1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official Astros @ Tigers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 12, 2022.

1. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Yes but his power and overall effectiveness at the plate has seen an big uptick the last week or so. So, as most of us know its not fully healed, it looked as if there had been significant improvement based on his performance. This is shitty news.

Stephen66 likes this.
  2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

SO... how upset are people going to be when the Astros send Brown down on Friday since Verlander is coming back?

Tomstro likes this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I won't be the slightest bit upset, confused though. If they just wanted to replace Verlander's spot in the rotation as the 6th starter they could have done that without calling up their top prospect. Bielak would have been more than qualified to just eat a few starts with our huge playoff cushion.

4. Major

Major Member

From Sept 4th:

“Our hope and expectation is that these things are behind us and we’ll see the Yordan Alvarez from earlier this year,” general manager James Click said on the team’s radio broadcast before Sunday’s game.

5. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

It's not a lock that Brown goes down. I need to check how many times Martinez has been optioned. New CBA says only 5 times in a season or you become a free agent. I think Martinez is at 4 times. Not 100% sure though.

6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I can’t fathom why you’d send Brown down when Martinez is still on the roster. Can’t believe that’s the plan.

everyday eddie likes this.
  7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

August 28th...

Asked to clarify whether Alvarez’s right hand has improved, Baker said, “You keep asking this question. I keep telling you that when you hurt something, baseball is a daily game. You really don't have time to heal 100 percent until the wintertime.”

Also, the quote from Sept 4th isn't clear whether Click is talking about his struggles or the injury.

"Alvarez, and perhaps the entire Astros’ fanbase, spent all of Sunday searching for encouraging signs. Alvarez’s hands have become a hot topic for a team with a thin offense. He’s already acknowledged hand pain had impacted him during an awful August, one where he struck four extra-base hits and saw his American League MVP candidacy crater.

“That’s the point we’re trying to get back to: to right before my hand started bothering me and I wasn’t thinking about it too much mentally,” Alvarez said on Sunday through an interpreter. “That’s what we’re working toward and trying to get back (to).”

Neither Alvarez nor the Astros will disclose the severity or specificity of the ailment — or even which hand it is affecting. Alvarez’s right hand caused him to miss time earlier this season. Last month, manager Dusty Baker mentioned his left hand as an issue. Alvarez contradicted him during an interview last week, but declined to reveal anything further.

The ambiguity is nothing new for an Astros organization renowned for it. It allows for speculation and conjecture to run rampant. That the team didn’t place Alvarez on the injured list during this five-day absence perhaps signals some hope the injury is not severe. Alvarez’s numbers and offensive output suggest otherwise.

“Our hope and expectation is that these things are behind us and we’ll see the Yordan Alvarez from earlier this year,” general manager James Click said on the team’s radio broadcast before Sunday’s game.

The four at-bats that followed inspired only some hope for Click’s optimism. Alvarez grounded into an unassisted double play during the first and struck out during the second against Angels starter Tucker Davidson. He worked a walk against the southpaw in the fifth, a plate appearance during which he did not swing."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...sider-Yordan-Alvarez-hand-injury-17419448.php

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

It depends how many times Martinez has been optioned. If it is 5 then sending him down again makes him a free agent....

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He started out the season in the minors. After being called up the first time, he was optioned 3 more times. Not sure if the first one counts.

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

There's three weeks left in the regular season. Somebody tell Dusty.

11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The first month or so of the season will not count against options this year because of the shortened Spring Training. It's a little unclear whether options which don't count was extended the same time as the 13 pitcher limit deadline was extended or not. I would think so.

12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Hensley has played every infield position except Catcher as well as OF in the minors.

13. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

Gratuitous shots of Maldys hair.

14. RussE

RussE Member

Every time Chaz gets 2 strikes I think strikeout.

everyday eddie likes this.
  15. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Was that Jean Michelle Jarre

16. bobrek

You don't think they are making the playoffs?

Tomstro likes this.
  17. RussE

RussE Member

Javier dotting that corner. Sit down.

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I think so. I know it was a French guy and a laser show.

19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If we include the playoffs, then I guess Dusty doesn't expect to make it past the ALDS.

20. bobrek

He clearly thinks they are making it farther than you do. Of course he included the post season and just threw out six weeks instead of 7 or so. Fix your spreadsheet to include all of October.