1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New offense incoming ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chandlerbang21, Jul 3, 2017.

1. chandlerbang21

With the addition on CP3 whose a traditional halfcourt PG , how do you think the offense will change when it comes to new play calls and rotation?

Lawlruschang likes this.
  2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

3. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

the offense is definitely gonna change! Dantoni's offense is always changing! Steve Nash used to talk about how dantoni doesn't build a system and force players to fit in it. He has ideas in mind and then adapts them to his players. Our offense last year was different than phoenix 7 seconds or less offense.

The addition of cp3 makes this years team a different team. We will see how it looks but I absolutely predict some changes to fit chris paul's strengths in. I mean one of his biggest strengths is mid range lol

Yung-T, stevel and Lawlruschang like this.
  4. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

We will use either Harden and Paul in the pnr with Harden and Paul.

pgabriel likes this.
  5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I look forward to additional complexity. We have two extremely smart players running point. We have Nene who's so experienced and adapts on the fly and Capela is a sponge. I can't help but think Ryno and EGo are ready for more.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Well we will finally have someone who shoots mid range shots so we can stop hearing that complaint

7. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Harden can shoot mid range jumpers and hit them a lot. But it comes down to the game plan

Lawlruschang likes this.
  8. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Hmmm, loads of picks which ends in 3s and lobs. Basically the same as last season. Just with CP3 taking those open 3s.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

morey is god we get to watch cp3 play every night and to me he is the best player ever i hardly ever remember him committing turnover or an uninteligent basketball play

10. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but last season we went crazy with the 'three or rim' philosophy, some of our game shot charts we're crazy. So defenses started giving up the midrange.

I know the midrange jumper is less efficient coz Moreyball yada yada, but with the likes of guys like JH and CP, who are deadly from there, I'd like to see the offense diversify more.

I need some of Harden's stepdaddies, I really missed it last season.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Same offense just a little slower pace and midrange game ....... Harden should at least prepare for spot ups and back doors

12. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

I was watching some CP highlights, I think he had a 20/20 game with zero TOs, omfg need some of that here.

don grahamleone likes this.
  13. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

The offense needs to be sufficient to beat SA, GSW, Cleveland etc. in the post season. Everything else is gravy.

14. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

Capella and CP3 are the only 2 players allowed to take non-3s o_OBusiness as usual for everyone else.;)

15. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

We won't change much like everyone said we will still rely on 3s, shots inside the paint and ft. Cp3 will turn the ball less which means more points or better looks.
    Harden at times or too often tried difficult passes which turned into turnovers that turned into easy points for the other team.

Harden will take over in the 4th or at end of games or cp3 just won't have to do all the work since he got harden to help out or do his thing. Harden usually is exhausted by the end of the games and same for Chris. They both had to do all the work at the end of games. Now the other team won't be able to double them and both can create their shots or lure the defense and pass it for a better shot.

With cp3 it means
    Less turnovers
    More layups or dunks
    Easier and open shots
    Better ball movement
    No double teams for JH or Cp3
    Championship

We just need a couple of pieces. Either another star. Or great extra pieces. A big athletic center to back up nene n Capela.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

last year our offense was sufficient to beat SA, and maybe CLE. no one's offense is close to GSW.

we needed to improve our mediocre defense. CP3 and tucker definitely do that, while improving our offense. if you think about it, cp3 and bev were both all D 1st team. but tucker is 10000x better at defense than lou or dekker. cp3 is way better at offense than lou or dekker or bev. its such a huge improvement on both ends of the floor. we're looking at a 60 win team. just need injury insurance for paul and nene. a 3&D PG and rim protecting C for the vet minimum would guarantee 60 wins right now without melo or another star.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

We have two elite Pick n Roll players. Both who can also hit the outside shot. It opens up the offense for so many opportunities esp under an offensive guru like Mike AntoniO

Thankfully we don't have the idiot Kevin mcFail still here with two talented guards. He'd still run Harden ISO to death with CP3 as spot up shooter

don grahamleone likes this.
  18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I think the offense will be about the same with Harden and Paul splitting ball handling duties. I see no problems getting Paul into MDA's offense.

I suspect that Paul will flourish like Nash did.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Rockets had one of the greatest offenses in league history last year

They better not change much

Remlap and topfive like this.
  20. SemisolidSnake

We might actually have plays. That's new. ;)