1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Doc Rivers to Clippers for Future 1st Rounder

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jvu, Jun 24, 2013.

1. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I don't know. Can you link that NBA tweet? I'm just replying to your wording. In CBA terms, this season ends next week. I imagine the NBA would make official announcements in their own legal language.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

They've made it clear to the teams. They won't release a public release. Those quotes by the way are in the earlier Doc thread here:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=240113

3. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

ahh, i see the tweet you are probably talking about. it says "this summer" (as opposed to this season).

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Chris Paul wanting only black coaches...?? Looks like I found a new team to root against. Stupid clippers

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Did you mean disciple? wow.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>League source tells Jackie MacMullan NBA has OK'd Doc Rivers deal. Still not clear whether Celtics will hold press conference today.</p>&mdash; ESPNBoston (@ESPNBoston) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNBoston/statuses/349247028963983361">June 24, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

The league( Stern) wants Dwight to team up with CP3, i cant just feel it

8. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

**CAN

9. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Isn't this just a rumor. Chris Paul is so nice that he wants the guys that killed his grandfather (raised him) to be set free. But you think he doesn't want to play for a white coach? Uh O.K.

10. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Doc rivers signing with the clippers is not about his ability to coach vs hollins, Scott, or shaw...its about Donald sterlings commitment to spend whatever it takes. I mean, the coaches salary doesn't hit the cap anyway so who cares if he spends the money or not. Cp3 was likely gonna re sign with clippers anyway, but this pretty much locks it in. Additionally, doc rivers is quite popular and respected by many nba stars so his presence will give clippers a good in for building a super team. I'm sure Howard is bugging his agent about the possibilities, but I doubt clippers would give up a marketable Blake griffin for a hated trouble maker like Howard...even if he's more experienced.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

-Edit-

#31 J.R., Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  12. ln3012

ln3012 Member

Clippers gave up what will likely end up being a 20-30 pick in the draft for Doc Rivers and to make their franchise player, Chris Paul, happy enough that there is almost zero chance he leaves now.

This is a win-win for both teams.

13. Drawkwa22

Drawkwa22 Member

doc to clips = paul resigns. . .

does this mean a howard trade from lakers for griffin/bledsoe becomes more plausible?

how does this effect the rockets chance of getting dwight?

14. cw3k

cw3k Member

I don't understand what fans here are thinking. Howard want to go to a team that a championship contender, not playoff contender.

A championship contender means 2 thing: 1) elite players, 2) elite coach. Assume Rockets get both CP3 and Howard to team up with Harden, that is just half of the quality for a championship contender. The Rocket has McHale and he is nowhere near elite coach. It is questionable that he is a good coach.

15. yakitori

yakitori Contributing Member

Articles over at ESPN and SI have stated that Chris Paul was one of the main guys pushing for this deal. He wants to play for Rivers (and yes... it was reported that he wants to play for a black coach) ... According to those same articles, the Clippers are positive the Rivers signing guarantees Paul will resign... Dwight/CP teamup in Houston is highly unlikely to happen now.

16. slestack11

slestack11 Member

For Houston to get CP3 and Dwight Howard without giving up James Harden, they'd need the Lakers to sign and trade for a package that included Lin and Asik. I'm pretty sure the Lakers would rather have the 2014 cap space than have Lin and Asik eating into their cap space. So it was always a highly unlikely situation to begin with.

17. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Dwight has to be signed and traded to the Clippers...and if you fools think that the LAL front office, mgmt and owner is willing to trade arguably the best big man in the game to the in city rivals...you all are fools...CP3 is just going to find out the hard way, that it isnt Coach Rivers but the players that buy into his system. He had Pierce, Garnett, and Allen all sacrifice a lot to win their 2008 title. But the issue isnt that Rivers isnt a good Coach...it is that Clippers arent going anywhere with their current cast. Teams that will deal with the Clippers will want Bledsoe bc he is such a valuable piece. Right now their best bet is trying to get some one like a Cousins(add Salmons as dead weight) or so for DeAndre, and Bledsoe and picks...

Cousins, Griffin, Paul, Butler/or Crawford, and Barnes

18. slestack11

slestack11 Member

If the Lakers can get Blake Griffin and Eric Bledsoe, I think they would be making out like bandits. Blake Griffin is 4 or 5 years younger than Dwight Howard and they both pretty much have the same strengths and issues. Super athletic and limited basketball skills. Being that Griffin has youth on his side, the thought is that he'd be able to gain some basketball skills where-as Dwight is pretty much "what you see is what you get plus back and shoulder injuries". I doubt the Clippers would go for that in the end...especially if CP3 signs and throws away his leverage to push for such a trade.

The Clippers should really go after Al Jefferson if possible. I'm pretty sure he won't be returning to Utah, but maybe they can convince the Jazz to take DeAndre Jordan in a sign-and-trade deal. With CP3, Jamal Crawford, Blake Griffin, and Al Jefferson as their core, they can build the rest of the team around prospects and veterans chasing rings (like Paul Pierce). And maybe Adam Silver will forget David Sterns stance about Garnett never joining the Clippers. Garnett should sue the NBA for such ridiculous league decisions.

19. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

was spoles an elite coach before lebron arrived?

20. tzou88

tzou88 Member

If the Clippers seriously offered Blake and Bledsoe for Howard, you guys seriously think Lakers won't pull the trigger? Especially considering the chance Howard walks for nothing?