We can dream a little though. Truthfully, the movement on the fastball reminds me more than a little of Roy O. Can't wait to see his next start.

Radricky likes this.
  11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Yep. He slid into 2nd head first and destroyed his shoulder holding on to the bag as he was sliding by. Such a shame. Really seemed like he was going to be a good one.

Tomstro likes this.
  12. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I hope we re-sign Verlander, but if we don't, a starting 5/6 of:

Valdez, McCullers, Brown, Urquidy, Javier, and Garcia is pretty good/borderline awesome (League Top 3?). Not to mention we could always pick up another ace/#2 in free agency. I'm also counting on Javier getting better next season, as he's still on an upswing, and thus the Astros are in seriously good shape for 2023. This year has pretty much proven that a dominant pitching staff >>> a dominating offense all day long. One of the best records in history and our offense is above average hot/cold -- and we are still vying for first. Pretty sweet.

13. Yordan The Great

Yeah stop being so childish.

You can't this shyt up folks.

This board be getting hilarious at times.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If they have the inside track to JV, why would you pass that up?

You can never have too much pitching. Can’t guarantee those dollars would automatically be spent elsewhere nor can you force free agents to sign here or get younger guys to accept extensions.

JV should be re-signed regardless… and if he’s willing to mentor Hunter and help him become an ace, all the better.

Lock up JV, extend Framber, and let Hunter develop…. That by itself will extend the window even further, but add a dash of Javier/Urquiddy/Garcia, and it’s an embarrassment of riches.

15. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Agreed. I want them to resign Verlander, I'm just saying if they can't, we are still in a very strong position. But they should do everything they can to re-sign him. The rest of the players (except McCullers) are cheap so they should hopefully be able to extend for him.

Nick likes this.
  16. the shark

the shark Member

Don't forget, both Framber and Garcia had games in the playoffs last year where they wet the bed. Framber has been fantastic this year but the jury is still out on what kind of playoff pitcher he can be (consistently). Not expecting him to be getting into the 6th/7th innings every start but definitely not struggling to get through the 1st + 2nd. Same with Garcia and there's a good chance he isn't even a starter in the playoffs.

everyday eddie, ktex and CisBuds4U like this.
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

On the flip side, they both had playoff games where they were absolutely dominant.

They likely don’t get past Boston without them pitching absolute gems in games 5 and 6. Those starts rival any of the all time playoff starts by Astros starters (which for this era is Keuchel 2015 wild card game, Verlander game 2 2017 ALCS, Cole game 5 2019 ALDS)

crose likes this.
  18. ktex

ktex Member

Perfect time for Vasquez to DH and he puts JJ in the lineup. /facepalm

Radricky likes this.
  19. the shark

the shark Member

Did they each have ONE game in the playoffs where they pitched good last yr? Absolutely.

One game compared to FOUR games by each where they wet the bed.

Framber
    ALDS/gm 2
    4.1 IP
    4 runs

ALCS/gm 2
    2.2 IP
    3 runs
    6 hits
    3 walks

WS/gm 1
    2.0 IP
    FIVE runs

WS/gm 5
    2.2 IP
    FIVE runs

Garcia
    ALDS/gm 3
    2.2 IP
    FIVE runs

ALCS/gm 2
    1.0 IP
    FIVE runs

WS/gm 3
    3.2 IP
    1 run
    3 H
    4 walks

WS/gm 6
    2.2 IP
    3 runs

Like I said, the jury is still out on these two. As I also said, I don't expect either of them to go 6 or 7 innings or throw some gem (would any of us like to see it Absolutely).

What I don't want to see (as I mentioned) is them struggling to get through 2 IP and putting us in a HUGE hole because they gave up 3-5 runs and having to go to the pen earlier then you'd want which also gives the opposing hitters more looks at our bullpen arms as the series goes deeper.

They don't have to be dominant. Just keep us in the game and get through 5 IP. Anything beyond that is a HUGE blessing.

Based upon what we've seen from each of them in the playoffs there's absolutely just cause to be concerned. I understand the past doesn't equal the future, and hopefully the experience will help them this yr. Until then the jury is still out on both of them.

everyday eddie likes this.
  20. CinematicFusion

Does a team carry 26 players on the playoff roster?
    Astros go with 13 pitchers will it look like this? Seems like a really deep roster.

Verlander
    Framber
    McCullers
    Eurquidy

Javier
    Garcia
    Brown (assuming he’s all that and a bag of chips)

Pressly
    Abreu
    Stanek
    Montero
    Maton
    Nerris