1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New offense incoming ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chandlerbang21, Jul 3, 2017.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Same play as always, but more variations to the PnR!

2. don grahamleone

Variations that I can see us implimenting with this set of players:

Pick and High Post
    [​IMG]

The pick is really early, sorry I couldn't get in more of it in the gif, but what you see is Nash going around the pick set by #22 (I think that's James Jones). The defense switches and the pg is now guarding the bigger James Jones so he goes to post up. I propose that we could get away with this play if a few combinations of players run it. The player that sets the pick needs to be able to play in the post for it to be a two-way threat. So the best combos would be:

Chris Paul / James Harden
    Chris Paul / Nene
    Chris Paul / PJ Tucker
    James Harden / Nene
    James Harden / PJ Tucker
    (for me the jury is out on Cameron Oliver and Zhou Qi)

Imagine what all James Harden could do if he received the ball against a point guard at the FT line and no double team at the onset. I think it fits MDmA's offense quite well because a lot can happen quickly and defenses don't get much opportunity to anticipate and double if you go quick.

The Pick and Drive Baseline
    [​IMG]

Chris Paul would have to be the ballhandler on this play. The defense is forced to collapse to cut off the basket and the midrange shot becomes wide open. I'm sure this doesn't fit the immediate model of efficiency for Morey, but with a little research, I imagine you can find that a wide open 17 footer is a higher percentage shot than most midrange shots. Harden, Nene, Ryan Anderson, (Melo or Love if we can land them) can all hit that shot. However, I'd also like to add a possible variation on this play: Run the Pick and Drive Baseline, but have the guy that sets the pick become a cutter. That cutter could receive the ball from either the guy in high post (#3 in the gif) or the Steve Nash (Chris Paul) guy. This means a guy like Clint Capela can be out there setting the pick and still be in the play.

Five Defenders Lose the Cutter

[​IMG]

I absolutely love this play. All 5 San Antonio defenders got back, but the early offense still presents itself. It's low risk. Nash has almost no chance of being trapped, so you push and if it's not there, back out. If it is there, you just beat 5 defenders with two players. Issue with this, I'm not sure we have the Sam Dekker type athlete on this squad to make this play. James Harden could make it if he hustled, but he's not got the reputation for running without the ball. Trevor could be the finisher, probably Cameron Oliver or EGo. We need some speed at the wing to really make it a consistent option, but I still think it's worth sharing here.

3. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

per NBA.com/stats

Pace:
    CP3 (2016/17): 98.19 (Griffin tends to slow down a team's Pace)
    Blake Griffin: 98.71

Harden (2015/16): 99.83 (with D12)

Harden (2016/17): 102.98 (start of D'Antoni system)
    Nene (2016/17): 104.55
    Ariza (2016/17): 102.78
    Capela (2016/17): 101.19
    R Anderson(16/17): 101.80
    E Gordon (2016/17): 103.07
    Chinanu (2016/17): 101.79

Melo (2016/17): 98.48 (shot video of himself running drills on a soccer field recently....some suspect
    he wanted to get in shape for D'Antoni system). Who knows??

Ilyasova (16/17 w/Phi): 101.47 (just a name I will throw out there)

Hollingers Team Stats: "Pace" Rankings (2016/17):
    Houston 3rd: 102.5
    Warriors 4th: 102.2
    New York 15th: 98.6
    Clippers 17th: 98.2

Team Possessions per NBA Game (2016/17):
    Warriors: 103.6 (tied with Houston at 3rd/4th)
    Houston: 103.6 (tied with Warriors at 3rd/4th)

I'm of the belief that the Rockets will run the same offense with improved Pace.

Instead of Harden walking the ball up so much like he did in the beginning of the season.
    Chris Paul will run the transition more often; pushing the Pace. My guess is that CP3 will
    have the ball more in his hands due to less turnovers. I recently posted that I hope Harden
    is working this summer on his catch n shoot......because CP3 will find him the ball.

Harden will get his touches as well; just not as much. 103.6 possessions last year would be
    plenty possessions between the two this season. I expect a couple more per game for the team.
    If the team stays as is.....I see CP3 with about 12 assists per game; Harden with about 8 assists
    per game. About 20 assists per game between the two players. Both pinning their ears back
    and running down hill. This is going to be fun!!

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I want to remind you guys how huge the CP3 signing really is. Gordon Hayward, who has been on the sports news all day today, had his best year as a pro with a PER ranked at 27.

Both Harden and CP3's PER last year rank them in the top 10 of all NBA players I , 5th and 9th respectively. Let that sink in.

#24 Hakeemtheking, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  5. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I'm excited to see what teams do when they can't line their best defender up on harden all game. Don't even have to run the pick game to get different matchups. Just pass it around to wherever the weaker defender is...

Of course, we've all echoed sentiments about the 3s/layups theory. Sure, it's a good THEORY but with Paul having that deadly stop and pop around the free throw line we're sure to see that theory relaxed a bit. As efficient as Harden was last year, when the teams had the defense set up he would settle for early 3s and bricked a lot of them. Paul can keep the chains moving, so to speak.

Not only that, either one of them playing off the ball in a catch and shoot opportunity? Shazam. They're both good shooters with a hand in their face but how often does someone else make a play for them to have an open shot? Harden might shoot 40% from 3.

6. Possum

Possum Member

I'm hoping Hartenstien gets a chance. His game (from what I've seen) would fit well with harden and Paul. He looks like he's a pretty decent pick and roll guy who plays physical and has pretty good hands and can finish strong.

7. don grahamleone

Deeper Pick and Rolls

[​IMG]

I can see Paul and Capela picking a side of the court and running this play together. Nene too. There's a lot of ways to run this play, but Harden could easily get the ball to Chris when he gets to that deep spot. Either way, a deeper PnR leaves that defense seriously collapsed. You could easily have a wide open 3 by running that too.

iDunk Suprise

[​IMG]

Capela could run that.

#27 don grahamleone, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  8. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Run this with any combination of Melo/Paul/Harden and Capela, maybe even Nene

9. don grahamleone

I like the play. Knowing Chris Paul's tendencies, I could see the Rockets running that play but with the pass off guy being at the FT line.