1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NCAA Football] Nov. 23 Polls & BCS Rankings

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by King of 40 Acres, Nov 23, 2008.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

At least the title game will be watchable, no Big 10 frauds, this year. :p

2. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

The voters MUST NOT vote on it as if its a 3 way tie between tech, ou, and ut

It realistically is a 2 way tie between ou and ut.

THe voters are voting for the freaking natl champion. National champions do not get blown out by 45. They just dont. Tech should not be in the national champion conversation. Sorry. A reasonable case can be made that either texas or OU are the best team in the country. The voters should weigh the arguments of whether texas or OU is the better team.

And a 10 point win one month ago on neutral ground is pretty strong evidence.

I rest my case.

3. fredred

fredred Member

I'm going to laugh if OSU beats OU and Tech wins the Big 12 after getting blown out. Here's to Baylor pulling an upset Saturday.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Comeuppance? They were a way better team that California that year, loaded with future NFL players, and then went on to play in and win the most memorable Rose Bowl of all time (a title which that game held for approximately 1 year). The rest is history.

So what "comeuppance" is forthcoming/deserved? They were a good team, and they fully deserved to be there - and Mack Brown's talk btw had absolutely NOTHING to do with them getting there - this is actually a statistically provable fact. You're out of commission here.

5. RedRaiderRocket

I agree Tech should not be in the title hunt but OU just crushed us a team Texas lost to. I for one am tired of arguing why I think OU is the better team, in the end we have computers deciding which team is better. I think if OU looks more convincing in their win vs OSU than Texas did than OU should win the big 12 south, which pretty much means just winning by a touchdown.

6. Anticope

Anticope Member

So your argument is that because OU blew out on Tech last night, that it should eliminate Tech and be a tiebreaker between UT and OU and UT should get the nod?

From this ridiculous perspective, OU would have been better off barely beating Texas Tech, correct?

It's pretty amazing how Longhorn fans so easily dismiss losing to Tech yet beat their chest over and over about how they beat OU. Oh, the irony!

7. fredred

fredred Member

I'm pretty sure all fans are just trying to push the best side of the story for their respective teams. Texas will rightfully drone on about beating OU head to head on a neutral field when home field has been a constant in sides winning big games so far this year. OU will drone on about beating the team that beat Texas and about how well they are playing now, etc.
    It's politics. It's the BCS.

8. rocketshopeful

The problem with proposing tech ahead of UT at this point is that Tech couldn't even keep it respectable versus OU.

However, I could not argue with any one putting OU ahead of Texas at this point. This is not the same OU team at the beginning of the season. Their running game has progressed significantly more than any aspect of Texas' game since the UT/OU match up.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

How is that ironic? OU pretty much has the same argument just switched around and I'm sure Tech would be saying the same thing had they not gotten completely blown out.

I do think Tech should be eliminated from the NC picture, I know it's not fair since we have a 3-way tie breaker but the timing and fashion of the loss was horrible. So if we are looking at a head to head matchup between OU/UT, I would personally look at the Red River Rivalry game and consider the fact that UT's lost came on the road and by a 1 point and OU's loss came on a neutral field by 10.

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To add to this, history also notes Cal went on to lose in the Holiday Bowl to an unranked Texas Tech.

11. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

:confused: It's almost like OU hurt their case by blowing out Tech last night from what I read on this board b/c now its a simple h2h argument

I think for now on we should indentify who we root for.

I am a Tech fan so of course I think OU is the best team and deserve to be in the title game if they win out. I think most Tech fans would agree but of course we are biased from what we have seen.

Tech would have an argument but not with the way we lost last night.

75% of this board is a UT fan. Obviously we know what you think.

What are the thoughts from the neutral observers?

12. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Where Tech destroyed a devasted Cal team. Uh oh

13. Anticope

Anticope Member

This is correct except I would say the benefit to OU is that they are the only one out of the three teams that can claim that they absolutely dominated one of the other two teams. This is what I think will propel them above Texas in the next BCS, assuming they are able to handle OSU.

But don't you see what this does? This mindset of eliminating Tech because of last night's game basically punishes OU for beating up on Tech and greatly benefits Texas (big surprise).

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

which same Tech team was pwned in lubbock by Texas that year. Uh oh.

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

But you could also say that the benefit to UT/Tech is that they beat #1 teams and that UT is the only team to beat a #1 not at home.

But I do understand your point. I do think OU gets the nod if they beat Ok. St.

16. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Bama fan here, so I could really care less if we play OU or UT IF we can get by UF. That being said let me say this.

Seeing the rediculous spin being put out on this board by Texas fans is disgusting.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Spin?

UT beat OU, how is that spin?

DD

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am in agreement that they were better, I liked what Mack did....but a lot of people around the country saw it differently.

I am saying he may be getting a little bit of that back at him from buddies Stoops and Leech..

DD

19. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

There is a THREE WAY TIE!!!!!!!!!
    you all beat each other, head to head doesn't matter and you know that!

20. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

It will be crazy if UF barely beats Bama. Than to me Bama has a solid argument as well.