1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NFL Network] Texans sign Ahman Green

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rikesh316, Mar 4, 2007.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Just saw it on NFL Network.

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Ahman, not Ahmen.

In any event, great signing. I preferred him to Henry, whose numbers were inflated by the threat of Vince running the ball. Green still has excellent breakaway speed, and is a good receiver out of the backfield, something that's quite useful in this offense.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I guess this means you guys are passing on Adrian Peterson, then?

5. The Cat

First, the odds that Peterson falls to 8 are incredibly remote. It seems Cleveland's pretty set on him at 3. Second, Green is 30. Even though he's still in excellent shape and hasn't lost a step, logic tells you he only has two or three peak seasons left, max. So, if by some miracle Peterson falls to 8, you still take him and use him as part of a two-back system. Same situation in New Orleans with Deuce McAllister when they took Bush.

6. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

There's very little chance that he'll be there at #8, but if he's sitting there, I don't think a 30 year RB is going to keep us from drafting him.

7. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

8. The Cat

Before anyone unfamiliar with the salary cap says anything, all that matters in the NFL is guaranteed money. This is not a guaranteed deal for four years.

9. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

But the 6.5 is. Horrible signing of another Greenbay reject.

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I just say that because these mock drafts have Peterson all over the board. I know how well he did at the combines so logic tells you he likely won't fall that far but all I was saying was if he did would you still take him?

I'm not a Texans fan and was just curious....you seem to have answered my question for me.

11. The Cat

Green Bay reject? I'm not even sure what to say. Every free agent in the history of sports could technically be considered a reject of their previous team. Nate Clements was a reject too - does that make him a bad signing?

Green has rushed for 1,000 yards or more and 4.0 YPC or more in six of his past seven seasons, the only exception when he went down with a knee injury two years ago. He's an excellent receiver out of the backfield, with 46 catches for more than 8 YPC last season. He's still hasn't lost a step, by most reports.

Every report had the Packers trying to resign him, and they're now desperate to find another RB. We simply offered a better deal and he chose to come here. What's the problem?

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

6.5 spread over 4 years is not that bad. We still paid a lot for him though.

13. Enron

Enron Member

Good sign, but considering his recent injuries, I'd say 4 years is way too long of a contract.

14. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

he won't see 4 years here. i'll say 3 at max and it'll be a cap savings when the texans cut him with 1 year left

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

16. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

17. askball

askball Member

Good signing. Regarding the 6.5 over 4, the Texans are going to have to overpay to get free agents to come to Houston until the Texans become a winner.

18. The Cat

The same is true with almost every contract given in free agency, though. I'd estimate less than 10 percent of the contracts given out in these next few days will actually make it their entire duration. That's why the $80 million, 8 year figure for Clements is so irrelevant.

19. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

As long as the Houston Bay Broncos have a better season I'll be happy.

20. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Green has rushed for over 1,000 yards in six of the last seven seasons. The one he didnt was because of his injury. The guy is consistent.