1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now it's a PROBLEM?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, Nov 13, 2022.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

That should tell you I dont pay attention to some....I'm asking YOU

2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

There are the numbers:
    KPJ 17.9 TO%
    Harden 15.6 TO%

This means that for every 100 possessions KPJ uses, he turns the ball over on 17.9 of them. For every 100 possessions harden used, he turned it over 15.6 times. In other words, harden turned the ball over 2.3 times LESS per 100 possessions then KPJ.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

And that's playing with LeBron and AD, but somehow you think who KPJ is playing with is the same thing?

Context my guy.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok and this is supposed to say what?

KPJ is turning the ball over 2 more times a game than Harden and that's supposed to say what?

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Are we adjusting for usage? Given how Harden had history breaking usage that kind of contextualizes it a bit more.

Not saying “Its a problem” or whatever because any point guard on this team currently is going to have a lot of turnovers. However it’s at least worth keeping that in context so we don’t excuse KPJ as someone who actually is solid with the rock and that stat comparison proves it.

As mentioned in the other thread though, his inability to break down the defense and finish is a more problematic development. The floaters and mid range shots added to his game are helpful though. Still doesn’t suck in the defense in the way a truly effective pick and roll does though.

Maybe we acquire and Capela type and KPJ improves greatly in terms of finishing AND turnovers. Who knows.. but all this is to say we have 99 problems and KPJ’s turnovers are only 1. We still have 98 more even if KPJ turns into Steve Nash overnight.

The question of whether or not KPJ is turnover prone is interesting but unfair to compare him to Harden either pro KPJ or Anti.

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

It’s supposed to inform the OP that the premise he based starting this thread on was inaccurate.

And again you, like the OP, aren’t understanding the difference between per game numbers and rate numbers. The difference isn’t 2.3 turnovers per game it’s 2.3 turnovers per 100 possessions. Harden had the ball a lot more than KPJ currently does on a per game basis. So Harden’s turnovers per game were routinely higher than KPJs turnovers per game, but Harden’s turnover rate was actually lower.

7. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

OP said harden turned it over more then kpj. The numbers show that is incorrect, that’s what it was showing

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, you are correct per 100 possessions KPJ turns it over more than Harden. As I have always said Harden is a special talent and he's been playing SG/PG since Highschool. So he has more of an understanding of the position.

I just want fans to know that KPJ has been playing the SF/SG position so he hasn't handled the ball as much and to give him time.

When he first came to the Rockets in the G-League and later joined the Rockets, he played well. Last yr he played well and again during the preseason.

Now that he's struggling fans immediately turn on him. Personally, I think he's paying too.much attention to social media and what's being said about him.

I just think we need to be mindful and know that this is his 2nd yr of playing the PG position.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I am not on the KPJ hate train, and I’m willing to let the experiment continue through the season. But he doesn’t look the part so far. I’m not talking about turnovers. I’m talking about running the floor and facilitating for teammates. I’ve seen really no sign of that. Add in the turnovers and the average defense, and I can understand why folks want to move on. Again I think he’s a 2 guard playing out of position. He has the talent to be an allstar 2-guard. Why not let him play to his strengths? I’ve never understood trying to force him into the point guard role.

10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

You're 100% right, he is a SG that is playing out of position. Right now, I think he is going through the maturation period. It's like you're playing WR in the NFL, then all of a sudden they want you to play QB. You know the plays and know what to do but now comes the intricacies, the finer parts; Like feeding the hot hand, not penetrating too far into the paint, when the team need you to score and when they don't. All of that takes time.

There use to be a time, when players were drafted into the NBA and the NFL, analysts and scouts would say, it's going to take him 2-3 yrs before he catch on, now we want it RIGHT NOW!

That's why fans wonder time and time again, why players leave one team, go to another and succeed. You got to give them time to develop.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

why tf do we have the worst posters on cf's making the most worthless threads

[​IMG]