1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NFL Network] Texans sign Ahman Green

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rikesh316, Mar 4, 2007.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Danny Clark is a good Linebacker. Very high energy guy, gets the motor running and sometimes doesn't stop... which can be good or bad. He was a special teams maven in Jacksonville and a decent MLB In Oakland. He has limits in Pass Coverage however, which prompted us to draft Kirk Morrison (Ironically with the pick we received from the Texans for Burnt Toast Buchanon) and he won the job over Clark in training camp.

Danny's a good guy though, He's a vocal leader, not afraid to speak his mind. Good locker room guy, plays like theres no tomorrow.

2. Major

Major Member

Based on the Carr = Plummer logic, the above could make sense. :)

3. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I hope they do re-sign the Great Dayne. He showed what he is capable of last season when he gets the carries and i've always liked him.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'd rather have travis henry

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Of course, Ahman Green didn't have five seasons of stats worse than Ron Dayne's on a crappy team. :)

6. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I agree. If Henry signs with the Broncos he may go for 1,500 yds next season. I dont think the Texans had the money to get a player like that.

7. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

holy crap, don't know how much green has left though, but this guy was a pro bowl type player.

8. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

I'm going to say he has two more 1,000+ yard seasons. Four seasons ago he had 1883 yards and 15 touchdowns.

9. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

Seems good enough for me. He signed a deal that was the same total as the one signed by Fred Tayor in Jacksonville a couple of days ago. However, Green is a year younger and has a bit less tread on the proverbial tire than Taylor. He has the breakaway speed that no back on this team in the past has had.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i'll add that Ahman Green is a good fantasy player too.

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I doubt that. Green is a safer bet than Henry.

Henry's YPC in 2004: 3.5
    Henry's YPC in 2005: 3.8
    Henry's YPC in 2006 before VY: 2.7

Then, with Vince Young in there, he suddenly shoots to 4.7 YPC for the remainder of the season. Did he suddenly turn into a stud? I'm not buying it. I'm buying that VY makes linebackers and defensive ends a step slow, because they're afraid he's going to keep the ball himself and go around the end. Look at how much the Texas running backs and offensive linemen struggled last season relative to expectations.

Furthermore, Green is a much better receiver... he had 46 catches at more than 8 YPC, with Henry at 13 catches for 4 YPC. Henry may be younger, but Green's the safer buy in FA. I'm afraid he's destined for a huge fall without VY.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

No way Adrian Peterson will be there at #8, so forget about him. This is a good signing for the Texans and I see no downside to it. Green will give them 2-3 productive years and you can't ask any more than that for what they paid.

Their most important move will be at QB. Still waiting on that one.

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm having a feeling that it will either be :

Quinn in the first, OL in the second

or

OL in the first, Stanton in the second

Then, giving Carr half the year to improve behind a (hopefully) improved OL before starting the rookie (if he doesn't improve).

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'll say this one more time: My son calls Brady Quinn "The Faker" and I halfway agree with him. And on Stanton, I just cannot forget the Notre Dame game. I've never seen a QB choke that bad ever in my life. 2 interceptions in the last 5 minutes to blow the game and a Notre Dame DB dropped a 3rd one right in his hands. Complete and utter self-destruction. Stanton doesn't have what it takes "upstairs" IMO. Of course, if the Texans draft, him he'll become my favorite QB in the NFL after Vince & Peyton.

If forced to choose, take Stanton in the 2nd or 3rd round and skip Quinn. Our #8 pick MUST be an impact player and Quinn didn't impress me this year at all.

15. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Yea but he was injured in those seasons. Last season he had 1211 yds 4.5 ypc and missed 2 games. If he signs with Denver and stays healthy then youcan pencil him in for atleast 1,400yds in that system.Last time he played a full season was 2002 he had 1,438yds 13td and 4.4 ypc. Green is a great f.a. pickup but right now Henry is a better back.

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I agree that when healthy Henry is really good; my concern, though, is that he seems to be prone to nagging injuries. Other than the one serious knee injury in 2005, Green has been really durable, while Henry's been prone to a number of things. I don't disagree that he has big potential, but he's risky.

17. Major

Major Member

:confused: Last time Green played a full healthy season (2003), he had 1800 yards and a 5.5 YPC average and 15 TDs (to 10 for Henry).

18. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Yea im hoping Green can give us 1,200 this season. Might be asking for alot but its possible.

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I've been saying this for a minute, connect the dots with the two main guys we have in Kubiak and Sherman. Green is a good signing because he never has to leave the field, Lundy or taylor can continue to develop and get 175 carries or so and even in 3yrs when Green may not have a lot left, he can be the 3rd down back for you. I like the carries he had last yrs with 270, give lundy or the other guy 180 and the 3rd guy gets 100. Thats about 550 which is what the denver running game would average. To make it just as good would b to get some defensive players that can get the opponnets off the field. Thats why i like Okoye at 8. In the 2nd rd i also like the best db or lb whether its merriweather,hughes,tanard jackson or Rufus alexander.

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

pleeease no patrick ramsey! if you're giving up on carr...then he's another carr...got the talent/the arm, no presence, can't lead a team, can't win.

(I haven't given up 100% on carr, though I'm close... but I'm just saying if you have, then you wouldn't want ramsey imo.)