1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NFL Network] Texans sign Ahman Green

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rikesh316, Mar 4, 2007.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

How is Green a retread? He's been one of the top most consistent RBs in the league the past 5 seasons. The fact you put Green's name along w/ Dayne's makes me seriously question your knowledge about NFL football. I'm not trying to be rude, but I don't think you're giving Green nearly enough credit.

Like you said, Green is an upgrade over DW and Dayne. Even though you think it's only a slight one, there's a good chance both of those guys won't play for us next season so I think it's a bigger upgrade then you think it is.

McGahee is a good RB, but I didn't want to have to give up picks to get a RB. We got a good RB for a decent price w/o losing picks, I think it's a pretty good move.

I understand that Green is going to be 30 this season, but I don't see how you can call Green a "retread" and McGahee a "difference maker." Despite the age difference, look at last season's stats...

Green: 266 Carries, 1059 yards, 5 TDs, 373 Receiving Yards, 1 TD

McGahee: 259 Carries, 990 yards, 6 TDs, 156 Receiving Yards, 0 TD

2. msn

msn Member

"Retread" = guys you don't like who come from other teams
    "Difference maker" = guys you do like who come from other teams

:D

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i think this is a good move. not a great move, but a good one. i have no problem with it at all, and see it as a nice step.

but throwing out a running back's stats from 3 years ago is usually not the best indication of what you can expect from him when he turns 30.

i really wish we could have acquired a receiver.

4. msn

msn Member

The offseason is still young!

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

March 5, 2007.

6. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

this will be nice when we get a healthy, consistant O line in place. right now, he will be running for his life--but he can run for his life better than anyone else we have at RB.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

As bad as our OL has been over the years, we've had a decent level of success at the running game. The last five games or so of last year was good as well.

8. MadMax

who else is left?

i think Joe Horn is out there. but i can't see the Texans bringing him in.

i'm not sure it made sense to cut moulds when there seem to be so few receivers on the market of note.

9. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

There are like eight good ( a couple potentially great) receivers in the draft.

10. MadMax

yeah, and i was hoping they wouldn't have to use a first day pick on a receiver.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

In the next six months, there's a good chance that there will be WRs available via trade or more cuts that we haven't heard about yet. It's way too soon to start panicking.

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Couple notes...

First, Green being 30 isnt the end of the world. Warrick Dunn is a couple years older...Fred Taylor is older...both backs are still very productive.

Second, McGahee sucks. Ive had him on my fantasy team 2 years in a row and have watched many, many games of his as a result. The guy is frustrating as hell. I dont think he would be any good in Kubiaks system.

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I'm a fan of Wes Welker, but I hear he's looking at the Pats.. if they can somehow trade for Moss, though, he could be an option again

Kevin Curtis is about to be gone--he likely wants to be back with Martz

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I agree, McGahee is overrated somewhat.

Dunn has been getting only 60-70% of the carries most years due to Vick, Duckett, Norwood, etc... so his age doesn't reflect the same way.

Taylor got the benefit of Jones-Drew this year at least, but he got over his injury problem before that somehow. If Green can go through the same thing Taylor did, that'll be great

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Like RM95 posted, it's still really early, trades really haven't started happening all that much and more cuts are sure to come.

Guys like Horn and Lelie are available, Antonio Bryant is also rumored to be a suitor for the Texans. I didn't like releasing Moulds, but we did pick him out of almost nowhere last season and guys like Stallworth were also available late last summer.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Some of you are acting like the Texans signed Green to be their long term franchise RB or something. He has 2 or 3 more years. The Texans know that. No one is saying this guy is turning us into a 2008 SB contender. It's still a good signing because we didn't give anything up for him, unlike in the past.

Cleaning house takes more than 1.1 offseasons.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Lelie signed with the Niners.

Wasn't Moulds due a huge pay raise? Is it inconceivable that he could resign?

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

kubiak stated moulds' release was due to performance issues, not money conerns. also, of course, david carr.

19. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Brandon Stokely (sp) is expected to be released by the Colts. Does he have anything left after the injuries he's suffered recently?

20. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

I think stokley has better stats in reliant stadium than any other reciever--including the texans' recievers!