1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NFL Network] Texans sign Ahman Green

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rikesh316, Mar 4, 2007.

1. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

He ruptured his achilles tendon last year, so he may never be the same athlete again. For the right price, he's probably worth the risk though.

2. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

If David Carr is going to be our starter I'm not sure getting a good receiver is a priority.

Why waste the pick? :D

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This is what I was replying to...

Maybe I misunderstood, but it looked like he was saying Green had never really done anything "spectacular." I was merely pointing out that he had one of the great seasons by a RB in this decade and was widely considered the best in the game for that period.

I'm not saying he IS going to put up those kind of numbers. I'm just saying that the guy is a very good RB and he has had some fantastic seasons. He maybe turning 30, but I don't believe he's done, yet. Neither did the Packers who wanted him back and the Broncos who were trying to sign him.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah, that's fair. sorry if i misinterpreted you.

i'm not on the side of those saying this isn't a good move. i think it is.

5. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

It does me no good to have high standards for this team because they are incapable of meeting them in their current incarnation. Unfortunately for the Texans, they are in a division where the bar has been set very high. IMO, this precludes them going about making incremental changes to the lineup (like the Green pickup) with the expectation of producing dramatic gains in their ability to compete. Yes, Green did all that several seasons in Green Bay but that in no way means that he'll be just as productive here especially given their numerous problems on offense. That he'll be better than what they trotted out there last season is a given. On this point we both can agree. But to assume that he will have such a dramatic impact on their overall competitiveness is taking a huge leap of faith that I am not prepared to make at this time. Hence, the skepticism on my part.

6. msn

msn Member

Then this is not a "lateral move at best". He's either better or he's not.

If everything else about the Texans roster stayed the same and Green gets 25 carries a game instead of Gado, Lundy, or Dayne, I'm with you--the improvement will not be dramatic (but there *will* be improvement).

That said, it's March. I'm guessing the Texans will have an opportunity or two to continue to address the "numerous problems on offense." They just addressed one of them, and damn well given cap constraints and what was available. FA season barely opened. The draft hasn't even happened yet. Let this thing develop; geez.

7. HillBoy

You make a good point here. Perhaps I should have used the term "recycled" instead of retread. A player like Randy Moss would be a retread while a player like Terrell Owens would be considered a r****d.

I watched a lot of Green Bay football over the past few years and while Green is indeed serviceable and durable, he in no way possesses the physical attributes I'd like to see at that position. For example, he has a fairly nice burst but lacks downfield speed. He's not a threat to break one all the way and I feel that the Texans desparately need that dimension in their offense. That 's why I mentioned McGahee because I like his physical skill set more at that position.

Well, he's definitely trying to force his way out of Buffalo but you are right on their need to conserve picks. We got just what we paid for: a decent RB with OK skills. He'll fix what was broken last season but as for being an impact player for them on offense, of that I must confess my dubiousness.

This type of comparison is dangerous and a bit misleading. Different offensive systems come into play here as does the fact that Green played behind a superior QB in GB compared to McGahee in Buffalo. I just like McGahee's physical tools plus the fact he's only been in the league since 2003. I feel that a back with his tools is a much better option than one with Green's age and skill set. That's not a slam at Green merely a personal preference on my part.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I watch a lot of Green Bay football too, and I've got to disagree here. One of the first phrases for me that comes to mind with Green is breakaway speed and how well he shifts it into a second gear when downfield.

9. HillBoy

And they still have the opportunity to look at some of the lesser known RBs from places like Rutgers who have played in zone-blocking offenses. They just don't have the resources for being much of a player in the FA season so little moves like this appear to be the norm. Whether that will be enough is up for conjecture at this point. I've explained my skepticism and the reasons for it in detail. I just want everyone who thinks that this is a great move to maintain some perspective if come fall, Green's impact falls short of their expectations.

10. HillBoy

Max & Leroy: I'm not saying that this is a bad move, merely an OK one. You two and others are far more optimistic about Green's potential impact here that I am and that's all I've been saying here.

#110 HillBoy, Mar 5, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I still think the Texans MUST pick a offensive player in the first round. Ginn Jr seems like a good pick-up now.

12. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

I'd rather take Robert Meachum in the second round.

13. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

There will be quality wrs in the second round, but Meachem is likely to be long gone by then.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Another moronic move by the Texans.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Since 2002, Green has 8 rushes that went for 60 yards +, including 1 for 98 yards in 2003. If you want more recent, he had a 70 yd run for a td against Miami just last season. You don't do that w/o breakaway speed. I heard him called one of the best open field runners in the game as recent as this morning on Sportscenter.

I understand your opinion. I just think this represents a significant upgrade for the running game...a real live threat out of the backfield. Teams didn't respect the Texans run game last season. This allowed them to drop both safeties taking away any chance of going deep. They won't have that luxury this season as long as he continues to be as damgerous out of the backfield as he has always been.

16. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Perhaps, but like you said there will be plenty of WR's in the draft.

17. Major

Major Member

How so?

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think this is a great move by them......they do need to get a younger RB in the draft, but a nice stop gap measure.

DD

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Too much money for a heavily used RB on the wrong side of 30 -- coming off a mediocre season and major injury the year prior.

20. Major

Major Member

1. He's barely 30.
    2. He averaged 4 YPC and over 1000 yards not even being the full-time back.
    3. We don't even know how much we're paying him at this point - all we know is $6.5 MM over 4 years - that's $1.6MM a year. That's too much? We have no idea what triggers the other money, whether it's roster bonuses in the 3rd or 4th years, etc.
    4. He hasn't been "heavily used". He's averaged 20 carries only once in his career. He had two other seasons (first two) where he barely played, and he showed no signs of slowing down last year.

The only real concern with him is small, nagging injuries, but he seems to play through them pretty well. He's about as reliable a back as you were going to find in free agency.